Britney Spears latest adventure - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #241
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
This is probably one of my favorite VMA crazy moments other than R. Kelly performing Trapped in a Closet and going batshit insane.
That was awesome!

I think that was the last VMAs I actually bothered semi-watching.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #242
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

I agree. I like the song but think that opening line is stupid.

I like Britney, I was hoping this would be an awesome, "Wow, she's back!" performance.
Me too.

Another song has leaked to the internet and it's pretty good.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #243
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:12 AM
I just watched it, after taping the show last night. A few thoughts, which I'm sure have been echoed all over the intertubes...

She's not fat. She's not as lithe as she used to be, but a) who isn't (especially after 2 kids); and b) the outfit maybe wasn't the best choice. It didn't make her look not-fat, let's just put it that way.

That wasn't quite a trainwreck ... more of a half-assed Britney. I've never seen such half-assed dancing and half-assed lip-synching.

The song wasn't bad, though. I kind of dug it.

I wish she'd snap out of it and listen to the people who are trying to help her. (I'm assuming her family has been trying to help her, but maybe they've given up after being brushed off and served with lawsuits for too long.)
Old 09-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #244
Refugee

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

What can her mother really do, though? Britney didn't act like this as a teenager and at the beginning of her career when her parents still legally had control over her. She's a 25 year old mother of 2 herself. Britney can't blame anyone for her problems but Britney, and this is coming from someone who feels bad for her also. She needs help, but like anyone else she won't be able to get it until she admits she has problems and stops blaming other people for her own mistakes and poor choices.
EXACTLY.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #245
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Daddysgonnapay
...she looks pretty damn good for jsut having 2 babies in such a short period of time...she is still a baby herself if you think about it.....but maybe she should have chosen a different outfit so that the buzzards would not have swarmed her

i totally agree, which is why her managers should be fired. you do not ... DO NOT ... go on stage in front of millions in a bikini unless you can pull it off. this isn't hard to do. this wasn't a photo of her on the beach in Maui relaxing with her family. this was a long-planned comeback event where everything must be perfect. people get paid lots of money to make sure that everything is perfect. she looks amazing for having 2 kids. but she doesn't look like this:

this is Britney Spears we're talking about. she has no actual voice. she's a good dancer. she's pretty enough. she had an amazing body. and her entire career was based upon a weird sort of girl power solidarity with the preteens, as well as giving these girls' fathers masturbatory Lolita fantasies.

she needs to have a body to be what she was. and she's got a great body. for a normal person. but she's not a normal person. she's a pop star. and if she's not ready, then don't freaking go on stage!

and i say her mother should be jailed because she allowed the powers-that-be to turn Britney into jailbait for years and years and years.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #246
Blue Crack Addict

Is It Fair to Savage Britney's Figure?
By JOCELYN NOVECK, AP National Writer
1 hour ago

NEW YORK - The consensus is clear: Britney Spears performed like she was sloshing blindfolded through mud at MTV's Video Music Awards. No one disputes that the troubled pop princess royally mangled her much-heralded comeback.

But what about the nastiest comments of all _ those about her body? "Lard and Clear," read Monday's headline in the New York Post. "The bulging belly she was flaunting was SO not hot," wrote E! Online. And so on.

Was it fair? Did Spears, lest we forget a mother of two, deserve to be held up against the standard of her once fantastically toned abs, sculpted by sessions of 1,000 tummy crunches? Or was she asking for it by choosing that unforgiving black-sequined bikini?

More profoundly, in an age where skinny models and skeletal actresses are under scrutiny for the message they're sending young girls, what does it say that we're excoriating a young woman for a little thickness in her middle?

Certainly people were curious to see her. The show drew 7.1 million viewers Sunday, up 23 percent over last year's VMAs, and was the highest-rated cable program of the year among people aged 12 to 34, according to Nielsen Media Research.

On the morning after what the VH1 channel called Spears' "already historic" performance, the blogosphere was buzzing with opinions. For every "fat" comment there was an impassioned retort. "Give her a break," wrote one blogger on Aboutthink.com. "The girl's had two kids _ I hope I'm a size 10 after having kids!"

"OK, she isn't fat," wrote another. "But she isn't fit enough to be wearing (or not wearing) what she is."

For many observers, the issue was not so much the body, but the body in THAT outfit.

"In that ensemble, you just can't have an ounce of anything extra," said Janice Min, editor of the celebrity magazine US Weekly. "Many women wouldn't eat for days if they were wearing that."

"Did she look better than 99 percent of women? Yes," added Min. "But compared to her earlier form, she probably didn't look as good."

Besides, said Min, "Britney Spears has always been about the whole package. It's never been 100 percent about the talent. Is it sexist? Probably, but she's built a career on an image of sexiness."

Talk of Spears' physique comes amid an increasingly critical focus on overly skinny actresses in Hollywood, who've largely replaced supermodels as the world's fashion plates. It's hard to pick up a celebrity magazine without a critical photo of, say, Angelina Jolie's birdlike arms. And curvy actresses are getting positive attention, from Oscar-winner Jennifer Hudson of "Dreamgirls" to Golden Globe-winner America Ferrara of TV's "Ugly Betty."

In the fashion industry, there's been an effort to promote healthier-looking models. "Girls aren't looking as skinny this season as they did," said Suze Yalof Scwhartz, executive editor-at-large for Glamour Magazine. "There's food backstage. They're looking sexier." At Glamour, she noted, a model won't be featured "if she shows too much clavicle."

The nastier headlines about Spears are uncalled for, Schwartz said, but at the same time, "when you walk around the stage in a black bikini in front of millions of viewers, people are going to notice." She added that though Spears doesn't have the perfect body she once did, "Most women would die for the body she has now."

An obvious question is whether a male performer would have been subjected to the same standards. Many would say no; Dave Zinczenko, editor of Men's Health magazine, says yes.

"Listen, any time you go on national television and dance in barely any clothing, you're going to be facing a lot of scrutiny," Zinczenko says. "Anybody would be asking for it." Not that many people weren't pulling for Spears, he notes: "If she had come back, she would have been the toast of the country."

And certainly she had a lot to come back from over the past few years: Well-documented parenting mishaps _ remember the baby on her lap in the driver's seat? A messy divorce from husband Kevin Federline. The famous crotch photos. The bizarre head-shaving incident. Rehab.

And now this.

"I kind of feel bad for her," said Shelley Wade, a DJ at New York City pop station Z100. "She looked really nervous. And then now, I'm looking at all these blogs this morning about how everybody thinks she's fat and I'm like, `What! Fat?' She wasn't fat."

How all this will impact Spears' career, and sales of her new album, has yet to be seen. "I just felt like that performance was make or break for her comeback," says Wade. "Now with last night's performance, she's just kind of put herself back in the same boat ... everybody thinks she's a train wreck."

But the single of "Gimme More," the song she destroyed onstage, is off to a great start in the Top 40, says Sean Ross of Edison Research, which tracks radio play. "A great VMA performance would have probably closed the deal for her, but she's still got until Thanksgiving to do other good performances and to release a strong album with other hits on it," he said.

In any case, it seems it would never be wise to write an obituary of Spears' career.

"With everything Britney, we think this is the last chance," says Min. "The fact is, it never is.

"At least this puts attention back on her as a performer. My sense is she'd rather be judged on that than on the rehab, the drinking and the partying."
Old 09-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #247
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MsMofoGone
So ... what will this 'disappointment' lead to ??

The possibility of further destroying her career ... or will she 'gain' more sympathy and concern from everyone ??
And ... here's my answer ??

Quote:

How all this will impact Spears' career, and sales of her new album, has yet to be seen. "I just felt like that performance was make or break for her comeback," says Wade. "Now with last night's performance, she's just kind of put herself back in the same boat ... everybody thinks she's a train wreck."
Old 09-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #248
Refugee

Well, it looks like she's still got at least one fan... This video is too funny not to share.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ultravioletluvv
Well, it looks like she's still got at least one fan... This video is too funny not to share.
Because she's 'not well' right now ??

Well, neither is this snivling little cry-baby. Listen to her 'slurred speech' ... she must be drunk.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #250
War Child

Local Time: 08:12 AM
I think she was seriously sedated.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #251
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ultravioletluvv

Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #252
Refugee

Hmm... I thought it was a guy in the video.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #253
ONE
love, blood, life

So...if anyone's interested in what Britney's voice really sounds like when it's not being synthesized by a million machines...

Old 09-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #254
The Fly

Dang that sucked. She looked kinda scared and nervous and didn't know what to do. Whatever is going on with her, I wish her the best.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #255
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
So...if anyone's interested in what Britney's voice really sounds like when it's not being synthesized by a million machines...