Britney files for divorce (finally!) - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #421
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
But its well documented that Mike Tyson suffers from depression and other mental instabilities.
And he had one of the most brutal childhoods anyone could endure.
I didn't know that. If that's true, then I guess I do have some small amount for sympathy, but as a woman, I can't feel too sympathetic for a violent man.

Plus, there comes a time when someone has to start taking personal responsibility for their actions. I realize everyone who was abused is affected differently, but I would think in many cases, you have to finally ask that person, "How long can you go on blaming your behavior on what happened to you as a child?"

As for Britney, if she's suffering from something NOW (i.e., depression), I still have sympathy. If she's acting out because "Oh, I didn't have a childhood/I was abused as a child" whatever, she still needs help, but she needs to take personal responsibility.

If she's suffering from depression now, someone needs to help her. She's not likely to be able to help herself. Personal responsibility would hopefully come later.

I guess that sounds like I'm excusing her from all personal responsibility, but I don't mean to. I just think it's difficult to compare Britney Spears and Mike Tyson.

I don't even know if anything I said makes sense! Oh well. I know what I think and don't need to defend myself for feeling sympathy for Britney and none for Mike.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #422
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:26 AM
Um yeah, Tyson was a rapist (was in my opinion, whether he was ever found guilty or not). Britney hasn't done that, nor has she spewed racist or anti-semitic venom. She is hurting herself-and yes as a result she is hurting her kids and her family. But the situations aren't comparable. I have much less compassion for bigots and the like, if that makes me a horrible person well so be it. Alcoholism and drug addiction isn't an excuse for rape or racism, etc.-even though the current trend seems to be to use that as an excuse. I have compassion for anyone with an addiction, but when they start behaving in ways that deliberately hurt others and that promote hatred and racism and bigotry it's a different story. Britney is hardly on the same level as Tyson et al. She never said that Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world, or used the n word in public/made awful comments about African Americans as far as I know, or called a coworker a faggot, or raped anyone.

Mike Tyson turned his terrible childhood against others in a violent manner. Depression or not, he made the choice to do that. Many people have both and don't do that. When Britney starts doing that, well I'll rethink my position.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #423
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Can we stick to the discussion without name calling please.
I realize its a touchy topic for some apparently but lets not personally attack each other.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #424
Blue Crack Distributor

Mental illness manifests differently in different people, depending upon many factors. As well, hostility can be a key component in the manifestation of depression. When you have hostility in the mix, depending on history, temperament and environment, it's not that far of a stretch to violence toward others.

It's funny how acting out towards oneself is pitied and talked about as though the person does not have the strength to make behavioural choices, and yet different manifestations of the same disease in another, people feel the person can make a conscious choice to control their behaviour, or to choose other outlets.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #425
Blue Crack Addict

Yep people can make conscious choices not to rape others, for starters. I guess we should just let all convicted rapists out of prison then, since it's not their fault and it's just out of their control.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #426
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:26 AM
lets hope britney gets well soon, so the crotch shots thread can be revived
Old 02-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #427
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Yep people can make conscious choices not to rape others, for starters. I guess we should just let all convicted rapists out of prison then, since it's not their fault and it's just out of their control.
I didn't say that. I was merely stating the ramifications of mental illness, and the way different symptom sets are perceived by others, that's all.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:24 PM   #428
Refugee

Local Time: 04:26 AM
on Dlisted:

Before checking herself back into Promises in Malibu. Britney Spears made a visit to KFed’s house where she went off at a white SUV with a green umbrella. It’s to be believed that the car belonged to one of the paparazzi. Britney stayed outside KFed’s for 45 minutes waiting for him to either answer the door or come home.

they really need to leave her alone.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #429
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I guess we can all agree that Britney is clearly in a world of shit right now.

Every move she makes in public, the media are there to document. Which she should of course already know. It's too easy to dismiss Britney as a knucklehead. It looks as if nobody actually took her aside and told her to be more cognizant of her public persona. I think Britney's focus should be on getting herself better so that then she can be a better mother. It sure as hell shouldn't be about getting better so she can cut a new album and make more money.
Considering that since she was a teen on the Mickey Mouse Club, she's been groomed by her family for stardom. Certainly, her parents are partially to blame for where she is now because they encouraged and supported her desire to become a successful pop star.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #430
The Fly

Local Time: 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U
I guess we can all agree that Britney is clearly in a world of shit right now.

Every move she makes in public, the media are there to document. Which she should of course already know. It's too easy to dismiss Britney as a knucklehead. It looks as if nobody actually took her aside and told her to be more cognizant of her public persona. I think Britney's focus should be on getting herself better so that then she can be a better mother. It sure as hell shouldn't be about getting better so she can cut a new album and make more money.
Considering that since she was a teen on the Mickey Mouse Club, she's been groomed by her family for stardom. Certainly, her parents are partially to blame for where she is now because they encouraged and supported her desire to become a successful pop star.
Exactly, where are her handlers? Clearly, she's not capable of making any rational decisions so others should be making the decisions for her. Sounds like some great friends that don't care that she's self destructing. Her friends should be smacking some sense into her. Tough love is definitely what's needed.

Who's got her power of attorney to be making her decisions?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #431
The Fly

Local Time: 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Um yeah, Tyson was a rapist (was in my opinion, whether he was ever found guilty or not). Britney hasn't done that, nor has she spewed racist or anti-semitic venom. She is hurting herself-and yes as a result she is hurting her kids and her family. But the situations aren't comparable. I have much less compassion for bigots and the like, if that makes me a horrible person well so be it. Alcoholism and drug addiction isn't an excuse for rape or racism, etc.-even though the current trend seems to be to use that as an excuse. I have compassion for anyone with an addiction, but when they start behaving in ways that deliberately hurt others and that promote hatred and racism and bigotry it's a different story. Britney is hardly on the same level as Tyson et al. She never said that Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world, or used the n word in public/made awful comments about African Americans as far as I know, or called a coworker a faggot, or raped anyone.

Mike Tyson turned his terrible childhood against others in a violent manner. Depression or not, he made the choice to do that. Many people have both and don't do that. When Britney starts doing that, well I'll rethink my position.
So apparently double standards are ok. Interesting.

For me, compassion is forgiving everyone for their mistakes if they show remorse, but I guess you don't have universal compassion.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #432
Refugee

Local Time: 04:26 AM
I was kinda thinking the same thing. Doesn't she have people that wont say, let her shave her head?

I guess she can do what ever she wants but you think someone would have talked her out of it.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #433
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dwight Schrute

So apparently double standards are ok. Interesting.

For me, compassion is forgiving everyone for their mistakes if they show remorse, but I guess you don't have universal compassion.
It's hardly a double standard not to equate Britney to Tyson et al, if you think so well good for you and I guess you're just a superior human to me. Rapists can show all the remorse they want and I'm not going to forgive them for raping people, and it's really none of your business why.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #434
Blue Crack Distributor

Dwight Schrute, I think it's a long shot to try and compare someone who makes a series of dumb decisions that (so far) hurt no one but themselves, and someone who bites another man's ear off and is possibly a rapist (and I only say possibly because I don't recall what the result of the accusations were).

I have compassion for someone who appears to be in a world of hurt because of things potentially beyond her control, but do not have compassion for someone who acts violently against others.

I don't think that's a double-standard of compassion, it's comparing apples and oranges.

As for the power of attorney question, how does that work? Doesn't a court have to determine someone is incapable of making decisions for themselves before appointing a power of attorney? I mean, I don't have a power of attorney, so I wouldn't think Britney automatically has one.

As for her parents/managers/whoever, my guess is that they're TRYING to help her. But she's an adult, and they can't legally make her go into rehab.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #435
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:26 AM
she has obviously turned bat shit crazy.