Britney Spears latest adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ylimeU2 said:

Yeah, so that makes it okay for the paparazzi to aim their cameras at her vagina? That is far, far more disturbing then her not wearing panties, but you are entitled to think whatever you want, as am I.

I will never understand how you can make the statement that paparazzi are scum and then say its justified to snap a picture like that simply because she isn't wearing underwear.
I never said they're justified in taking the pics they take.

And I'll never understand how her not wearing panties knowing full well it'll be photographed is LESS disturbing, but hey :shrug:

Is this what the fuss is over? Holy shit, people. Really. Anyone criticising this ought to be taking a good long hard look at themselves. This is fat?

brit_perform_narrowweb__300x460,0.jpg

she's not fat. she's out of shape for a profession in which she chooses to wear lingerie in public. as far as the average person goes, she's still in much better shape than most of us... although i'm sure her liver has taken quite a beating over the past year.

for a woman who just gave birth to two kids she looks amazing... if she had worn something less revealing, no one would even be discussing it. they'd just be discussing her dreadful, god awful performance and nothing more.

again, she looks great for a regular person. has anyone here ever met anyone who's on TV? they all have to be a solid 30lbs underweight because the flattening effect of the camera makes you appear a good 10lbs heavier than you actually are.

and the fact remains, she doesn't look like this anymore:

15_0901_britney_spears_c.jpg

and guess what? if you're going to take your clothes off on TV, you have to look like that. man or woman. and this is what you get paid for and what you hire a team of trainers and chefs to keep you in shape.

(and i feel like i just repeated what Headache just said, but whatever)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
she's not fat. she's out of shape for a profession in which she chooses to wear lingerie in public. as far as the average person goes, she's still in much better shape than most of us... although i'm sure her liver has taken quite a beating over the past year.

for a woman who just gave birth to two kids she looks amazing... if she had worn something less revealing, no one would even be discussing it. they'd just be discussing her dreadful, god awful performance and nothing more.

Thank you! :applaud:

She shouldn't have to wear something less revealing in order for people not to discuss it. It's just silly for her weight to even be an issue when she looks like that, regardless of how she looked before and how much her career has been built upon her body. The weight of females in the entertainment industry in general is scrutinized way too much (by the public and the media), for anyone to deny that stretches all credibility. It has to stop at some point.

Irvine511 said:

and guess what? if you're going to take your clothes off on TV, you have to look like that. man or woman. and this is what you get paid for and what you hire a team of trainers and chefs to keep you in shape.

This may be true but my point is that it's the public who demands this who is wrong and pathetic, not the person who doesn't comply. It's sick. What's wrong and twisted and totally fucked up is our perception of what is appropriate body weight for a pop star in a bathing suit, not the fact that Britney doesn't match that perception.

Her trainers and handlers were probably powerless in getting someone on drugs and/or alcohol to do what they wanted her to do and what they knew would be best for her.

My 2cents:

1. I'm disgusted by people calling her "fat". What does that say about our society? A lot of people would kill to look like that.

2. Weight aside, the performance sucked. The song sucked. Where was the passion, the energy that she would have had 3+ years ago?

She needs help.

joyfulgirl said:

This may be true but my point is that it's the public who demands this who is wrong and pathetic, not the person who doesn't comply. It's sick. What's wrong and twisted and totally fucked up is our perception of what is appropriate body weight for a pop star in a bathing suit, not the fact that Britney doesn't match that perception.

i don't disagree at all. i'm just sayin' what is. not sayin' it's a good thing.

[q]Her trainers and handlers were probably powerless in getting someone on drugs and/or alcohol to do what they wanted her to do and what they knew would be best for her. [/q]

and this is where Kanye West is probably right -- she was pushed before she was ready.

i see Brit as a victim in all this. i do. i just think some of her people need to be fired for allowing this to happen. it's their job to manage her career and avoid massive embarassments like this.

MrsSpringsteen said:
She shouldn't have to wear something less revealing in order for people not to discuss it. It's just silly for her weight to even be an issue when she looks like that, regardless of how she looked before and how much her career has been built upon her body. The weight of females in the entertainment industry in general is scrutinized way too much (by the public and the media), for anyone to deny that stretches all credibility. It has to stop at some point.

but the bottom line is not what "should" be, but what is, and anyone who's job it is to manage pop stars should know better than to have put her out on the stage like that and wearing that.

generally, though, i'd argue that when it comes to the weight of females, what gets talked about most are stars that are too thin. if anything, there seems to be a movement towards a healthier body image. everyone frets about Angelia, or Renee Zelwegger, or Nicole Kidman, and i think that's generally positive. and, yes, something like this happens, but then the overall effect is an unhealthy focus on the body. am i too fat? too thin? too skinny? to muscle-y?

and i would also add that men are scrutinized as well. how many pictures do we get of Matthew McConaghey? not that most people knew this, but Ian Thorpe was slammed in the Australian media for gaining weight. we all talk about Bono porking up, and i remember a photo of Adam in a bathing suit and the magzine commented how he doesn't look like he did in the "streets" video in 1987.

ultimately, when you are a celebrity being photographed, you are going to come under scrutiny. and how you are treated seems to be in direct proportion to how you use this celebrity. no one is going to care if Jennifer Hudson gains or loses weight because Jennifer Hudson is famous for being able to sing like a hurricane. again, Britney was as famous for her body as for her voice. so it's as if Jennifer Hudson was singing and was completely off-key the whole time.

But I do think in terms what should be, for me it's just part of being female and what that involves when I think about body image issues. Jennifer Hudson's weight is always mentioned, Simon Cowell wasn't the first and only one to do it. In spite of how she sings, it is an issue. I'd be willing to bet she has been asked more than once to lose weight, no matter how well she sings.

Arnold-756771.jpg

in all reality, arnold looks a hell of a lot better than most men his age. but when these pictures came out, he was the butt of bloggers jokes, late night jokes, etc. etc.

when you look like what he used to, and then he looks like that now, it's going to be brought up because it's noticable.

if brad pitt shows up in a picture tomorrow with a beer gut, i gaurantee you there will be a thread about it.

it might not be right, but it is what it is.

Irvine511 said:

but the bottom line is not what "should" be, but what is, and anyone who's job it is to manage pop stars should know better than to have put her out on the stage like that and wearing that.

But "what is" needs to change and I wish that were the discussion (not just here, but in the media). Continuing to say "that's just how it is" and "she should have known better" just reinforces the problem as though "what is" is some immutable law.

I read somewhere (who knows if it's true) that Britney pulled that bathing suit out of her bag and insisted on wearing it instead of the corset that was chosen for her. I don't see how the handlers can be blamed. She's a fucked up prima donna and probably did what she wanted.

I think it's great that people are beginning to focus more on celebrities being underweight but I don't think that's the main discussion out there out there at all. Maybe the perception is beginning to shift, and that's good, but it's got a long way to go.

If Britney's performance had been drop dead fantastic, I'd like to think that people would have said "Good for her for showing you can still be in top form and dance your butt off with a little more body weight" instead of "she danced great but her waistline's a bit thick." Or better yet, that her weight or body wasn't even mentioned at all.

A friend used to date a dancer in the American Ballet Co. and she became anorexic as a direct result of always being viewed as "the fat one." She was a lovely, petit, graceful, beautiful dancer whose legs tended to bulk up more than others'. She could do everything that everyone else did and sometimes even better, but her legs were perceived as being bigger than everyone else's. It was unbelievable how damaged she became.

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:

But "what is" needs to change and I wish that were the discussion (not just here, but in the media). Continuing to say "that's just how it is" and "she should have known better" just reinforces the problem as though "what is" is some immutable law.

it's not that it's an immutable law, it's just dealing with reality as it happens to be right now.

but it does seem as if the backlash is prompting a discussion about these impossible body standards women (and, yes, men) in entertainment are held to. so perhaps that's a good thing.

I have to say ... I thought the outfit was unflattering when I watched it, but now when I look at the still pictures, it's not as bad as I remembered.

For what it's worth. :wink:

(But still, hot pants would not have been my choice.)

joyfulgirl said:

A friend used to date a dancer in the American Ballet Co. and she became anorexic as a direct result of always being viewed as "the fat one." She was a lovely, petit, graceful, beautiful dancer whose legs tended to bulk up more than others'. She could do everything that everyone else did and sometimes even better, but her legs were perceived as being bigger than everyone else's. It was unbelievable how damaged she became.

Great point. The problem is that too many people still don't understand that damage, have no comprehension how deep and disturbing it is. This whole issue about Britney is one part of that puzzle, and that's why it matters. That kind of damage is not an abstract discussion, not for those who deal with it.

My 2 cents....at this point, I don't think by tabloid standards that Britney can do anything right. She can't walk right, dress, take care of her children etc. The tabloids aren't going to be happy until they drive her 6ft. under.

What I don't understand is the whole 'they exploited her....where are britney's helpers/managers/career people' etc

is she not 26/27? Is she not a mother of two. Do we think she is that dumb she didn't realise what would happen when she got up to do a 'come back' performance after yeeeeeeeears in front of a media that gets more and more savage by the moment - they live for this shit, and as much as people are disgusted with them (like me) i STILL read perez, i still flip through magazines - its a learned, continued behaviour, and its not going to change.

Frankly, i don't think britney is fat, and roll my eyes with people going for the jugular - but then well live in a vicious horrendous judgemental society, and some people will always say something negative, for numerous reasons

but that performance was shithouse, and maybe she planned it like that, to gain sympathy again, do the whole oprah couch thing, volunteer with some orphans, adopt one that angie has her eye on, and become BIG again...
who knows?

OK Britney has gained weight, she had two children and obviously didn't gain her old form back, but to say she's FAT is just too much, it's mean. Her performance WAS lame and she was embarrassing herself, plus I say she should have worn something else. I'm sure she could have worn a different outfit and looked great with it, but that bikini ... please. Britney was going for it with this outfit, she attracted the looks and the criticism. I don't know who is responsible for this mess, but it was certainly a desaster, and somehow I feel sorry for her.

Say what you will about the outcome, Britney Spears' VMA performance was one of the most-anticipated ones in years. But think how much bigger it would have been had it been billed as Spears taking the stage with former flame Justin Timberlake to perform together. Huge, right? Well, Timbaland — who claims to have nearly collaborated with the singer in the past — says Brit has quashed any chance of a JT collabo taking place anytime soon.

The super-producer told MTV News during VMA weekend that a prospective team-up between the two would be "the best thing that ever happened" and would "help her out a whole lot." But he then dismissed the possibility, saying in so many words that Brit has become big-headed and had dissed him and Justin. "It'll never happen. Nah. It could've, but it won't."

Timbaland previously said he got close to working with the singer, telling Entertainment Weekly in March, "I just want to take her away, go overseas and work [it] out. ... I asked Justin, 'How would you feel about me working with Britney?' ... 'Would you do it with me?' " Timbaland told the magazine that JT was willing to get involved at the time. "She's just gotta be serious."

Now Timbo has even more advice to give her about getting her career back on track. "She needs a story," he said. "She has no comeback story. That's the problem. She has to have a team. She needs to come back with Justin doing records; [then we'd see headlines like,] 'She went back to her ex and she's making smashes.' [But instead she got] so big-headed and [was] like, 'Screw you, screw you, I don't need nobody.' "

So is there any chance for Spears to rectify the situation and possibly work with Timberlake and Timbaland? Yes, says the super-producer — if she apologizes.

"She should humble herself and make a phone call and say, 'I'm sorry.' She knows what she's sorry about," Tim said. "She needs to say, 'I was wrong,' and it'll definitely move forward. ... That's all she has to say."

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
She's not fat, but having a less than perfect stomach everyone is going to pick at, she should have covered it up. A bodysuit would have been better.
Everyone is less than perfect. Even the celebs who look perfect - photoshop, anyone?

Since when do we let the media determine what we think is an acceptable shape? :shrug: Oh yeah, always. I'm just saying I think a lot of people are saying "She's not in bad shape, she's just not in good enough shape to be on tv" because that's what we hear over and over. Do they really believe that themselves? I wonder.. :hmm: That being said, I don't really care to see anyone in a bra and hot pants on my tv :wink:

I don't have a comment about the whole Justin thing, but I'm just so thankful that Criss Angel wasn't involved in the act like he was supposed to be. He's so skeevy. :yuck:

dazzlingamy said:
What I don't understand is the whole 'they exploited her....where are britney's helpers/managers/career people' etc

is she not 26/27? Is she not a mother of two. Do we think she is that dumb she didn't realise what would happen when she got up to do a 'come back' performance after yeeeeeeeears in front of a media that gets more and more savage by the moment - they live for this shit, and as much as people are disgusted with them (like me) i STILL read perez, i still flip through magazines - its a learned, continued behaviour, and its not going to change.

I wouldn't use the word dumb. Naive is more like it, and yes, I do think she is that naive. She was put into the spotlight at such a young age when she really couldn't comprehend what it all meant. If you had asked me when I was ten if I wanted to sing, dance, and be famous, I would have been all for it. Ask me today and I would tell you hell no.

My point is, when she was younger, it was probably all fun and games for her. The people (parents, managers, etc) who should have been looking out for her didn't do so and she has no idea how to control her life or her career. The clothes were probably a matter of this worked before, so it will work now.

I'm not using that as an excuse for any of her behaviour, she needs to learn how to take control, something most people are taught growing up. She may be an adult, but she is still young. She is either going to get it together or completely self destruct. People talk about others, laugh at others, point fingers at others. But at some point, enough is enough. It can seriously damage a person. It is sad that being a celebrity means you are discounted as a human.

America's ridiculous obsession (probably the whole world's obsession!) with skinny celebs is beyond me. There's nothing wrong with a little meat on the bones! There's nothing wrong with a slight belly. It's sexy! Other than the WTF strip club attire, Britney looked fine on stage at the VMAs.

Back
Top Bottom