Bruce At The Super Bowl?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bruce at the Superbowl. That would be a good reason to watch, huh? I love Springsteen, and I've learned not to dismiss artists just because they perform before a national audience. I think it would be against everything he stands for, but I also thought that about U2 when they agreed to perform on SNL, let alone the Super Bowl.

If he plays I'd love to hear Born in the USA, because it would give him an oppurtunity to express the true meaning of the song's lyrics and set the record straight. Too many people have that old misconception about the song being an optimistic ode to Patriotism. And then I'd love to hear The Rising, because I know he'd play it anyway.

Danospano said:
and I've learned not to dismiss artists just because they perform before a national audience. I think it would be against everything he stands for, but I also thought that about U2 when they agreed to perform on SNL, let alone the Super Bowl.

????

Can you explain these two comments?

Why would you "dismiss" any artist who "plays for a national audience?" (Whatever that means.)

And why would playing at the Superbowl be against "everything he stands for?"

What's wrong with performing on SNL? The show sucks, but other great artists in the past have performed on it. Do you think less of Elvis Costello or Talking Heads or the Stones for performing on SNL?

I'm not following you here, Dano.

I gave up on Bruce awhile back.
I hope he doesn't play, heck who cares.

If he does play, I like him to play the most important song he has written in a long time.

American Skin (41 shots)

Hi Bias said:
I gave up on Bruce awhile back.
I hope he doesn't play, heck who cares.

American Skin (41 shots)

Why in the world would you give up on Bruce, especially after releasing The Rising? Have you listened to it? and apparently, you must have "given up" on him recently, since 41 shots is a fairly new song.

look out, I think martha may be jumping in here

Danospano said:
If he plays I'd love to hear Born in the USA, because it would give him an oppurtunity to express the true meaning of the song's lyrics and set the record straight. Too many people have that old misconception about the song being an optimistic ode to Patriotism. And then I'd love to hear The Rising, because I know he'd play it anyway.

I love the idea of Bruce playing at the Super Bowl, but I think he should stay away from Born in the USA. I don't think there is any way he can play it in that setting and NOT reinforce people's misconception about it being a patriotic song - after all, the Super Bowl is considered as All-American as apple pie, etc. I never understood how anyone could have possibly misinterpreted the song in the first place, given all the other lyrics apart from the title, but the world is apparently full of idiots.

The Rising - Yes, I think we will hear it (if the rumor is true and he actually perfroms at the Super Bowl), and it will be wonderful!

jezebel said:

Sicy actually suggested this a few weeks ago

however, she was just joking

I think she needs to look at this again!

I'm gonna start another Bruce thread :laugh:

:yes: :mac:

Re: or we could name it candy's room

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I'm takin' this to the suggestion box.

:D

:drool: sweeeeeeeeet

there'll be a lot of Bruce talk this year. he's my hero :heart: I'm goin to Asbury park this weekend even :)

mmmmmm i'm only watching the VMAs fer him

Back
Top Bottom