Bullying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Were you bullied as a child or teen?

• Yes, life was a living hell

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • No, I was mercifully left alone

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • I WAS the bully!

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Yes, life was a living hell

Was bullied for a year- all the girls in my class, made my life a living hell :| Its tough when your 14/ 15

And when my mum told my school they shouted at me- rightous catholic grammar school my :censored: :censored: - they really dont care unless your family is rich :|

I was an outcast, but due to my size (I was always taller than most kids), I think most kids realized it wasn't a wise move to harass me. That doesn't mean I was teased and made fun of. It means that I wasn't physically bullied.

Sparkysgrrrl said:

I hated the spitting...I had thick hair and half the time I wouldn't realize there was anything there till I'd already put my hand in it :crack:

One time, my mom French braided my hair for me...I have always hated the way I looked, but I really thought my hair looked pretty that day, so I was really happy. People were really shitty to me that day though. The day was finally over...I got off of the bus to walk down the road to my house...and a guy in the bus stuck his head out the window and spit a huge glob right into my hair. Way to rub salt in a wound.

*is having crappy flashbacks* :crack:

Danospano said:
I was an outcast, but due to my size (I was always taller than most kids), I think most kids realized it wasn't a wise move to harass me. That doesn't mean I was teased and made fun of. It means that I wasn't physically bullied.

I was punched in the face twice b/c these girls wanted to see me cry

I used to think I was a nice person but now i just feel pretty crappy a lot even when people say nice things and say im pretty i get angry and tell them to shut up or i blush and apologise

Taste the lack of self confidence

:crack:

The thing is with bullies....is that of you respond to them, they continue to bug you because they know they can get a rise out of you. If you don't respond, they think you're stuck up and continue to bug you to get a rise out of you. Weird, eh?

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
The thing is with bullies....is that of you respond to them, they continue to bug you because they know they can get a rise out of you. If you don't respond, they think you're stuck up and continue to bug you to get a rise out of you. Weird, eh?

yeah, that was pretty much my case...i tried to ignore them, but the girls who made fun of me, they used to corner me, and they made sure i listened. they wanted to make sure my day was ruined.

Danospano said:
Laramullen, I understand your grief, but why did you direct that to me, personally? Just curious. :)

Didnt you say about phsyically bullying....it just made me remember that and i quoted.....i didnt wanna look too random lol :wave:

Funny, I was just reading an article today in the Wall Street Journal about bullying. Anyone who has a copy, read it. It's quite sad.

In gradeschool, I seemed to be a magnet for bullies. I was scared shit, but I always fought back. Needless to say, they hated that, so they picked on me even more. When I was in 2nd grade this girl applied her karate skills :rolleyes: (yeah, right) on me and I used my Aladdin lunchbox as a shield :D, so she ended up getting bruises and I got blamed by my teacher for it. :mad::sad: A group of seventh graders made me cry when I was in 5th grade. Then in ballet class, this freakin' biatch always gave me the look. She happened to go to the same I school I went to, so I had to suffer the same fate. Unfortunately, she didn't make it to the cheering squad and I did. :madspit: That was some sort of vindication for me. :evil: Oh, when I was in 3rd grade, this 7th grader--yes, the list goes on :tsk:, who bullied me and my friend. She hated our guts because we fought back, even if we were getting palpitations like crazy. LOL. I still remember her ridiculous name. :rolleyes: I was vacationing in San Francisco two years ago, walking in the mall, when I saw her, of all people! She recognized me, but ha (!), I was taller than her! Hehe.

Anyway, I had a pretty good time in highschool, so I don't dwell on those horrible experiences anymore. It's actually funny when I think about it now. ;)

Last edited:
I was teased and bullied for a good portion of my school years. I guess I was a natural target because I was homely, shy, always had my nose stuck in a book and wore all the "wrong" clothes because my parents couldn't afford the "right" kind. Riding the school bus was particularly horrible. I remember when I was in sixth grade there were these older boys on the bus who would say obscene things to me. When I was in junior high some kids taped a sign on my back that said "I am short, fat and ugly." I'm not sure how they managed to do it without my noticing. I don't know how long I had the thing on my back until a friend finally noticed it and told me about it. I didn't really have a whole lot of friends, but I really appreciated the ones I did have because so many of the other kids were either mean or ignored me.

Life got a lot better for me during my last two years of high school. I don't know if it was because I managed to develop a few social graces or if the other kids just grew up - maybe it was a combination of both.

Reading all these stories about bullying makes me :sad: and :madspit: I wish we all could have gone to school together. We could have had our own clique!

Dude, all these horrible stories... I seriously don't know of ANYONE treated like that in my school. Well, middle school I have most of sorta blocked out of my memory, but high school... I can't believe no one spoke up and said anything. Maybe I had an overly nice high school. People got picked on, but nothing that bad, and once it passed a point someone would always tell the bully to leave his victim alone. Basically if you didn't go out of your way to be mean or annoying, the worst that would happen is the snotty people would just never talk to you. Which was fine by me.

I was teased in elementary school and a little bit of junior high, mainly because I was painfully shy and barely ever stood up for myself. Also both my older brother and sister went through the same schools, so part of it was "oh, so you're the little brother, huh?" stuff. None of the teasing was severe though (although to a painfully shy kid any teasing seems severe), and I never got physically bullied.

i was all three, really. but ultimately, i had to go with me being teased, since that was the predominant thing. it was really bad in 6th grade and beyond. 7th grade was the absolute fucking worst. according to my mom, i must've blocked a lot of the stuff out of my mind cuz i don't even remember a lot of it anymore, which certainly doesn't help.

wow
so many of you were picked on in school.
its quite shocking.
i must have been very lucky.
all i remember is 2 older boys when i was in year one, wanting me to play with them at lunch time. they used to pull my arms but it didnt last long and ive never really considered it bullying.

bullies are children with major self esteem problems and many times have been picked on themselves. its one of the biggest problems in schools today. :|

I started elementary school in a very small town where everyone knew everyone else, so I didn't get picked on very much.....I made a lot of friends, actually. We moved just before I started second grade. I was put in a school full of bratty kids from very wealthy families. Being a kid from an upper-middle class family automatically made me a target. (that how wealthy these kids were.) I also did not like to "follow the crowd".
I remember that most of my teachers were complete idiots who always managed to set me up for embarrassment in front of the class. My second grade teacher actually told the other kids that they could bully me if they felt like it because I had missed the previous day's homework.(She eventually got reprimanded for it,among other things. She did worse things to me and to other kids she didn't like.) Being friendly didn't work with these kids only made it worse- they thought that if you were nice, you must be stupid. It did wonders for my self-esteem.:|
In 7th and 8th grade things got better. I did get some of the same B.S. - but at least the teachers gave a damn. There was one girl who sat behind me in my 8th grade English class who would threaten to "beat my ass" at least once every day. She would sit there and call me all kinds of obscene names, low enough that the teacher couldn't hear her. One day I'd had enough,so i stood up, faced her and told her "You wanna say that loud enough so I can hear it? Or are you gonna sit back there like a coward? If you're gonna say it, at least have the guts to say it loud enough so we can all hear you!". I made sure that the entire class heard me. She stood up and started threatening me, but once she figured out that I wasn't afraid of her, she backed down . After class, she actually followed me to the girls' bathroom and started yelling at me. I simply went into one of the stalls, came out , washed my hands, and left without saying a word. I never got teased again after that.

High school was different. I never stuck with one
particular "crowd". I made friends with people I liked and avoided those I didn't. Although there was one kid who tried to make my life a living hell....but I was best friends with his sister. He eventually realized I wasn't so bad after all. We played a lot of pranks on him and his buddies, but that's another story.
I got involved in a lot of clubs and had good grades overall in high school.
College has been the best time of my life. I'm graduating this year with a B.S. in Broadcast Communications and I have lots of job opportunities waiting for me. I've even made myself a bit of a local celebrity with my weekly radio show. Most of the brats who picked on me in school are working crappy minimum-wage jobs. I saw one of the "popular cheerleader" girls at Wal-Mart the other day....I was buying a CD rack, she rang it up for me. How ironic. None of the bratty kids ever thought I'd amount to anything...and there I was watching this girl turn green with jealousy as we chatted . :p

I can relate well to Dieman's account because being similarily shy a lot of incidents are amplified so much more..looking back I did get the odd scattered abuse during school years..often verbal, and sometimes the occasional physical moments which looking back were never seriously motivated but at the time it felt like so much more. You find yourself as children thrown into these situations when you are at your most ignorant and vulnerable which sometimes can have many lasting consequences and I've always resented that

I got bullied pretty bad in Primary School, verbal and physical. It wasn't fun, but I see now that I was a pretty unpleasant kid at times.

I'll let you be the judge.....

335%3B5%3A5523232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E4%3B7%3E6%3C4%3Ewsnrcg%3D3232393%3B457%3A8nu0mrj

Actually - I am sure I did some bullying too. I was the oldest in the neighborhood. And was picked on outside the neighborhood by older kids. Payback?

I can't believe im posting this...

ok i win. this is the defintion of nerd right here!

335%3B5%3A5523232%7Ffp65%3Dwp%3E2326%3D9%3A6%3D599%3Dxroqdf%3E2323345%3C36683wp1lsi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom