Britney Spears latest adventure - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 AM   #331
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ylimeU2

Yeah, so that makes it okay for the paparazzi to aim their cameras at her vagina? That is far, far more disturbing then her not wearing panties, but you are entitled to think whatever you want, as am I.

I will never understand how you can make the statement that paparazzi are scum and then say its justified to snap a picture like that simply because she isn't wearing underwear.
I never said they're justified in taking the pics they take.

And I'll never understand how her not wearing panties knowing full well it'll be photographed is LESS disturbing, but hey

Old 09-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #332
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Is this what the fuss is over? Holy shit, people. Really. Anyone criticising this ought to be taking a good long hard look at themselves. This is fat?

Old 09-12-2007, 08:05 AM   #333
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:44 AM
she's not fat. she's out of shape for a profession in which she chooses to wear lingerie in public. as far as the average person goes, she's still in much better shape than most of us... although i'm sure her liver has taken quite a beating over the past year.

for a woman who just gave birth to two kids she looks amazing... if she had worn something less revealing, no one would even be discussing it. they'd just be discussing her dreadful, god awful performance and nothing more.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #334
Blue Crack Supplier

again, she looks great for a regular person. has anyone here ever met anyone who's on TV? they all have to be a solid 30lbs underweight because the flattening effect of the camera makes you appear a good 10lbs heavier than you actually are.

and the fact remains, she doesn't look like this anymore:

and guess what? if you're going to take your clothes off on TV, you have to look like that. man or woman. and this is what you get paid for and what you hire a team of trainers and chefs to keep you in shape.

(and i feel like i just repeated what Headache just said, but whatever)
Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #335
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
she's not fat. she's out of shape for a profession in which she chooses to wear lingerie in public. as far as the average person goes, she's still in much better shape than most of us... although i'm sure her liver has taken quite a beating over the past year.

for a woman who just gave birth to two kids she looks amazing... if she had worn something less revealing, no one would even be discussing it. they'd just be discussing her dreadful, god awful performance and nothing more.

Thank you!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #336
Blue Crack Addict

She shouldn't have to wear something less revealing in order for people not to discuss it. It's just silly for her weight to even be an issue when she looks like that, regardless of how she looked before and how much her career has been built upon her body. The weight of females in the entertainment industry in general is scrutinized way too much (by the public and the media), for anyone to deny that stretches all credibility. It has to stop at some point.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #337
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and guess what? if you're going to take your clothes off on TV, you have to look like that. man or woman. and this is what you get paid for and what you hire a team of trainers and chefs to keep you in shape.
This may be true but my point is that it's the public who demands this who is wrong and pathetic, not the person who doesn't comply. It's sick. What's wrong and twisted and totally fucked up is our perception of what is appropriate body weight for a pop star in a bathing suit, not the fact that Britney doesn't match that perception.

Her trainers and handlers were probably powerless in getting someone on drugs and/or alcohol to do what they wanted her to do and what they knew would be best for her.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #338
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:44 AM
My 2cents:

1. I'm disgusted by people calling her "fat". What does that say about our society? A lot of people would kill to look like that.

2. Weight aside, the performance sucked. The song sucked. Where was the passion, the energy that she would have had 3+ years ago?

She needs help.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #339
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
[B]

This may be true but my point is that it's the public who demands this who is wrong and pathetic, not the person who doesn't comply. It's sick. What's wrong and twisted and totally fucked up is our perception of what is appropriate body weight for a pop star in a bathing suit, not the fact that Britney doesn't match that perception.

i don't disagree at all. i'm just sayin' what is. not sayin' it's a good thing.

[q]Her trainers and handlers were probably powerless in getting someone on drugs and/or alcohol to do what they wanted her to do and what they knew would be best for her. [/q]

and this is where Kanye West is probably right -- she was pushed before she was ready.

i see Brit as a victim in all this. i do. i just think some of her people need to be fired for allowing this to happen. it's their job to manage her career and avoid massive embarassments like this.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #340
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
My 2cents:

1. I'm disgusted by people calling her "fat". What does that say about our society? A lot of people would kill to look like that.

2. Weight aside, the performance sucked. The song sucked. Where was the passion, the energy that she would have had 3+ years ago?

She needs help.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #341
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
She shouldn't have to wear something less revealing in order for people not to discuss it. It's just silly for her weight to even be an issue when she looks like that, regardless of how she looked before and how much her career has been built upon her body. The weight of females in the entertainment industry in general is scrutinized way too much (by the public and the media), for anyone to deny that stretches all credibility. It has to stop at some point.

but the bottom line is not what "should" be, but what is, and anyone who's job it is to manage pop stars should know better than to have put her out on the stage like that and wearing that.

generally, though, i'd argue that when it comes to the weight of females, what gets talked about most are stars that are too thin. if anything, there seems to be a movement towards a healthier body image. everyone frets about Angelia, or Renee Zelwegger, or Nicole Kidman, and i think that's generally positive. and, yes, something like this happens, but then the overall effect is an unhealthy focus on the body. am i too fat? too thin? too skinny? to muscle-y?

and i would also add that men are scrutinized as well. how many pictures do we get of Matthew McConaghey? not that most people knew this, but Ian Thorpe was slammed in the Australian media for gaining weight. we all talk about Bono porking up, and i remember a photo of Adam in a bathing suit and the magzine commented how he doesn't look like he did in the "streets" video in 1987.

ultimately, when you are a celebrity being photographed, you are going to come under scrutiny. and how you are treated seems to be in direct proportion to how you use this celebrity. no one is going to care if Jennifer Hudson gains or loses weight because Jennifer Hudson is famous for being able to sing like a hurricane. again, Britney was as famous for her body as for her voice. so it's as if Jennifer Hudson was singing and was completely off-key the whole time.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #342
Blue Crack Addict

But I do think in terms what should be, for me it's just part of being female and what that involves when I think about body image issues. Jennifer Hudson's weight is always mentioned, Simon Cowell wasn't the first and only one to do it. In spite of how she sings, it is an issue. I'd be willing to bet she has been asked more than once to lose weight, no matter how well she sings.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #343
Blue Crack Distributor

in all reality, arnold looks a hell of a lot better than most men his age. but when these pictures came out, he was the butt of bloggers jokes, late night jokes, etc. etc.

when you look like what he used to, and then he looks like that now, it's going to be brought up because it's noticable.

if brad pitt shows up in a picture tomorrow with a beer gut, i gaurantee you there will be a thread about it.

it might not be right, but it is what it is.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #344
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

but the bottom line is not what "should" be, but what is, and anyone who's job it is to manage pop stars should know better than to have put her out on the stage like that and wearing that.

But "what is" needs to change and I wish that were the discussion (not just here, but in the media). Continuing to say "that's just how it is" and "she should have known better" just reinforces the problem as though "what is" is some immutable law.

I read somewhere (who knows if it's true) that Britney pulled that bathing suit out of her bag and insisted on wearing it instead of the corset that was chosen for her. I don't see how the handlers can be blamed. She's a fucked up prima donna and probably did what she wanted.

I think it's great that people are beginning to focus more on celebrities being underweight but I don't think that's the main discussion out there out there at all. Maybe the perception is beginning to shift, and that's good, but it's got a long way to go.

If Britney's performance had been drop dead fantastic, I'd like to think that people would have said "Good for her for showing you can still be in top form and dance your butt off with a little more body weight" instead of "she danced great but her waistline's a bit thick." Or better yet, that her weight or body wasn't even mentioned at all.

A friend used to date a dancer in the American Ballet Co. and she became anorexic as a direct result of always being viewed as "the fat one." She was a lovely, petit, graceful, beautiful dancer whose legs tended to bulk up more than others'. She could do everything that everyone else did and sometimes even better, but her legs were perceived as being bigger than everyone else's. It was unbelievable how damaged she became.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #345
Blue Crack Addict

Britney just needed to deliver her performance with this kind of intensity and there'd have been no issue: