Broaden my musical horizons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How can we introduce you to new stuff when we don't know what stuff you've already heard? :p :D

sigur ros (from iceland)

beethoven bach and mozart.

thats about all you need really.

BC, simply suggest something, and if I've heard it, I'll let you know. Warning though, I own quiiiiiiiiiiite a few CDs... so I'm already pretty broad.

Bear, thanks. I've listened to Sigur Ros before, very talented, but I can't really get into them. Bach, Beethoven and Mozart --> :up:

Last edited:
Pete Yorn, Rufus Wainwright, Loudon Wainwright (if you can deal with folksy stuff :)), The Hives and The White Stripes are all on my plate as of late. But if Had to narrow it a bit I'd vote for Pete and Rufus....go become one with the music!

haha @ the hives. i really like their latest song, that video is hilarious.

their bassist is almost as ugly as i am, lol, and hes got a solo in there...classic.

Jurrasic 5, the Slackers, Toots and the Maytals, Deltron 3030, Stiff Little Fingers, The Clash, Rancid, David Byrne, Gorillaz, Beck, Cibo Matto, Blackolicious.

I don't know what kind of music your into aside from U2 of course, but I'll suggest some of these artists that have really influenced and impressed me.

Elliott Smith - Before I came across this dude Radiohead were my undisputed 2nd favorite band...now I'm not so sure. This guy can write such amazing songs with complex yet catchy structures. Lyrics that are clever and a voice that is soft around the edges. My number 1 recommendation!
try: waltz#2, miss misery, Say Yes, Son of Sam, Junk Bond Trader for starters...you'll be hooked then ;)

Ours - Want something a little more rocking? Well their debut album is just about as flawless as flawless can be! A voice that will make you think of Jeff Buckley at times and Thom Yorke at other times. They have a new album coming out in the fall..it wil rock!!
try: Fallen Souls, Medication, Dizzy, Here is the Light, Temporary Loss(new bootleg)

Mogwai - :drool: The kings of underground rock as far as I'm concerned. Dynamic songs that could be rocking at one point and then make such a unqiue transition to trancey slow music that you won't even realize the tempo has changed. This structure pervades most of their songs, which tend to be over 10 minutes long...10 minutes of musical bliss!
try: Take me Somewhere Nice, Sine Wave, Dial:Revenge

The Frames - another Irish wonder! They're actually quite popular over there and were rated number 2 live act under David Gray in some magazine poll. I loaned Dance the Devil to a friend and he came back raving saying it was an amazing CD. It only took him one listen.
try: Seven Day Mile, God Bless Mom, Pavement Tune

thats all for now
end.

Last edited:
Saint Etienne
Skylab
Tricky
Goldie
Tori Amos
George Clinton/ Funkadelic/ Parliament
Bowie?s new album

and I am just relaxing with Lou Reed?s "Berlin"...

Air
Ministry of Sound - Annual 2002, Chillout Sessions
One Giant Leap Compilation
Zero 7
Powderfinger

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (Plastic Fang, Now I Got Worry, Orange)
Miles Davis (Bitches Brew, Kind of Blue)
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy / Palace Music / No one What Will Take Care of You)
John Colrane (A Love Supreme)
The Beach Boys (Pet Sounds, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Holland)
Tindersticks (Can our Love ..., Curtains)
Gram Parsons (GP / Grievous Angel)
AC/DC (Let There Be Rock, Powerage)
Aphex Twin (Classics, Richard D. James Album)
The Pogues (If I Should Fall From Grace With God; Rum, Sodomy and the Lash)
Lambchop (How I Quit Smoking, Is a Woman)

As mentioned before, the Hives [I'm seeing them next week in NYC]
The White Stripes
Starsailor
Ed Harcourt

Yay!! Recommendations!! :D

I'll second the Starsailor and Ed Harcourt (I love his cat! ;))recommendations. Also:

Neil Halstead
I Am Kloot
David Kitt
Tom McRae
Idlewild
The Vines
Augustino
Mull Historical Society
Damien Jurado
Super Furry Animals

I have many, maaaaaaaaaany more....

:eek: I forgot Melaton! And Lorien!

Last edited:
I have to add my agreement to recommendations, especially Neil Halstead, Starsailor, Ed Harcourt, Mull Historical Society... :yes:

I also like Michael Head & the Strands (Magical World of the Strands), Cooper Temple Clause, Alfie, Beta Band...so many I can't think of right now. Oh, also, if you haven't listened to Nick Drake, I highly recommend that. :)

yeah! Nick Drake was amazing, God rest his soul.
OInly for those who like very very mellow music. however!

Nick Drake was amazing
Definitely. :) You are right though, I guess you do need to be in the mood for mellow music. If you haven't heard much of Neil Halstead, he is very similar. I know people compare many musicians to Nick Drake, but I think Neil Halstead (Sleeping on Roads) is one of the most accurate comparisons.

jkayet said:
Definitely. :) You are right though, I guess you do need to be in the mood for mellow music. If you haven't heard much of Neil Halstead, he is very similar. I know people compare many musicians to Nick Drake, but I think Neil Halstead (Sleeping on Roads) is one of the most accurate comparisons.

*coughobsessedcough* ;)

But Neil Halstead is VERY good. So are Mojave 3 and Slowdive.

Well, basically I just found a new band called "Mercury Rev". It'd an odd band, but beautiful music. Download a song called "The Dark is Rising", "Godess on a Highway" and give em a good few listens. You'll know if you like em or not. They are great on those late night when you've had some to drink or...whatever. :) Enjoy.

System Of A Down (S.O.A.D. and Toxicity)
Rammstein (Live Aus Berlin and Mutter)
The Gathering (Nighttime Birds)
Placebo (???)

:yes:

Broaden my horizons

Angel said:
Lamb
St. Germain

I agree. And if you want some more electronica/chillout/world stuff, try SiSe. They're my fave unknown band.

album.gif

http://www.luakabop.com/sise/info.html

There's a U2 connection, in that their record label, Luaka Bop (world music) is somewhat linked to Brian Eno. ;)

You can also try Putumayo's World Lounge, a mixture of global, psychedelic chillout, lounge music. Really cool.

Back
Top Bottom