Bruce Springsteen fans I need your advice - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2004, 06:20 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Bruce Springsteen fans I need your advice

He's always been one of those musicians I meant to look into but never really did it - till now. I bought the Rising last week.

I really like it - had watery eyes and got choked up on several occasions when I listened to it but

The only song I didn't quite get into was Further up on the road and maybe the Rising a little,
I LOVE Lonesome day, Waitin' on a sunny day, Nothing man, Countin' on a miracle, Let's be friends (this r&b/pop-ish song always makes me smile - I'd never expect to hear a rock/anthem guy like Bruce croon it away), Mary's place, You're missing and Paradise, also City of ruins (love that organ).
I like other songs too, but those stick out the most (if I had to pick a fave, it's a toss between Waitin' on a sunny day/Nothing man/Let's be friends and You're missing) and I think I will be getting more of his albums.

Soooo....where to go next when it comes to the Boss?

Apart from the Rising, I also know/quite like the songs Born in the USA, Hungry Heart, Streets of Philadelphia, Human touch, I'm on fire, Sad eyes (*ahem* the Enrique Inglesias cover).

Old 03-29-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Hello,

As a beginner, I would advise to get The Essential, his Best Of... collection (released last year) as it has most of the hits and other great tracks from his albums. However, if you want to go for full albums and not compilations...
Well, Born In The USA was the album that hit the jackpot, so you may try that one out. Many here on Interference love Darkness On The Edge Of Town (although I don't own it yet ).

But...
Bruce shines best in a live setting. If you have the chance of getting his Live 1975/85 box set, get it! He's an awesome performer. A more budget choice would be Plugged. It's not with the famous and fabulous E Street Band, but the versions on it are still great (you can see it as a mini-compilation of his Human Touch and Lucky Town albums). I dare say that Atlantic City on that album is the best version he did of it ever!

Anyway, for starters you can get The Essential, Darkness..., Born In The USA, Live 1975/85 or Plugged.
Alternatively, if you're more interested in lyrics and storytelling 'songs' (like Nothing Man, but then a full album) you must check out Nebraska or The Ghost Of Tom Joad. They mainly consist of a voice and an acoustic guitar and you have to really focus on listening to the lyrics, but the tales are heartwrenching.

I hope I could give you a few good suggestions.

C ya!

Marty

Old 03-29-2004, 10:07 AM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:27 AM
Darkness on the Edge of Town
Nebraska

Either one of those, or the Essential will do.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:31 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:27 AM
BORN TO RUN!!!!!!
LIVE IN NYC!!!!!
DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN!!!!
BORN IN THE USA!!!!
NEBRASKA!!!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
She's the One

Local Time: 05:27 AM
1. Darkness (Marty )
2. Live '75-'85
3. Essential
4. Born in the USA
5. The River

In that order.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Thank you everyone for replying so far - I think I will start with Darkness... and Born in the USA.

Yes I'm interested in his full albums - sorry for not specifying earlier.
I guess I should start with the E street band stuff and then move on to his solo stuff?

I noticed the 1957/85 set (but it's three CDs so it costs mucho money) and New York live CD in the store - and I remember seing Born to run and Born in the USA and Human touch as well - but I bet there'd be more to find in the online department.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:46 PM   #7
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:27 AM
I would say start off with the Greatest hits, not the Essential, because the essential might be a lot to take in at once.
As for studio albums I would reccomend, Darkness on the Edge of Town, followed by Born to Run.
And defanatly try to get one of his live DVDs, Either Live in NYC from the reunuion tour, or Live from Barcelona from the Rising tour. They're both great, so you really can't go wrong there.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:35 AM   #8
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:27 AM
What martha said
Old 03-30-2004, 02:45 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

well in the headache's springsteen time life series, you would start with the essentials album... just to get an overall feel for every "era" of bruce, and if you like the first set you will recieve darkness the following month... cancel anytime you'd like, sorry no c.o.d.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:13 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

The headache way to get into Bruce eh?
c.o.d.?

Actually I got Born in the USA (ahh memories...my brother used to have a tape of that album ), Darkness on the edge of town (both at a really nice price) and the New York live CD.
I listened to the first two in full, and about 3 or 4 songs of the live CD. I like

Nesskelz@aol., I saw an hour of Bruce's Barcelona show on MTV Europe - and it was impressing. While his show is more, shall I say, organic and down to earth, straightforward rocking than U2's, they certainly deserve their live reputation. He's got a real good way to fire up fans, even though it's "just a guy with a guitar" classic singer kind of performing.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:28 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

My suggested listening order, Non- Compilation, *Rising excluded*

Core:
Born to Run
Born in the USA
Live 1975-1985
Nebraska
18 Tracks (outtakes, cheaper than box set "Tracks" Must have for "Pink Caddillac", "My Love Will Not Let You Down", "Lion's Den", and "Sad Eyes")

Slightly less essential:
Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ
The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle
The River
Tunnel of Love
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Live in NYC

Fans only:
Plugged (Skip the two albums and just get this, you MUST have "If I Should Fall Behind" live)
Human Touch
Lucky Town
Tracks (full box set mentioned above)

Both GH and Essential have strong points and weakness, GH only place to get "Murder, Incorporated" and"Secret Garden"

That said, here's MY order of favorite albums by Bruce

Born to Run
Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ
Live 1975-1985
Tunnel of Love
The Rising
Born in the USA
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Nebraska
18 Tracks
Plugged
The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle
The River
Live in NYC
Lucky Town
Human Touch
Old 04-06-2004, 01:59 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I know I already posted but I just want to say that Live In NYC would be a great way to start too. The band is very tight, Land Of Hope And Dreams is a great "new" song and one Bruce's best ever IMO, best live performances of Jungleland, Two Hearts, Badlands, Ramrod, Lost In The Flood and an AMAZING acoustic version of Born In The U.S.A., great, great version of that song!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, live in NYC double CD is very good
Is the last song on CD 1 Born to run?

I was when Born in the USA started because I expected, you know, the loud organ/drum intro. Interesting version non the less.

If I should fall behind. I remember seeing a video for this song where they all trade place in front of the microphone - black and white video. Probably my favorite Bruce song at the moment.

(I forgot mentioning Secret Garden, I like that one too)
Old 04-06-2004, 02:47 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Yep, the last song on CD1 of LINYC is Born To Run. A great version! I have to say that I think the LINYC is a horrible live album, if only for it's sequencing. It doesn't flow like a (Bruce) concert. The CD-split is done between 2 songs that are entwined (Out In The Streets into Tenth Avenue Streetout) and in between there's this bonus song (Born To Run).
That said, many live renditions are very strong though (My Love Will Not Let You Down, Youngstown (!), 41 Shots) although I don't care for some others (Prove It All Night, Badlands, The River).

The best Bruce live albums are his 1978 bootlegs though (with the one at Winterland being my favourite). Awesome versions of his songs, great covers, amazing energy and more than three hours of pure rock & roll!

C ya!

Marty
Old 04-07-2004, 08:05 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Yes, live in NYC double CD is very good
Is the last song on CD 1 Born to run?

I was when Born in the USA started because I expected, you know, the loud organ/drum intro. Interesting version non the less.

If I should fall behind. I remember seeing a video for this song where they all trade place in front of the microphone - black and white video. Probably my favorite Bruce song at the moment.

(I forgot mentioning Secret Garden, I like that one too)
YES If I Should Fall behind is one of the most beautiful songs ever written and the LINYC version is AMAZING with everybody singing, Clearance’s singing voice is almost as beautiful as his playing!!! My favorite song right now too. Bruce’s sensibility is spooky!