BTW, Red Hot Chili Peppers' "By the Way" is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
The best album I've heard this year. Period. The band has shown so much growth and diversity on the last few albums, but they really decided to push it this time around, and to great effect. There are Latin influences, breezy Beach Boys harmonies and melodies, and just an overall relaxed feel that gives perfect backing for Anthony's best vocals and lyrics ever. If you liked songs like Porcelain, Californication, and Road Trippin' from the last album, this is going to be sheer heaven to your ears. What began with Under the Bridge has now turned into a total transformation for the Peppers, and one that works. It's a beautiful thing to see a band that lost a member to heroin, made a comeback, and almost lost two more, still regain focus and continue to elevate their game. Every album the Peppers (The Frusciante line-up, I don't really consider "One Hot Minute" to be a true Peppers album, more of a side project) shows tremendous growith. This is a must-buy, and I see Grammy's in the future here folks.

Suggestions:
By the Way
Universally Speaking
Dosed
The Zephyr Song
Tear
Venice Queen

and for something completely different:
Cabron

B000067CPX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Anybody else pick this up yet?

i looooooooooove RHCP! i have a couple of albums, Californication and Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and when ive money ill be buying the new one!!

saw em at slane last year. BRILLIANT! got us warmed up for the boys!!and Coldplay got us warmed up for RHCP!! anyone like Coldplay??heard their new song, its great!

It sounds like it's going to be good and I'm buying it, but that first single sounds an awful lot like they are ripping off their own song "Parallel Universe" from Californication. Listen to them both. I like Parallel Universe better, it kicks more butt. But the new album is good and Anthony is looking hot.

Oh UL, I passed your exit a few days back and got a soda at the Sheetz. Or is your exit the Stuarts Draft/Fishersville one? Don't worry, I won't be stalking you!

ccolhandlaura said:
i looooooooooove RHCP! i have a couple of albums, Californication and Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and when ive money ill be buying the new one!!

saw em at slane last year. BRILLIANT! got us warmed up for the boys!!and Coldplay got us warmed up for RHCP!! anyone like Coldplay??heard their new song, its great!

My claim to fame- I met Coldplay

They are playing in Belfast Laura- tix are out on sale- dont tink they are sold out :cool:

Ah, I'm gonna get some shit, but I gotta ask: Do the Chili Peppers play any rock and roll? Granted, my exposure has been whatever's on TV. I see videos and awards show performances, and all I hear are slow songs which highlight Anthony's (?) off-key and somewhat tuneless singing. Didn't they used to rock, especially when they wore socks? Please enlighten me. If you feel you must, you may call me mean names, but only once per post, please.

Martha! You're in Southern Cal and you've never seen the Chili Peppers??? They rock like a mutha[expletive deleted]. The slower songs with tuneless warbling are in the minority.

MAP

UL,
I got the CD tonight as well. I agree with you. This is their best album yet, no questions. I have listened twice and am going to listen to it over and over again tomorrow at work. Usually I have to listen to their new albums a bunch to really start to like them, but not with this one.

Laura - yes they were awesome at Slane. And yes Coldplay rocks.

Everyone should go out and get this one by the RHCP in my opinion

Definately their strongest over all album ever. Wow, this is the kind of album you expect from the best bands out there, and I never considered RHCP's to be one of the best, looks like I'll have to change my opinion!

I've just bought the album this afternoon! I'm still recording it to MD so I couldn't listen to it closely, but I'm going to do so later tonight... I expect it would be good. :) :D

Forgot that I couldn't edit my post after 30 mins...

Want to add that I finally gave the CD a close listen and I want to say that I like this album! Not very quite like what I've expected to hear, but I like it anyway. :D

GypsyHeartgirl said:

Oh UL, I passed your exit a few days back and got a soda at the Sheetz. Or is your exit the Stuarts Draft/Fishersville one? Don't worry, I won't be stalking you!

That would depend on which interstate you're on. Are you talking about the Sheetz adjacent to Wal-Mart and the Frontier Culture Museum? If so, you've been to the historic Sheetz where I backed into an RV and busted my tail-light about 3 weeks ago.

martha said:
Ah, I'm gonna get some shit, but I gotta ask: Do the Chili Peppers play any rock and roll? Granted, my exposure has been whatever's on TV. I see videos and awards show performances, and all I hear are slow songs which highlight Anthony's (?) off-key and somewhat tuneless singing. Didn't they used to rock, especially when they wore socks? Please enlighten me. If you feel you must, you may call me mean names, but only once per post, please.

Yes, Anthony's singing leaves something to be desired... but it's so vulnerable that therein lies it's beauty, IMO. Also, his vocals aren't nearly as bad as they were on the Video Music Awards, if that's what you're talking about. The mix was horrible, and they'd been touring a while. I've heard bootlegs, and own the DVD of the Off the Map tour, and it's much better than that. They can definitely rock, even if you're looking at the last album, Californication. Songs like Around the World, Parallel Universe, Get on Top, Emit Remmus, Right On Time!!!, yeah, they definitely rock. Then if you go back before that, basically everything was rock-funk-rap something along those lines, excepting "My Friends" and "Under the Bridge". But I wouldn't have wanted them to play the same socks-on-their-cocks funk and roll forever. I think the two key elements in their change are

1)overcoming demons. The loss of Hilel Slovak to heroin being the first. Then you have Anthony's battle with heroin, and John Frusciante's as well. They've grown because they've plunged themselves into the darker side of life, and come through completely changed. They see life as more than just a big party now, and it's reflected in the music.

2)John Frusciante. This man is a brilliant musician and a beautiful soul. If you ever see any interviews with him, he's very frail and loves beauty. He loves the world, he loves people. He is a poet, but expresses himself through the guitar, not words. He also shares the Kurt Cobain problem, ie being afraid of success. But he's overcome all that. It's his guitar work and love for beauty and melody that I think has driven Anthony's vocals in that direction, and Flea and Chad just follow.

Also, Anthony's singing is much better on this album, thanks to some gorgeous harmonies. I read in an interview on RS that he's actually influenced by the Mamas and the Papas.

Last edited:
UnforgettableLemon said:
They can definitely rock, even if you're looking at the last album, Californication. Songs like Around the World, Parallel Universe, Get on Top, Emit Remmus, Right On Time!!!
add Scar Tissue and you've listed all my favorite songs from that album

it is an AWEOME as hell album, nah it never really ROCKS that much and thats what I LOVE about it. I'm 35 now and I've been waiting for great energy bands like RHCP to mellow out and make music for alternafreaks like me who are old now. It frickin is HEAVENLY music to the ears, hands down so far, ALBUM OF THE YEAR. The music is excellently played, great melodies and harmonies, Kiedis has a great voice. What more can I say, it is just REAL GOOD MUSIC!!!

i just got a free copy of it today (one of the perks of working in radio).

WOW.

I haven't heard anything this good in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. Cabron is kinda cool, and there are a few others that remind me of their early work.

Overall, I think this is a classic. :)

I've always been a casual fan of the Chili Peppers, but last night after watching a riveting 3 hours of them on VH-1 (Behind the Music, Fan Club, Ultimate Albums) which led to a night of psychedelic dreams about them, I could become a belatedly obsessed fan. I'm buying this record in about an hour (lunch time).

Always nice to read your great reviews, UnforgettableLemon.

ok, bought & listened to it during lunch...

love it on the first listen!

Ok, day 2 with this record and I am practically hyperventilating. This is hands down the most fun I've had in the first 24 hours after purchasing a new record since Achtung Baby. It is a masterpiece. Sixteen deeply satisfying songs, more than half of which are destined to be huge hits. Is it just me or does anyone else think this is a very important record? Like, the stuff instant classics are made of?

I predict the Chili Peppers will dominate the airwaves with this record for the next 2-3 years and possibly make them the greatest R&R band in the world. I am just knocked out, blown away, hopelessly in love with this record and after I get my Moby tickets online in 20 minutes I'm hitting the highway to blast this thing for the rest of the afternoon.

Ok, there I've said it.

joyfulgirl said:
I've always been a casual fan of the Chili Peppers, but last night after watching a riveting 3 hours of them on VH-1 (Behind the Music, Fan Club, Ultimate Albums) which led to a night of psychedelic dreams about them, I could become a belatedly obsessed fan. I'm buying this record in about an hour (lunch time).

Always nice to read your great reviews, UnforgettableLemon.

Thank you.

I think that's basically what happened to me Monday. My local music store sells albums as soon as they get them in, so I bought By the Way on Monday. So I went home, and put What Hits?!(The early compilation), BloodSugarSexMagik, One Hot Minute, Californication, and By the Way in. I was gonna listen to them all the way through, but I stopped to eat at 6. So as I'm eating, I turn on the TV, and Ultimate Albums: BSSM is on, so I watched it. Then I watched fanclub. Then I wacthed BTM. Reminded me of how much I love the band, excepting some early stuff and some of the Dave Navarro stuff. But as far as the Frusciante lineup, I'm most definitely a belated obsessive fan.

UnforgettableLemon said:

But as far as the Frusciante lineup...

I'm pretty sure this guy is a genius. I think he has so much upstairs that it's hard for him to let it all out...hence his past with drugs and his current "problem" with having a hard time finding the right words in discussions or interviews. I think to someone unfamiliar with him, he would come across as "slow." I feel quite the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom