Bruce's Nebraska vs. The Ghost of Tom Joad - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 12-09-2004, 11:35 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 05:16 AM
i didn't realize it either, i didn't remember it, and then i scrolled past something that looked a lot like my avatar...

Old 12-10-2004, 06:31 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:16 AM
Nebraska's songs are all demos, just Bruce and an acoustic guitar and Tom Joad's got a bit more production behind it but both sound great. Even though Tom Joad's lyrics are better than Nebraska’s and probably the highest point for Bruce as a lyricist I'll go with Nebraska because of all the classics it's there. Atlantic City is one of Bruce’s best and Reason To Believe is simply amazing and one of my personal favorites! Mansion On The Hill, State Trooper, Nebraska and My Father's House are powerful songs that are hard to beat as well.

By the way has anyone ever heard the song Vietnam that Bruce wrote Nebraska but didn’t used? It’s got a great melody, lyrics (some of them that we would soon know better) and guitar playing and I wish he had at least finished it and used as a b-side for some single from BITUSA later or something. Too bad.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:49 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:16 AM
For me, there's really no doubt about this one: Nebraska, without a doubt.

But people've been talking about cover versions of songs and the like....

There is actually an album which is a covers-only version of Nebraska. I can't for the life of me remember too much about it, but I THINK that it came out sometime last year. I don't's out there. I know that much. I seem to remember a mostly mixed critical response.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:33 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 05:16 AM
Definately Nebraska. My favorite song on it is also Atlantic City, I think someone else mentioned that in this thread. Although I must confess I liked the full band plugged in live version of the song over the acoustic one. They are both good though.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:31 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Nebraska. I love how stripped-down it is, and Atlantic City is one of my favorite Bruce songs ever. All this talk makes me want to listen to it right now!