Broomrape Lane, Lake Havasu City, Arizona Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's like, I can have candy (not too much) or a can of regular soda (7UP because I'm not allowed to have caffeine.) in a day's time and still be OK, so sweets aren't too much of an issue unless I take in a bit more than that.
That cordial would probably send me into one of these misery spells if I had one. My 16th birthday cake did it to me because it had too much sugar in it. It was so sweet that it made me sweat as I ate it.
I don't typically (or never did) get on sugar highs. It never affected me.

Yikes! I just don't seem to respond to stuff much at all, whether it's sugar or booze or whatever. I remember once when I was trying to stay up very late (4am when I normally went to sleep at 10pm), I had a glass of fizzy drink at about 3am when I was this close to falling asleep and for a couple of minutes actually felt a slight surge thanks to it.

Oh, and I do respond far too much to those nasty energy drinks like V and Red Bull! Give me one of those and I'll probably go walk around the block twenty times without building up a sweat.

You can hear Van Diemens Land in the background of WUDM?

Now, I'm going to have to try and hear this carrot stick thing

Yeah. I can't remember exactly when it is off the top of my head, but it's buried deep in the mix. There's LOTS in WUDM's mix, and it pretty much shoots holes in the "they had insufficient time on Pop" theory. Either they're just being revisionist twats with their own history, or they wasted far too much time on WUDM at the expense of everything else and only have themselves to blame for poor time management!

Yikes! I just don't seem to respond to stuff much at all, whether it's sugar or booze or whatever. I remember once when I was trying to stay up very late (4am when I normally went to sleep at 10pm), I had a glass of fizzy drink at about 3am when I was this close to falling asleep and for a couple of minutes actually felt a slight surge thanks to it.

Oh, and I do respond far too much to those nasty energy drinks like V and Red Bull! Give me one of those and I'll probably go walk around the block twenty times without building up a sweat.

Yeah, it's a pain in the arse. It depends on what the source of the sugar is though. Carbs, for example, don't tend to do it. So I can eat as much rice and stuff like that as I want without a problem. But straight sugar from cakes and stuff will do it if I've had too much. Again, must stress that it does take a little bit for it to actually happen, so I am pretty convinced I deserve it when it does!

When I was still a soda drinker, I was able to drink a can of soda and go straight to bed. Never kept me up at all.

And as for energy drinks? Those usually make me miserable. I never do bother with those. They don't affect me much except make me feel like I'm going to vomit for an hour or so.

God, it's not like anybody was even here :rolleyes:

You got a problem with talking to yourself? :down:

(Actually, I am pleased to say that for all my postwhorishness, I have never gone on a lengthy spree of talking to myself on the threads like some have done!)

Yeah. I can't remember exactly when it is off the top of my head, but it's buried deep in the mix. There's LOTS in WUDM's mix, and it pretty much shoots holes in the "they had insufficient time on Pop" theory. Either they're just being revisionist twats with their own history, or they wasted far too much time on WUDM at the expense of everything else and only have themselves to blame for poor time management!
I have a new theory regarding the reasoning behind VDL's presence there.

VDL was written by Edge, and has a sort of desperate, although not directly religious feel to it. In U2 by U2 they said that Edge was the one who came up with WUDM and wrote the opening lines while depressed after his separation from his first wife.

So you can kind of see the connection there, to have this depressed, angry at God song, and then buried underneath it, a plea of 'hold me now, oh hold me now'. Also, in the middle 8 Bono's essentially telling you to listen to the hidden message underneath the music :hmm:

Yeah, it's a pain in the arse. It depends on what the source of the sugar is though. Carbs, for example, don't tend to do it. So I can eat as much rice and stuff like that as I want without a problem. But straight sugar from cakes and stuff will do it if I've had too much. Again, must stress that it does take a little bit for it to actually happen, so I am pretty convinced I deserve it when it does!

When I was still a soda drinker, I was able to drink a can of soda and go straight to bed. Never kept me up at all.

And as for energy drinks? Those usually make me miserable. I never do bother with those. They don't affect me much except make me feel like I'm going to vomit for an hour or so.

Huh, that's weird, and a pain. I just have to watch out for egg, myself. If it's just one egg thoroughly mixed and cooked through something big like a cake, I'm fine. But if it's six eggs, then I have to be a bit careful.

Yeah, same here. Unless I am astonishingly tired like in that example and actually pushing myself to stay awake when my eyes want none of it, I don't feel any effects from fizzy drinks. But energy drinks can go to hell. They taste nasty and they make me feel so restless that I end up pacing everywhere if I can't actually go out for a walk.

You got a problem with talking to yourself? :down:

(Actually, I am pleased to say that for all my postwhorishness, I have never gone on a lengthy spree of talking to myself on the threads like some have done!)
The closest I came was noting the new stuff I was hearing on Pop, but at least that was kinda constructive.

Currently listening to Zooropa :love:

Carrot Stick! :lmao:
That is so awesome. I am gonna stop skipping this song now. I never noticed that before.

You were skipping WUDM? :tsk:

If you ask me, it has some of U2's best lyrics, and is one of the top four songs on Pop.

The closest I came was noting the new stuff I was hearing on Pop, but at least that was kinda constructive.

Currently listening to Zooropa :love:

Yeah, I think I've sort of blathered to myself with rugby commentary and DI lists and stuff, but in a sense that I hope somebody shows up and joins in on the conversation rather than talking to myself simply to keep the thread kicking.

I enjoyed the thoughts you put up about Pop. I'm dying here without good headphones but I don't know what new pair to buy. I want something good, with a strap around the back of the head rather than over the top, and not too expensive! So I'm taking my time to find something I like rather than just buying the first relatively cheap pair I see. Had bad experiences with cheap headphones in the past and this time I want something that's going to last rather than crap out on me after 18 months.

Huh, that's weird, and a pain. I just have to watch out for egg, myself. If it's just one egg thoroughly mixed and cooked through something big like a cake, I'm fine. But if it's six eggs, then I have to be a bit careful.

Yeah, same here. Unless I am astonishingly tired like in that example and actually pushing myself to stay awake when my eyes want none of it, I don't feel any effects from fizzy drinks. But energy drinks can go to hell. They taste nasty and they make me feel so restless that I end up pacing everywhere if I can't actually go out for a walk.
It definitely is weird. I think it's just because straight sugar is...well, straight sugar! And carbs have to be broken down and aren't as useless. And speaking of rice, I think I am gonna get some chinese for lunch tomorrow. :drool:
Are you allergic to egg?

Caffeine never really did wire me out in soda and sugar obviously doesn't. All caffeine does to me is give me a headache. :down: Not worth it, it AND energy drinks can go to hell! I've had a decent tasting energy drink before but it did not leave me feeling so decent!

You were skipping WUDM? :tsk:

If you ask me, it has some of U2's best lyrics, and is one of the top four songs on Pop.

Not all the time. I generally like it but it's not a song I'll listen to every time it comes up on shuffle.
But now that I've heard the carrot stick thing both times...:laugh: skip no more!

I have a new theory regarding the reasoning behind VDL's presence there.

VDL was written by Edge, and has a sort of desperate, although not directly religious feel to it. In U2 by U2 they said that Edge was the one who came up with WUDM and wrote the opening lines while depressed after his separation from his first wife.

So you can kind of see the connection there, to have this depressed, angry at God song, and then buried underneath it, a plea of 'hold me now, oh hold me now'. Also, in the middle 8 Bono's essentially telling you to listen to the hidden message underneath the music :hmm:

Hm, that's not bad; sounds plausible to me. They did also spend FOREVER on the song, since the "wake up dead man" lyric's lineage traces back to 1990 and a more rocking version of the song existed in 1993. So I can see how it ended up so thought-out and heavily layered, especially given U2's attitude towards creating music at the time.

You know, in order for me to stargaze.. I need for it to stop raining and the skies to clear..

Or build a staircase up above the cloud-line

Move to the peak of Everest. Doubt clouds are going to get in your way much from there! You can gaze at them below you ...

Yeah, I think I've sort of blathered to myself with rugby commentary and DI lists and stuff, but in a sense that I hope somebody shows up and joins in on the conversation rather than talking to myself simply to keep the thread kicking.

I enjoyed the thoughts you put up about Pop. I'm dying here without good headphones but I don't know what new pair to buy. I want something good, with a strap around the back of the head rather than over the top, and not too expensive! So I'm taking my time to find something I like rather than just buying the first relatively cheap pair I see. Had bad experiences with cheap headphones in the past and this time I want something that's going to last rather than crap out on me after 18 months.
I have never found over-the-top-of-the-head headphones that fit my head, they're always too big, and it's not like I have an overly small head or anything :eyebrow: The ones that fit over your ears or around the back of the head have never given me trouble.

Although since I got my iPod, I've been all about earbuds. Except the Apple ones were painful. Some cheap JVC ones were a decent replacement. But now these in-ear ones are awesome, and they don't hurt at all :)

You know, in order for me to stargaze.. I need for it to stop raining and the skies to clear..

Or build a staircase up above the cloud-line
Last time some people tried to build a staircase above the cloud-line, a bunch of languages were invented :shh:

It definitely is weird. I think it's just because straight sugar is...well, straight sugar! And carbs have to e broken down and aren't as useless. And speaking of rice, I think I am gonna get some chinese for lunch tomorrow. :drool:
Are you allergic to egg?

Caffeine never really did wire me out in soda and sugar obviously doesn't. All caffeine does to me is give me a headache. :down: Not worth it, it AND energy drinks can go to hell! I've had a decent tasting energy drink before but it did not leave me feeling so decent!

Yeah, egg and I don't get on too well, though if you want a wall redecorated, feed me an egg, point me in the right direction, and wait a couple of minutes.

Can't say I've ever noticed a reaction to caffeine, but then again, I've only rarely had it in notable quantities. As for energy drinks, I barely see much of a point to them anyway ... at least not if you're somebody who leads a life like mine anyway.

I have never found over-the-top-of-the-head headphones that fit my head, they're always too big, and it's not like I have an overly small head or anything :eyebrow: The ones that fit over your ears or around the back of the head have never given me trouble.

Although since I got my iPod, I've been all about earbuds. Except the Apple ones were painful. Some cheap JVC ones were a decent replacement. But now these in-ear ones are awesome, and they don't hurt at all :)

My main problem with over-the-head headphones is that the strap crushes my hair! I end up looking like a complete moron, with this flattened line through the middle of my head from the headphones.

As for earbuds, I've had just cheapie ones from a discman and my iPod and what-have-you, but never tried any really good ones. Not so sure I'm keen on the idea. They're bloody useful for when I'm out and about with the iPod, but at home, I find I'm more comfortable with proper headphones. I would love some cordless headphones so that I can walk around the house, but I've read that they really don't give ideal sound quality and are shockingly expensive for what they do.

Yeah, egg and I don't get on too well, though if you want a wall redecorated, feed me an egg, point me in the right direction, and wait a couple of minutes.

Can't say I've ever noticed a reaction to caffeine, but then again, I've only rarely had it in notable quantities. As for energy drinks, I barely see much of a point to them anyway ... at least not if you're somebody who leads a life like mine anyway.
Ick, that's terrible! I love egg. Just one thing: I hate the yolk. I don't care if it's hardboiled, fried up normally any style, nope, nope and nope. Yolk is fucking nasty and dry tasting and ew.

I don't see the point in energy drinks, fullstop. Why would you want to get a short burst of energy and feel worse afterwards? :huh:

Also:

What the fuck is it with people hating on songs like Babyface and Miami?

Why can't U2 be goofy?

Not everything has to be fucking Streets :madwife:

Because they sound fucking dreadful? Though to be fair, Miami was seriously rockin' live. But that doesn't reduce my dislike for the awful-sounding studio version. Miami is rather like Party Girl in that sense: dodgy studio version but really comes into its own on stage. Nothing was ever going to save Babyface, though ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom