bulk foods sections in grocery stores.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CampbellMSU

The Fly
my job takes me to various grocery stores every day. kroger's, meijer's, walmart's and then some local western michigan chains such as felpausch and L&L. now it seems like meijer's (MI, OH, IN) mainly has the selection of bulk candy and stuff but sometimes you'll see other stores with giant ass boxes of loose reese's cups and what not. when i go in the store to take care of my beer, i pilfer some of these. should i feel bad?

I'm bad then cuz I used to work for a grocery store and snacked on stuff all the time :wink:
I would think almost everyone has taken a piece of candy from those bulk bins at one point or another.

i guess it's no different than munching on grapes....i see ppl do that all the time....kinda pisses me off (the grapes thing) if they aren't going to buy the fookin grapes....and they're sticking their fingers all over them...of which i wonder where the fook those fingers have been. just imagine :no:

but it's up to you how you feel....we shouldn't have to tell you. lol.
i personally wouldn't do it.

CampbellMSU said:
my job takes me to various grocery stores every day. kroger's, meijer's, walmart's and then some local western michigan chains such as felpausch and L&L. now it seems like meijer's (MI, OH, IN) mainly has the selection of bulk candy and stuff but sometimes you'll see other stores with giant ass boxes of loose reese's cups and what not. when i go in the store to take care of my beer, i pilfer some of these. should i feel bad?

Meijer is the greatest thing since the grocery store was invented! (Have you ever been to the Meijer on 28th and Kalamazoo in Grand Rapids? I pratically grew up there!).

Just take one candy at a time from each bin and say you're "testing" it :D

EDIT: at some Meijers, you weight and put the price sticker on the candy yourself. I try and hold it off a bit, so it weighs less, but this is an art b/c the candy has to be steady for a bit before it lets you print the label. :reject:

Last edited:
I had a summer job working for a grocery store a few years back, and you could get fired for eating one piece of candy from the display, or eating a piece of fruit that had been taken off sale and left in the store room.

So while it's not exactly the worst crime, I would say it's probably not such a great idea. :shrug:

i for one can't stand walmart. i dont care how low their prices are. i go there once every six months because they have something im looking for that i can't find anywhere else. thats it. not because i want to either lol.

I don't want to sound like a snob, but I don't buy from those bulk bins. I don't trust the way they sit out exposed while people put their hands through them, maybe just after blowing their noses or whatnot. There are usually scoops available but a lot of people don't use them. I confess to being a grape tester, I don't want to buy a whole bunch if they're sour so I try one first. Same with cherries and strawberries. If only I could do that with beer! Walk into a beer store "I don't know if I want the whole case, let me try a bottle first. Okay, not quite what I'm looking for, let me try another brand" :)

can't believe i spelled 'em wrong.

but yeah, the meijer on 28th and kalamazoo, my aunt has worked there for like thirty years. i think she's in customer service now.

as for bulk food, i always figure they allot a certain amount to be *tested* by individuals.

TheGenericPoet said:
I don't want to sound like a snob, but I don't buy from those bulk bins. I don't trust the way they sit out exposed while people put their hands through them, maybe just after blowing their noses or whatnot. There are usually scoops available but a lot of people don't use them. I confess to being a grape tester, I don't want to buy a whole bunch if they're sour so I try one first. Same with cherries and strawberries. If only I could do that with beer! Walk into a beer store "I don't know if I want the whole case, let me try a bottle first. Okay, not quite what I'm looking for, let me try another brand" :)

Question for you.. ;)
How is testing grapes any different from eating WRAPPED candy from the bins? Who's to say somebody didnt sneeze on the exposed grapes or run their hands all over them?

Sicy said:

Question for you.. ;)
How is testing grapes any different from eating WRAPPED candy from the bins? Who's to say somebody didnt sneeze on the exposed grapes or run their hands all over them?

I was TOTALLY gonna ask the same thing - you KNOW that people have touched all the grapes, rifling through them for the perfect bunch, not to mention the pesticide residue on there :yuck: I'd rather lose $1 on sour grapes that get E.coli from eating unwashed ones :no:

i usually just suck on the grapes or candy beforehand to see if its good

then its not really stealing

LMFAO!!!!!! it's all about the grapes.

i see i stirred up a bit of a debate when it comes to grapes.
Beth made a great point.
of course i wash the grapes...oooh about 4 times over at home :lmao:
as Beth said...the pesticides alone are disgusting...but to think that someone had their hand up their ass, or sneezed or blew their noses and touched all the fookin grapes makes me both :angry: and well pretty much :barf:
No offense to theGenericPoet. :hug:

i'm not much of a candy person, so I didn't really have an opinion on the original question....but like the Generic Poet said, I kinda stay away from bulk bins altogether because even tho they provide many scoops, some ppl just dive right in with their hands.
:angry:

Back
Top Bottom