Broooooadway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I'm finally going to see a show on broadway. I'm unbelievably excited. My girlfriend and I are going to be really busy in the following weeks. This Friday we're going to see a touring production of RENT in Norfolk, which as I'm told is actually almost as good, if not just as good, as seeing it on Broadway.

Then on March 7 we're going to go see Wicked in New York. My first real Broadway show!!!! I'm less familiar with it, though I do have and enjoy the soundtrack, but it's definitely something I wanted to see before it disappears.

We're looking at more shows this summer, possibly Avenue Q (puppet sex!!! and Callie loves the cast recording) or (I doubt she'll go for it) Spamalot. I'm also intrigued by the Elton John/Bernie Taupin scored Lestat...

Good for you, I've never seen a show on Broadway either

I guess everyone's going nuts buying tickets for Julia Roberts on Broadway, I can't remember the name of the play.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I'm finally going to see a show on broadway. I'm unbelievably excited. My girlfriend and I are going to be really busy in the following weeks. This Friday we're going to see a touring production of RENT in Norfolk, which as I'm told is actually almost as good, if not just as good, as seeing it on Broadway.

Then on March 7 we're going to go see Wicked in New York. My first real Broadway show!!!! I'm less familiar with it, though I do have and enjoy the soundtrack, but it's definitely something I wanted to see before it disappears.

We're looking at more shows this summer, possibly Avenue Q (puppet sex!!! and Callie loves the cast recording) or (I doubt she'll go for it) Spamalot. I'm also intrigued by the Elton John/Bernie Taupin scored Lestat...

Rent's soundtrack is really good and everyone I know that saw it said it's a great show :up:

I'm seeing Wicked on March 12, I've been waiting for over a year to see it....you should enjoy that show very much :yes:

Spamalot sounds hilarious (I have the soundtrack) and I've heard Avenue Q is also hilarious and a great show as well!!! :lol:

I hope you enjoy the shows :dancing:

UnforgettableLemon, have a great time!

I grew up in Jersey & we'd always go up for school trips. Was lucky enough to see:

RENT
Lion King -- Original Cast, twice
Les Mis
Aida
The Producers
Avenue Q

I haven't seen Wicked yet, but I've heard it's fantastic. You'll have a great time! I just saw Avenue Q in December & I'd highly recommend it if you have the chance. :yes: Spamalot is supposed to be great, too, and I think it's coming here to DC soon, so that's probably where I'll catch it.

Enjoy!

Utoo said:
UnforgettableLemon, have a great time!

I grew up in Jersey & we'd always go up for school trips. Was lucky enough to see:

RENT
Lion King -- Original Cast, twice
Les Mis
Aida
The Producers
Avenue Q

I haven't seen Wicked yet, but I've heard it's fantastic. You'll have a great time! I just saw Avenue Q in December & I'd highly recommend it if you have the chance. :yes: Spamalot is supposed to be great, too, and I think it's coming here to DC soon, so that's probably where I'll catch it.

Enjoy!

I :love:ed Aida...it's one of my favorite shows, I saw it twice :heart:

circa1992 said:

I :love:ed Aida...it's one of my favorite shows, I saw it twice :heart:

Gotta love Adam Pascal's voice..... Unfortunately, I didn't see him in it..but it was still good. For some reason, I thought it seemed kind of short :shrug: Maybe I just got into it pretty well!

Utoo said:

Gotta love Adam Pascal's voice..... Unfortunately, I didn't see him in it..but it was still good. For some reason, I thought it seemed kind of short :shrug: Maybe I just got into it pretty well!

I got to see him in the the second time, I was so happy :heart:

So RENT was amazing. I wept and laughed, and the audience was really receptive, though the group in front of us was squirming a lot during "I'll Cover You." I bought my girlfriend a little stuffed cow with a "Moo with me" shirt (reference to "Over the Moon"'s Elsie, of course) and she loved it.

You know, the cast was really good. The girl playing Maureen didn't have the vocal bombast of Idina Menzel, but she seemed more suited to the way I perceive the character. The one I was most impressed with, though, was Bryce Ryness, who played Roger. I think he's better than Adam Pascal. I like Pascal's vocals most of the time, but Ryness was more consistent and emotive - I really believed the character and it was never overwrought.

In terms of emotional connection, though, it's all about Collins and Angel. When Mimi sings "Without You" and Angel is in the hospital bed, it's sad. Then Collins climbs in the bed and holds him... I got pretty damn near hysterical. Even through "Contact" I couldn't hold it back. I knew what was coming, though I'd never seen his exit before... the ethereal quality was powerful. And then Tom Collins sings the reprsie of "I'll Cover You" and the entire house just goes off afterwards. THAT was a powerful moment.

In short, that was the best experience I've ever had seeing a show on stage. I'm glad the show isn't all that bloated - with the right cast members, the show could still go up without a lot of money on effects, which keeps the focus where it belongs - on the characters and the relationships.

Other great moments -

La Vie Boheme (!!!)
Over the Moon
Christmas Bells (works so well with the visuals, it's hard to follow on the cast recording)
The finale

And Out Tonight... :combust: :combust: :drool: :combust:

I had no idea Rent was playing in Norfolk. Please tell me you haven't left the beautiful Shenandoah Valley for that shithole. Have a good time in NYC!

OMG!! I was just talking to someone about Broadway shows we've seen and heard about Wicked! A co worker is going to see it in NY the end of March. It looks great and I'd love to see that show! I've seen CATS and Phantom of the Opera. Broadway is unlike any movie or stage play you'll ever see. It's almost like being at a rock concert! I love them!

You'll have to check back and give a review of Wicked! :applaud:

U2Kitten said:
I had no idea Rent was playing in Norfolk. Please tell me you haven't left the beautiful Shenandoah Valley for that shithole. Have a good time in NYC!

No. I plan on leaving the Shenandoah Valley at some point though. Probably for New England. I'm still living and going to school in the Valley. My girlfriend and I just made a daytrip to see the show.

The only time I've been to NYC was JFK airport for a few hours of layover :reject:
However I hope to go some day soon and see Broadway shows :up:

As for Norfolk being a "shithole"...ummm...I like all the water and scenery but my roomie and I got lost there the other night and we were very uneasy :uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom