Bruce's New Tour...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone who is still trying keep checking the TM web site, especially the day of show. They dropped Chicago tickets for tonight this afternoon. There's no set time so you just have to check as often as you can.

From what I've heard there are also droplines at the venues, you can go in the morning and get a wristband. I don't know if they pick random or in order. But there aren't that many tickets dropped that way, or online. It's worth a shot though.

setlist from last night, supposedly he did a new song!

My Beautiful Reward
Reason to Believe
Devils and Dust
Lonesome Day
If I Should Fall Behind
Long Time Comin'
Silver Palomino
Incident on 57th Street
The River
Part Man, Part Monkey
Maria's Bed
THE LINE
Reno
Paradise
The Rising
Further On Up The Road
Jesus Was An Only Son
Leah
The Hitter
Matamoros Banks

Encores

I'M ON FIRE (w/ electric banjo) :drool:
LOHAD
Promised Land
DREAM (this was the title on the setlist; a beautiful song that looks to all
the world like a NEW SONG; played on the pump organ with the synthesizer in
the background)

I was fortunate enough to get a (pretty awesome) ticket yesterday for the Chicago show. WOW, still in utter awe, just an incredible nonstop 2 1/2 hours of Bruce. He didn't even play anything off of Tunnel of Love (much my fav album of his) but nevertheless a great show.

Favs were Reason To Believe (radical reworking), The River on piano, and the rare Fire (done w/banjo). Some sites are saying that "Dream" is a Roy Orbison cover (not sure, but it was a cool way to end the show). What a concert. If you have an opportunity to see him this tour, by all means GO!!!!

Originally posted by Hawkfire

Favs were Reason To Believe (radical reworking), The River on piano, and the rare Fire (done w/banjo). [/B]

Glad to hear someone else likes this version of Reason to Believe. I was knocked out by it but I've noticed on some of the fan sites that it is nearly universally hated with a passion! I loved it. Maybe I wouldn't want to hear it every night or hear it done that way forever, but I loved it anyway. I really wanted to hear The River at my show but didn't.

Hawkfire said:
Some sites are saying that "Dream" is a Roy Orbison cover (not sure, but it was a cool way to end the show)

I've heard of his song "In Dreams" but I don't know of one called Dream

sounds like you saw a great show

I know it wasn't "In Dreams", a classic Roy Orbison song. My pal emailed me this morning that Orbison has another song called "Dream Baby" which must be it. The lyric had only 1 verse (or at least Bruce's version did), and it went something like "Dream baby dream, keeping on burning, keeping on dreamin', I only want to see you smile" etc. repeated many times. Very uplifting and cool way to end the show.

Sweet dream baby
Sweet dream baby
Sweet dream baby
How long must I dream

Dream baby got me dreamin' sweet dreams the whole day through
Dream baby got me dreamin' sweet dreams night time too
I love you and I'm dreaming of you but that won't do
Dream baby make me stop my dreamin', you can make my dreams come true

Sweet (sha-da-da-da) dream (sha-da-da-da) baby (sha-da-da-da) (sha-da-da-da)
How (sha-da-da-da) long (sha-da-da-da) m

This Orbison song is a bit of a mystery. After my previous post I decided to look up Orbison lyrics. Apparently he has songs called "Dream", "Dream Baby", and of course "In Dreams". Unfortunatey, none of the lyrics really equate to the song that was played last night. Was Bruce just ad-libbing?

I read that it is a new song, an Orbison-esque song, a nod to Orbison, but not an actual Orbison song.

:lol: Dream Baby or In Dreams? Fire or I'm on Fire?

It was I'm on Fire.

With a banjo. :hmm:

(wasn't that in your dream, too?)

Hawkfire said:
This Orbison song is a bit of a mystery. After my previous post I decided to look up Orbison lyrics. Apparently he has songs called "Dream", "Dream Baby", and of course "In Dreams". Unfortunatey, none of the lyrics really equate to the song that was played last night. Was Bruce just ad-libbing?

Interesting.

When you look at the set list on Springsteen's own web site, it lists the title of the song as "Dream" and then has Roy Orbison's name in parantheses. To me, I would think that it meant it was a Roy Orbison song.

Perhaps it is and Bruce altered the lyrics. He has a song called "Follow That Dream" which is really an Elvis song but Bruce reworked it into his own style. It could be something like that.

EDIT - To further the mystery, Roy Orbison's name in parantheses has now disappeared from the website...

Hmmm...

Hopefully a recording of this will show up soon.

Last edited:
Maybe "Dream" is a song about Roy Orbison, and the working title is:
"Dream (Roy Orbison)"
You know in the vein of "Pride (In the Name of Love)"

Richard Butler on Suicide's 'Dream, Baby Dream'

Suicide were Alan Vega and Martin Rev. They were a synth-and-drum machine duo from the late seventies who were probably role models for the likes of Soft Cell and Pet Shop Boys, but they were extremely uptempo and agressive - they used to bait the audience and even get into fights with them. I remember seeing them supporting The Clash in 1980, they were the loudest thing I've ever heard. And they were canned off. This is their one ballad. They usually sang about things like murder, suicide and insanity, but the message of this one is : you've gotta have dreams. The lyrics just goes 'dream, baby dream', over and over like a mantra. Vega's voice is quite rockabilly - his hero was Elvis - and very rough. The whole thing is much more 'in yer face' than say, Kraftwerk. He throws in the odd ad lib, like 'keep those dreamsd burning, baby', but basically it's monotonous.

The drum machine sounds really cheap, it's just a pulse going on in the middle distance, then thre's this endlessly repeated synthesised melody, a kind of sweet bell noise, very simple. it sounds a bit like The Tornadoes, who did "Telstar", making seedy, downtown New York music, like Lou Reed. Martin Rev was definitely of the two fingersschool keyboard playing. What they did was show that you didn't have to be like the Sex pistols to be aggressive. I don't know what they're up tonow. They really didn't like each other, and I doubt if they do now.

"Dream, Baby Dream' was released as a single on Island WIP6543

While "Dream Baby Dream" would have had serious longshot odds if you were trying to predict a Springsteen cover, Bruce's love of the band goes way back, with Suicide being an influence on Nebraska. In his 12/6/84 interview for Rolling Stone, Kurt Loder had this exchange with Springsteen:

RS: What bands have you been listening to lately?
BS: I listen to a lot of different types of things. I like U2, Divinyls, Van Morrison. I like the band Suicide.
RS: That makes sense: "State Trooper," one of the songs on Nebraska, sounds very much like Suicide.
BS: Yeah. They had that two-piece synthesizer-voice thing. They had one of the most amazing songs I ever heard. It was about a guy that murders...
RS: "Frankie Teardrop"?
BS: Yeah! Oh, my God! That's one of the most amazing records I think I ever heard. I really love that record.

Back
Top Bottom