Bruce-First Night of "The Rising" Tour, Only 21 Songs?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Just got the report off a Bruce board. I'm not saying the setlist sucks or anything, but it didn't even clock in at two and a half hours from the looks of it. :huh:

1. The Rising
2. Lonesome Day
3. Prove it All Night
4. The Fuse
5. Darkness on the Edge of Town
6. Empty Sky
7. Your Missing
8. Waiting on a Sunny Day
9.The Promised Land
10.World's Apart
11.Two Hearts
12.Badlands
13. Mary's Place
14.Countin' on a Miracle
15.American Skin (41 Shots).
16.Into the Fire

Encore

17.Born to Run
18.Glory Days
19.Thunder Road
19.My City of Ruins
20.Born in the USA
21.Land of Hope and Dreams

Oh well....I'm still excited as hell for next week!!!! :up: :D

Dont feel bad kr, Ive only heard one song and if asked on any other given day at any time who or what bruce was Id have no fucking clue lol...

I'm not familiar with the new album, but judging from the old songs on the setlist, it sounded like a pretty awesome show.

The encore is :drool: worthy.

Hell, yeah. I adore the new album, and yes, the encore rocks. :love: Seriously, if he showed up in Detroit next week and just played Thunder Road, I could die happy.

I've just always heard stories of 3 hour jams, so it was a bit disappointing to read of how short tonight's show was.

Still extremely hyped up though!!! A week from tomorrow!!
:D

Awww thanks for the report, Poodle! :yes: :)

I was hoping for I'm On Fire and Ghost of Tom Joad - but hey! The Boss is the Boss :)

21 song , not bad at all , i mean what do you want 30 with encore , i like new album , i like bruce , great !!!!!!

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

10.World's Apart
11.Two Hearts
12.Badlands

19.Thunder Road

YES!!:dance: :dance:

Also, don't forget: The man does like to yammer between songs, and some of these may have been extended. It could still clock in at almost three hours. Or I may be wrong!

Hell, yeah. I adore the new album, and yes, the encore rocks. :love: Seriously, if he showed up in Detroit next week and just played Thunder Road, I could die happy.

I LOVE that song!!!!!!!!! That's perhaps my favorite Springsteen song of all time.

"Well you can hide 'neath your covers and study your pain
Make cross for lovers, throw roses in the rain."

Heck, I couldn't help but go look up those Thunder Road lyrics....here's the complete damn song.

The screen door slams
Mary's dress waves
Like a vision she dances across the porch
As the radio plays
Roy Orbison singing for the lonely
Hey that's me and I want you only
Don't turn me home again
I just can't face myself alone again
Don't run back inside
darling you know just what I'm here for
So you're scared and you're thinking
That maybe we ain't that young anymore
Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me

You can hide `neath your covers
And study your pain
Make crosses from your lovers
Throw roses in the rain
Waste your summer praying in vain
For a savior to rise from these streets
Well now I'm no hero
That's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl
Is beneath this dirty hood
With a chance to make it good somehow
Hey what else can we do now
Except roll down the window
And let the wind blow back your hair
Well the night's busting open
These two lanes will take us anywhere
We got one last chance to make it real
To trade in these wings on some wheels
Climb in back
Heaven's waiting on down the tracks
Oh oh come take my hand
Riding out tonight to case the promised land
Oh oh Thunder Road, oh Thunder Road
oh Thunder Road
Lying out there like a killer in the sun
Hey I know it's late we can make it if we run
Oh Thunder Road, sit tight take hold
Thunder Road

Well I got this guitar
And I learned how to make it talk
And my car's out back
If you're ready to take that long walk
>From your front porch to my front seat
The door's open but the ride it ain't free
And I know you're lonely
For words that I ain't spoken
But tonight we'll be free
All the promises'll be broken
There were ghosts in the eyes
Of all the boys you sent away
They haunt this dusty beach road
In the skeleton frames of burned out Chevrolets

They scream your name at night in the street
Your graduation gown lies in rags at their feet
And in the lonely cool before dawn
You hear their engines roaring on
But when you get to the porch they're gone
On the wind, so Mary climb in
It's a town full of losers
And I'm pulling out of here to win.

I've just always heard stories of 3 hour jams, so it was a bit disappointing to read of how short tonight's show was.

Still extremely hyped up though!!! A week from tomorrow!!
:D

I agree, the new album is really wonderful. I just can't stop listening to it.

The problem with this shorter length of Bruce's shows, is that he is his own worst enemy. A 2 1/2 hour show is long by any standards, except for Bruce's. Wouldn't we all have been escstatic if U2 had played that long?

It's fun to read the Springsteen message boards, cause they are all complaining about the set list and the length of the show. Jeez, does that sound familiar or what???

Well, it's 2 1/2 weeks for me, and I'm looking forward to hearing the new material more than the old. I think I'm almost as excited as I was last year before the U2 shows!

BRUUUUUUUUCCCCEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Wow! That encore is orgasmic. It would be even better if they played Rosalita!!! :heart:

Thunder Road is one of the greatest R&R songs ever.

I haven't seen Springsteen in a long time and after reading the Time magazine cover story while waiting for my car to be serviced, I kind of got the Brucies again.

As for the set list (haven't heard the new stuff):

3. Prove it All Night
9.The Promised Land
11.Two Hearts
12.Badlands
17.Born to Run
19.Thunder Road
19.My City of Ruins

:heart:

anybody going to see him in Denver?? talk me into a road trip, please??

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:
I kind of got the Brucies again.

anybody going to see him in Denver?? talk me into a road trip, please??

I love it, the Brucies!!!!:laugh:

joyfulgirl, how about a roadtrip to Phoenix????? I'm pretty sure tix are still available!

can you believe it, some crazy guy on one of the springsteen boards actually gave me tix for Phoenix FOR FREE!!!! I don't think I ever saw that happen here:shocked:

jezebel said:

I love it, the Brucies!!!!:laugh:

joyfulgirl, how about a roadtrip to Phoenix????? I'm pretty sure tix are still available!

can you believe it, some crazy guy on one of the springsteen boards actually gave me tix for Phoenix FOR FREE!!!! I don't think I ever saw that happen here:shocked:

Phoenix is awfully tempting--that would be Moby on the 24th and Bruce on the 25th for me. :D But the Denver date works better and it's closer and an easy, beautiful drive. Plus tix haven't gone on sale so I might just luck out and get a good one.

Maybe I should visit the Bruce board and see if I can benefit from the kindness of strangers, too! I had a 2nd row GC seat close to the tip of the heart for U2 in Denver that I could not sell and almost gave it away at the show but could not even find someone to GIVE it to!! I was out $130 bucks and there was a perfect empty seat beside me. I wish I'd offered it to the bellboy at the hotel but was sure I could sell it at the show....

Last edited:
who complains about a show that is 21 songs long and two hours at least? Britney is lucky to make it through one and a half hours of strip teasing while lip syncing.

jezebel said:
I'll bet that is a beautiful drive to Denver.....

which reminds me, joyfulgirl, I'll be in your neck of the woods end of Sept, early Oct. I love the four corners in the fall:yes:

ah, the aspens will be gorgeous...another reason I'd like to go to the Denver show which is towards the end of Sept. :)

sharky said:
who complains about a show that is 21 songs long and two hours at least?

I was thinking the same thing. These guys are 50+ and, granted in great shape, but still...do they still need to prove it all night? Two hours and 21 songs...reminds me of some recent U2 shows...for almost half the price of a GC ticket, I might add. :silent:

I am just glad the fucking idoit reviewer for the New York Post Dan Aquilante did not compare it to a U2 show. he does not like U2 and goes out of his way to slam them every time they play around here...

Seems like a decent setlist, but he is known for marathon shows - I guess not this time around...

P.S. you hear about the general admission seating he is using??? sounds a lot like an idea U2 had, huh???

jezebel > Which forum do you visit? I've been looking for a good one to see what the fans think of the opening show. I was just over at circuit and they seem very disappointed for the most part. Someone said "It was a great rock & roll show. It just wasn't a good Bruce Springsteen show."

joyfulgirl said:
jezebel > Which forum do you visit? I've been looking for a good one to see what the fans think of the opening show. I was just over at circuit and they seem very disappointed for the most part. Someone said "It was a great rock & roll show. It just wasn't a good Bruce Springsteen show."

yep, the circuit is so depressing....the whining is almost as bad as some that was going on here last year :eeklaugh:

try the Stone Pony London board, hold on I'll get the address for you:

www.lacava.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

hope that works

some of the people over there are hilarious

if you see King of Milwaukee, he's the guy that gave me the tix

jezebel said:

clarity, not a problem

just go to the ticket exchange at backstreets.com

I don't have any of this:

dollar.jpg

to get any of these, from this year or any other year:

990318-ticket.jpg