Broomrape Lane, Lake Havasu City, Arizona Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I had done that with U2. I'm pretty sure it wnet something like ATYCLB, Best o80-00, Achtung Baby, 90-80, War, TUF, Pop, Zoorpa, Boy, TJT October

wf is missing from this list ause I know that's not enough.

You're missing RAH and HTDAAB.

In the beginnign I always knew that Bono was the lead singer, Edge was the guitar player, Larrywas the hot gu,y, and as far as I knew, Adam was the drunk

I'm just starting WOWY now.

I don't care how overplayed it is. It never gets old. I love the intro.

I wish I had done that with U2. I'm pretty sure it wnet something like ATYCLB, Best o80-00, Achtung Baby, 90-80, War, TUF, Pop, Zoorpa, Boy, TJT October

wf is missing from this list ause I know that's not enough.
awww, sars. i just always have to buy the albums in order. i did this with U2, duran duran, split enz, crowded house...any band i've been/am nuts about, really.

Okay, everybody's sharing their U2 stories.

The first time I remember hearing U2 was the One video with the buffalos, which even at that young age, I recognized as being an unusual video. But though I remembered the video for years to come, the song had no impact on me, and it wasn't until after I got into U2 and read about that version of the video that I made the connection.

Anyway, I first started paying attention to U2 when the Numb video came out. It got a lot of play, and the video was so whatthefuck. I remember Lemon too. And my brother had Zooropa on cassette, although I don't recall ever listening to it. Then there was HMTMKMKM which I thought was awesome.

Fastforward to 2004. In the religious fervor of my teen years, I managed to miss out on ATYCLB completely, and have no memory of hearing/seeing the videos for Beautiful Day and Elevation, although they must've got a lot of airplay. By 2004 I'd left most of my religious feelings behind, but when the iPod ad came out, I started getting into Vertigo, and when I finally heard the full version, 'your love is teaching me how to kneel' caught my attention, so I started reading up on the band, and I got really interested in the band's religious background. I liked that they could be religious in their personal lives (and sometimes in their music) but still be rockstars who smoke, drank, swore, and were sexual. It was the kind of thing I wanted to believe it was okay to do.

Then I started digging into their back catalogue, racking up most of the popular songs, and then buying the albums and fully immersing myself in the online fan community.

i loved ishywilf (that's how i pronounce the title, suck it) when i was a kid. i thought the video was hilarious.

fun fact: when i was younger, i didn't know who was who, really. i thought adam was some random drunk they kept showing.

I pronounce it as Ish-if-will-if. I like Ashley's Shellfish, though. :laugh:

And yeah, Ian's call on Adam being a random drunk is spot on.

awww, sars. i just always have to buy the albums in order. i did this with U2, duran duran, split enz, crowded house...any band i've been/am nuts about, really.

I tried to do my best to do it with Springsteen, though I reuined that by hearing Magi (this most recent album) first, followed by Born To Run (his third album). Then I heard The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle (his second album) THEN Asbury Park (his first album) but asfter that i pretty much heard it all in order, though I got a little lazy with his most recent albums...pretty mcuh the 70s and 80s I listened to in order

WOWY.

Still like the studio version. Needs Shine Like Stars and a solo, though.

The Edge saying it doesn't need a solo is just lying to cover up a mistake.

Agreed totally.

Also, the remaster really brings the goods on WOWY, around the "WAAAA-AAA-OOOH" part especially.

I tried to do my best to do it with Springsteen, though I reuined that by hearing Magi (this most recent album) first, followed by Born To Run (his third album). Then I heard The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle (his second album) THEN Asbury Park (his first album) but asfter that i pretty much heard it all in order, though I got a little lazy with his most recent albums...pretty mcuh the 70s and 80s I listened to in order
:lol: i did listen to all the bruce stuff in order, despite phanan telling me to start with another album instead.

It's always been Wowwy for me...like Wow-e:huh:

an I love that osn,g but Ian's right, we need to shine like stars in the summer night :grumpy:

ODES SOMEONE HAVE MOLLY'S NIPPLE LINKE IN A SIG OR SOMETHING/! I just ended up in Moly's niple AGAIN?!

The early days of PLEBA
:lol: yeah. my aunt was all about bands with hot lead singers. i remember her saying michael hutchence of inxs was hotter because bono was married. so i didn't know a thing about the actual band, just the marital status of both singers :lol:

she also got into bush in the mid to late 90s, though i never liked them :hmm:

Anyway, I first started paying attention to U2 when the Numb video came out. It got a lot of play, and the video was so whatthefuck.

Wow, I can't imagine hearing Numb on the radio or TV or anything. The video's fucking awesome.

Fastforward to 2004. In the religious fervor of my teen years, I managed to miss out on ATYCLB completely, and have no memory of hearing/seeing the videos for Beautiful Day and Elevation, although they must've got a lot of airplay. By 2004 I'd left most of my religious feelings behind, but when the iPod ad came out, I started getting into Vertigo, and when I finally heard the full version, 'your love is teaching me how to kneel' caught my attention, so I started reading up on the band, and I got really interested in the band's religious background. I liked that they could be religious in their personal lives (and sometimes in their music) but still be rockstars who smoke, drank, swore, and were sexual. It was the kind of thing I wanted to believe it was okay to do.

Back before I was an atheist, the religious side of things was an angle I appreciated too, especially in songs like UTEOTW and WUDM that weren't your usual over-positive bullshit religious fare. It was nice to hear a band writing songs that tackled the deeper and less bright and happy issues in religion, and write it in such a way that you could connect to it in non-religious ways too. Even as an atheist, I still think that's one of U2's best points, that (with the exception of some of their recent crap, like Yahweh) they bring together multiple perspectives rather than alienating them.

HAHA EVEN THOUGH I'M DRUNK I FIGURED IT OUT! It's Khan's sig. That quote from Ax is from Molly's Nipple :madspit:

So, Anna, did you go to Lovetown?

Nah, I missed it. I don't think I understood concerts until I got my first tickets to a show with The X Factor tour with INXS. And HOLY SHIT WAS THAT THE BEST FIRST CONCERT!!!
:combust:
Unfortunately, I thought all bands were that good live, and it set a rather high benchmark which few could challenge and meet. My musical history was a lot like all of yours, I think. My mum had the hugest vinyl collection on the planet and she got us into everything with a passive positive approach. Music was always on and we never really gave it much thought. I realised a conscious love for music with U2 and AIWIY, and then Dire Straits, INXS, Icehouse, etc., saw my first concert in '89 (or was it '90??) and realised music is actually a hobby and some people do music the way some people do books or art (or all 3 if you are me). It was this awesome period of naive but exciting discovery. I had no internet, obviously, but discovered music everywhere. A weird neighbour would have a garage sale, so I'd nip over and flick through his collection - picking up a double Clash, Bowie, the Cars Cd's. I'd wander into Cash Converters and pick up Hoodoos for $5. The radio taught me Pink Floyd. Good times everywhere. I wish I could go back to it, to be honest -to erase all knowledge and re-learn and enjoy every step of the learning curve.

Why I am so maudlin and reminiscent is beyond me... I'll shut up now.
:sad:

I've started to dig Bullet studio again recently. Larry actually performs decently here, for a change.

Still, it has absolutely nothing on the ZooTV version, with Edge's fuckin' rockin' guitar and Bono's sheer anger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom