Brokeback Mountain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't wait to see it either! Once our transit strike is over, I'll make sure to get on uptown to see it!!

saw it friday, great movie indeed:up:

:bow: ledger's performance was incredible, definitely a good change from the typecast medieval hero hunk crap

definitely a movie everyone should see,
even my boyfriend thought it was a great film

I'm anxiously awaiting this film finally arriving in theaters near me....

Jake and Heath :drool:

:wink:

i thought this movie was beautiful to watch. ang lee is a terrific filmmaker. heath did a great job with his character. and jake is just beyond beautiful... :drool:

i hope it wins lots of awards. :up:

This looks like a movie that could only do well in the U.S. Maybe it is me, I do not think that it will generate much appeal outside of here...

And the fact that it won best picture at the Golden Globes, tells how much of a crappy year for movies we have had. :down:

U2@NYC said:

And the fact that it won best picture at the Golden Globes, tells how much of a crappy year for movies we have had. :down:

hmmm... have to disagree with you. i think it was an excellent year for movies: 'Capote', 'Match Point', 'Syriana', 'Goodnight & Good Luck', 'Pride and Prejudice'... the list goes on. and i think that 'Brokeback' fully deserved to win- it was a beautiful, subtle film that featured nuanced performances by fine young actors. moreover, it explored gay relationships in a new way, often overlooked by Hollywood (which usually only produces the 'gay best friend' stock-character).

as for it not doing well in the rest of the world, you're probably right... sadly, many places- including parts of the USA (Utah comes to mind)- have yet to accept open homosexual relationships. :sigh: but perhaps films like this will help to make a bit of a difference. :shrug:

Last edited:
BrownEyedBoy said:
I have a question: is this movie "explicit" or disturbing in any way? I don't want awkward moments at the movies....

Wow . . . that is a hard question to answer. You will have to better define what you believe to be disturbing or explicit.

Do you mean explicit sexually? And do you mean explicit homosexually or even heterosexually? Because as Irvine pointed out - there are a lot more heterosexual love scenes.

And it is an emotionally disturbing movie - very powerful emotionally and there is some violence. I was disturbed by some of the storyline [and I hate to give too much away] but not by some stuff that you may find disturbing.

There is one scene at the beginning that is explicit, and a couple of others between men and women that are.

It wasn't really all that explicit in my opinion, I have seen far more sexually explicit movies. It is clear what is going on but you don't really see it. I agree w/ Yellow Kite, the storyline and the emotions involved are far more "disturbing".

MrsSpringsteen said:
There is one scene at the beginning that is explicit, and a couple of others between men and women that are.

It wasn't really all that explicit in my opinion, I have seen far more sexually explicit movies. It is clear what is going on but you don't really see it. I agree w/ Yellow Kite, the storyline and the emotions involved are far more "disturbing".

And even the scenes are more explicitly implied than actually showing anything [besides the boobs - which somehow has become almost necessary and blase at the same time].

Yes that's true

I think it's well worth it for anyone to try to overcome any hesitations they might have about the sex in order to see this movie. Everyone has different comfort levels but for me there are so many movies I've seen that make me FAR more "uncomfortable"

One I can think of off the top of my head is American Beauty

Brokeback Mountain really isn't about two men having sex, not at all

brokeback_mountain1_copy.gif

HelloAngel said:

Why do you say that?

Because, in general, I have been disappointed with many of the movies that have come out... in a more competitive year, I think Brokeback Mountain would not be receiving all this recognition.

Back
Top Bottom