Britney Spears latest adventure - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #301
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:51 PM
yes, Bono is bigger than, say, Robert Plant, but Bono doesn't take his shirt off during performances (anymore ) and writhe around on stage with female dancers.

i agree with the overall sentiment -- too much emphasis is placed on weight, etc. but i'd also argue that it's way, way better than it was 10 years ago and there are many women who are considered "hot" and curvey. though i'd also add that most of the women who spring to mind -- Beyonce, J-Lo, Jennifer Hudson -- are all women of color. white girls gotta be skinny, it seems.

but whether this is good or bad, right or wrong, fair or not, absoultely everyone on Team Britney knows this and has to deal with it. don't put her in something that isn't flattering.

now, if she had gone out and kicked some ass, would we still be hearing "fat"? not as much, i don't think. we'd hear that she doesn't look like she did, but in a performance where there was so much to criticize, one that fell flat on virtually every level, this was one thing.

i do worry, however, about those awful headlines. and i'd worry about the poor girl getting an eating disorder. it might seem hypocritical of me, since i'm harping on her choice of dress, but i don't actually think she's fat. and i'm not writing headlines about this.

i'm just saying that everyone should know better. and there was a whole lot that was worse about her performance than a few jiggles.

i genuinely feel bad for her.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #302
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ylimeU2

I think the more important question in regards to that is what is wrong with the photographers?

Yes, she could wear panties, but there are plenty of people out there who don't. In my mind, stuff like that is the fault of the people who are taking the pics, not the person being photgraphed.
woah, I agree the paparazzi are pretty much scum, but she KNOWS they'll be there and yet she wears a short skirt, forgets her panties, and gets up legs spread Personal responsibility is what it's all about.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #303
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by kafrun
Personal responsibility is what it's all about.
Agree 100% but does anybody believe that they are accountable for their actions these days? It seems like people are always blaming someone else - hence the countless stupid lawsuits and warning labels on everything.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #304
Refugee

Local Time: 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Don't take it out on Britney take it out on him.

http://break.com/index/deal-with-me.html

wtf!!! lmao
Old 09-11-2007, 05:11 PM   #305
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Quote:

Best post Justin has ever made on interference.
I love how serious people can get about celebrities. It's fascinating.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:28 PM   #306
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:51 PM
wow that video is scary. just another example of how people are completely insane.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #307
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I honestly did not think she looked "squeezed" into anything. I get that she's not in the same shape she used to be in, but I didn't think she looked like she was wearing something way too small at all.
I thought she looked like what I'd look like if I wore hot pants - they made her look bigger than she actually is. (Which is why I don't wear hot pants. Well, that and the cellulite. And the fact that they're, you know, hot pants. )

Anything that tight on a normal person with a reasonable amount of body fat is going to look kind of unflattering, I think.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #308
Blue Crack Distributor

and now Kanye weighs in:

Kanye: MTV exploited Britney for ratings 2 hours, 58 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Kanye West blames MTV for Britney Spears' less than stellar performance at the Video Music Awards.

"Man, they were just trying to get ratings, and they knew she wasn't ready and they exploited her," the 29-year-old rapper said Tuesday on Sirius Satellite Radio's "The Morning Mash Up."

The network made a "bad move" by having the troubled pop star open Sunday's event in Las Vegas, said West, who feels he should have kicked off the show with "Stronger," the first single from his new album, "Graduation."

"They exploited her, they played me and I really don't mess with MTV," he said.

Spears, 25, looked unprepared while performing her new song, "Gimme More," to a bewildered audience of her music industry peers. She seemed nervous and, at times, stopped singing altogether.

West said he wanted to perform "Stronger" on the show's main stage — where R&B hotshot Chris Brown wowed the crowd with Michael Jackson-esque dance moves — but complied when he was asked to host a suite party.

West said it was a blow to the ego when Justin Timberlake, who also hosted a suite party, ended up "on the big stage" to give the closing performance with Timbaland and Nelly Furtado.

"Those are the big things, and you know what I do man, I really made the song `Stronger,' you know, for stadiums," he said.

MTV spokesman David French didn't immediately return a phone call from The Associated Press seeking comment.

West — who threw a tantrum backstage after losing all five categories for which he was nominated — said he has bonded with 50 Cent over what they view as disrespectful behavior from MTV.

"So why do you have me do `Stronger' in a suite, but you end the show with Justin?" he said. "I looked at 50 like, yo, we need to help each other as much as possible."

50 Cent has said he'd stop making solo records if West's new album outsells his "Curtis" CD in their first week out. Both albums were released Tuesday.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #309
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Quote:

Jeez....this video scares me!
Old 09-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #310
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:51 AM
Quote:

....good...
Old 09-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #311
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:51 AM
It's funny to watch the same tabloid switch between "SHOCKINGLY Thin Stars!!!! Is Angie wasting away??? Brad reveals his fears about her anorexia!!!" and "BEACHED WHALES!! Cellulite! Rolls!! What was Keira thinking in this bikini??" from week to week.

I think it's strange how many people applauded Kirstie Alley for wearing a bikini on Oprah after she lost weight or talk about how much they like "curvy" women, yet Britney "should know better" than to wear a bikini and that's "how the business works." I don't understand the attitude of "It's really horrible that some people in our society are so looks-obsessed and hold women to ridiculous and arbitrary standards....but, really, she should have known that just how it is and worn something more concealing or lost ten pounds." I certainly don't think Britney is a feminist icon, but I'd rather see a performer wear something she wants than to know that her team dressed her to conceal industry-determined flaws or conform to a certain expectation.

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way to hear comments about what a woman (or man, for that matter) should wear, regardless of body size.

I don't know why I'm coming to her defense when I've never been a fan, I thought her VMA performance was boring [though it was MTV, and I've seen worse...], and I hated the song.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:26 PM   #312
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:51 PM
If she's proud of her body and wants to flaunt it, fine. Yay for her. But I don't see anything wrong with saying, "You know what? That's unflattering to your figure."

But I don't like seeing all the "OMG FATTY" comments, that's just ugly. And I agree with your comments about the weird double-standard in all of this.

I think Tyra Banks also sometimes wears unflattering clothes that make her look bigger than she is. Is she fat? No. Does she wear unflattering outfits sometimes? Yes. That's not a comment on her weight, it's a comment on her fashion choices.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #313
Blue Crack Distributor

Who says less (clothes) is more. She could have worn more clothing and still looked hot, had she chosen to do so. Wasn't she in jeans and a short white top at rehearsal? And/or she could have worn something tight to make her look "fit & toned" if she wanted to "hide" anything. Whatever...
Old 09-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #314
Refugee

^^ Exactly. It's pretty obvious that Britney thinks that her body is hot! Otherwise she wouldn't have insisted on wearing that outfit for the whole world to see. I highly doubt that all the press coverage calling her "fat" is going to affect her. It didn't change her when they said that K-Fed was an idiot, that she was an unfit mother, that she was crazy, that she needed to wear underwear, that she needed to go to rehab, etc. Britney has her own image of herself and it's clearly not what the rest of the world sees. So, i don't really think all of this is going to matter much to her. She's gonna keep on being Britney.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #315
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
and now Kanye weighs in:

West said he wanted to perform "Stronger" on the show's main stage — where R&B hotshot Chris Brown wowed the crowd with Michael Jackson-esque dance moves — but complied when he was asked to host a suite party.

West said it was a blow to the ego when Justin Timberlake, who also hosted a suite party, ended up "on the big stage" to give the closing performance with Timbaland and Nelly Furtado.

West — who threw a tantrum backstage after losing all five categories for which he was nominated — said he has bonded with 50 Cent over what they view as disrespectful behavior from MTV.

"So why do you have me do `Stronger' in a suite, but you end the show with Justin?" he said. "I looked at 50 like, yo, we need to help each other as much as possible."

Why didn't he just put in his usual terms..."MTV don't like black people".

Maybe Kanye should realize that Timberlake is a bigger star and draw currently than he is and stop his whining.

More importantly...why am I posting about the likes of Kanye West and Justin Timberlake?