'Brown' most disgusting ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
Show hits new lows for reality TV -- or TV in general
By Barry Garron
The Hollywood Reporter

Thursday, June 30, 2005; Posted: 8:39 a.m. EDT (12:39 GMT)

"Being Bobby Brown," the reality show spotlighting the R&B singer whose rap sheet might be longer than his catalog, is undoubtedly the most disgusting and execrable series ever to ooze its way onto television. And when you consider the competition from the celebrity reality genre alone, that's says something.

What gives "Bobby" that dismal distinction? Is it the lionizing of a lowlife convicted of failing to pay child support for his out-of-wedlock kids, drunk driving and a cocaine-related parole violation? (And let's not forget his spousal "slap-boxing" arrest.)

Is it his insufferable ego (he calls his son, Bobby Jr., "special to me because he carries my name")?

Is it his constant crude comments (he tells wife Whitney Houston to "bring that ass in quick. I'm going to show you what I'm going to do with it")?

Or is it just his disgusting persona as, in the second episode, he speaks of removing excrement from his wife's derriere? (No, I'm not going to quote him.)

It's all that, and then some. If the eight-part series was intended to improve Brown's image, it fails miserably.

Not only does it reveal Brown to be even more vulgar than the tabloids suggest, but it manages at the same time to rob Houston of any last shreds of dignity. She alternately shies from the camera and performs for them. At one point, she asks the offscreen crew of this so-called reality show, "What are we supposed to be doing here?"

It's also a question for anyone who tunes in.

U2Girl1978 said:

If the eight-part series was intended to improve Brown's image, it fails miserably.

I highly doubt that was the intent of the show. People love watching trainwrecks, look at the Osbornes. Obviously they are just trying to make money off their own trainwreck.

I have to say Who's Your Daddy is probably the most digusting reality show I've heard of.

Osbornes (although I admit I liked this one)

Anna Nicole

Jessica Simpson

Ashlee Simpson

Brittney Spears

Bobby Brown

...this is our entertainment :huh:

Would a reality show of a celebrity that wasn't on drugs, wasn't stupid, one that gave back to society, or even was talented would we watch it? Not that any celebrity that had any of these qualities would have cameras follow them around.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Would a reality show of a celebrity that wasn't on drugs, wasn't stupid, one that gave back to society, or even was talented would we watch it? Not that any celebrity that had any of these qualities would have cameras follow them around.

I know I personally would. On one hand, I'm glad that the celebrities I like haven't gone into this realm of TV, but at the same time, I kinda wish they would, 'cause I'd much rather watch them each day instead of watch people like Bobby Brown. I saw in something once...was it...TV Guide, I think...quotes from this new show of Bobby's. There was a quote from his daughter in which she said something about how she likes the family's court days because it means she gets time off from school and she gets to hang out with her dad :crack:.

Yeah. Great role model for the kid :huh:.

Anywho, this is yet another of the many reality shows I have no desire to watch.

Angela

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think you're correct about the celebrities that wouldn't do the shows.

I also think if a celebrity I liked and respected (there aren't all that many that get both) did do a reality show, I would have a tough time watching because it would feel very much like voyerism to me (well...it is :shrug: ) and that would make me feel kind of dirty, even if the celebrity allowed it.

I wouldn't necessarily mind a kind of documentary of say what goes into a tv show, movie, recording an album, doing a concert -- something on that line (and that has been done with varying degrees of success), but just following someone around during their day...that's just weird to me.

indra said:
I also think if a celebrity I liked and respected (there aren't all
that many that get both) did do a reality show, I would have a tough time watching because it would feel very much like voyerism to me (well...it is :shrug: ) and that would make me feel kind of dirty, even if the celebrity allowed it.

I wouldn't necessarily mind a kind of documentary of say what goes into a tv show, movie, recording an album, doing a concert -- something on that line (and that has been done with varying degrees of success), but just following someone around during their day...that's just weird to me.

A good point. Very true.

Angela

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom