Britney files for divorce (finally!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewson said:
But its well documented that Mike Tyson suffers from depression and other mental instabilities.
And he had one of the most brutal childhoods anyone could endure.

I didn't know that. If that's true, then I guess I do have some small amount for sympathy, but as a woman, I can't feel too sympathetic for a violent man.

Plus, there comes a time when someone has to start taking personal responsibility for their actions. I realize everyone who was abused is affected differently, but I would think in many cases, you have to finally ask that person, "How long can you go on blaming your behavior on what happened to you as a child?"

As for Britney, if she's suffering from something NOW (i.e., depression), I still have sympathy. If she's acting out because "Oh, I didn't have a childhood/I was abused as a child" whatever, she still needs help, but she needs to take personal responsibility.

If she's suffering from depression now, someone needs to help her. She's not likely to be able to help herself. Personal responsibility would hopefully come later.

I guess that sounds like I'm excusing her from all personal responsibility, but I don't mean to. I just think it's difficult to compare Britney Spears and Mike Tyson.

I don't even know if anything I said makes sense! Oh well. I know what I think and don't need to defend myself for feeling sympathy for Britney and none for Mike.

Um yeah, Tyson was a rapist (was in my opinion, whether he was ever found guilty or not). Britney hasn't done that, nor has she spewed racist or anti-semitic venom. She is hurting herself-and yes as a result she is hurting her kids and her family. But the situations aren't comparable. I have much less compassion for bigots and the like, if that makes me a horrible person well so be it. Alcoholism and drug addiction isn't an excuse for rape or racism, etc.-even though the current trend seems to be to use that as an excuse. I have compassion for anyone with an addiction, but when they start behaving in ways that deliberately hurt others and that promote hatred and racism and bigotry it's a different story. Britney is hardly on the same level as Tyson et al. She never said that Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world, or used the n word in public/made awful comments about African Americans as far as I know, or called a coworker a faggot, or raped anyone.

Mike Tyson turned his terrible childhood against others in a violent manner. Depression or not, he made the choice to do that. Many people have both and don't do that. When Britney starts doing that, well I'll rethink my position.

Can we stick to the discussion without name calling please.
I realize its a touchy topic for some apparently but lets not personally attack each other.

Mental illness manifests differently in different people, depending upon many factors. As well, hostility can be a key component in the manifestation of depression. When you have hostility in the mix, depending on history, temperament and environment, it's not that far of a stretch to violence toward others.

It's funny how acting out towards oneself is pitied and talked about as though the person does not have the strength to make behavioural choices, and yet different manifestations of the same disease in another, people feel the person can make a conscious choice to control their behaviour, or to choose other outlets.

:hmm:

Yep people can make conscious choices not to rape others, for starters. I guess we should just let all convicted rapists out of prison then, since it's not their fault and it's just out of their control.

lets hope britney gets well soon, so the crotch shots thread can be revived :up:

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
Yep people can make conscious choices not to rape others, for starters. I guess we should just let all convicted rapists out of prison then, since it's not their fault and it's just out of their control.

I didn't say that. :) I was merely stating the ramifications of mental illness, and the way different symptom sets are perceived by others, that's all.

on Dlisted:

Before checking herself back into Promises in Malibu. Britney Spears made a visit to KFed’s house where she went off at a white SUV with a green umbrella. It’s to be believed that the car belonged to one of the paparazzi. Britney stayed outside KFed’s for 45 minutes waiting for him to either answer the door or come home.

bumbrella.jpg

they really need to leave her alone.:(

I guess we can all agree that Britney is clearly in a world of shit right now.

Every move she makes in public, the media are there to document. Which she should of course already know. It's too easy to dismiss Britney as a knucklehead. It looks as if nobody actually took her aside and told her to be more cognizant of her public persona. I think Britney's focus should be on getting herself better so that then she can be a better mother. It sure as hell shouldn't be about getting better so she can cut a new album and make more money.
Considering that since she was a teen on the Mickey Mouse Club, she's been groomed by her family for stardom. Certainly, her parents are partially to blame for where she is now because they encouraged and supported her desire to become a successful pop star.

MrPryck2U said:
I guess we can all agree that Britney is clearly in a world of shit right now.

Every move she makes in public, the media are there to document. Which she should of course already know. It's too easy to dismiss Britney as a knucklehead. It looks as if nobody actually took her aside and told her to be more cognizant of her public persona. I think Britney's focus should be on getting herself better so that then she can be a better mother. It sure as hell shouldn't be about getting better so she can cut a new album and make more money.
Considering that since she was a teen on the Mickey Mouse Club, she's been groomed by her family for stardom. Certainly, her parents are partially to blame for where she is now because they encouraged and supported her desire to become a successful pop star.

Exactly, where are her handlers? Clearly, she's not capable of making any rational decisions so others should be making the decisions for her. Sounds like some great friends that don't care that she's self destructing. Her friends should be smacking some sense into her. Tough love is definitely what's needed.

Who's got her power of attorney to be making her decisions?

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
Um yeah, Tyson was a rapist (was in my opinion, whether he was ever found guilty or not). Britney hasn't done that, nor has she spewed racist or anti-semitic venom. She is hurting herself-and yes as a result she is hurting her kids and her family. But the situations aren't comparable. I have much less compassion for bigots and the like, if that makes me a horrible person well so be it. Alcoholism and drug addiction isn't an excuse for rape or racism, etc.-even though the current trend seems to be to use that as an excuse. I have compassion for anyone with an addiction, but when they start behaving in ways that deliberately hurt others and that promote hatred and racism and bigotry it's a different story. Britney is hardly on the same level as Tyson et al. She never said that Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world, or used the n word in public/made awful comments about African Americans as far as I know, or called a coworker a faggot, or raped anyone.

Mike Tyson turned his terrible childhood against others in a violent manner. Depression or not, he made the choice to do that. Many people have both and don't do that. When Britney starts doing that, well I'll rethink my position.

So apparently double standards are ok. Interesting.

For me, compassion is forgiving everyone for their mistakes if they show remorse, but I guess you don't have universal compassion.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Doesn't she have people that wont say, let her shave her head?

I guess she can do what ever she wants but you think someone would have talked her out of it.

Dwight Schrute said:

So apparently double standards are ok. Interesting.

For me, compassion is forgiving everyone for their mistakes if they show remorse, but I guess you don't have universal compassion.

It's hardly a double standard not to equate Britney to Tyson et al, if you think so well good for you and I guess you're just a superior human to me. Rapists can show all the remorse they want and I'm not going to forgive them for raping people, and it's really none of your business why.

Dwight Schrute, I think it's a long shot to try and compare someone who makes a series of dumb decisions that (so far) hurt no one but themselves, and someone who bites another man's ear off and is possibly a rapist (and I only say possibly because I don't recall what the result of the accusations were).

I have compassion for someone who appears to be in a world of hurt because of things potentially beyond her control, but do not have compassion for someone who acts violently against others.

I don't think that's a double-standard of compassion, it's comparing apples and oranges.

As for the power of attorney question, how does that work? Doesn't a court have to determine someone is incapable of making decisions for themselves before appointing a power of attorney? I mean, I don't have a power of attorney, so I wouldn't think Britney automatically has one.

As for her parents/managers/whoever, my guess is that they're TRYING to help her. But she's an adult, and they can't legally make her go into rehab.

corianderstem said:

I don't think that's a double-standard of compassion, it's comparing apples and oranges.

But what if the basis for the behaviour is the same root cause?

Keep in mind, I'm not questioning anyone's moral compass, or belief system...everyone's entitled to their own. Myself, I'm strictly looking at it from a mental health stance.

I also realize that this is not the appropriate place for such a discussion, so I should just shut the fuck up and go back to lurking. :reject: :wink:

Bono's Betty said:
on Dlisted:

bumbrella.jpg

they really need to leave her alone.:(

While I am sorry for her, in a way she's brought this episode on herself. She was very out in the open about it, she could have called, planned a secret meeting at a neutral location, or sent a representative. By showing up at his house herself, bald and acting up, she had to know it would draw attention. And smashing the car? Even in a fit of rage she had to know they were taking pics and it was going to be all over the internet. I have been plenty mad at plenty people, but if I'd done what she did I'd have been thrown in jail or the nut house.

Of course it's still sad because it's all part of her destructive behavior, whatever is causing it, and she needs help now.

you dont go crazy on a car like that, unless you're mentally unstable. she needs antidepressants asap.

Dwight Schrute said:

Cruel? Hardly. This is a grown woman who should be held accountable for her actions. It's called personal responsibilty and since she lacks that, her handlers should step in and put her back in line. I'm sick of people feeling bad for people that self destruct. She made the decisions in life and she needs to live with the consequences.

Where is the sympathy for Mike Tyson? He's a complete mess and yet it's ok to make fun of him. Michael Richards goes on a tirade and we crucify him for what he said. That seems like judging someone to me. Same goes for Isaiah Washington. Apparently it's ok to jump of celebrities for saying something stupid, but not in this situation. Double standard much? Give me a freaking break.

She needs help!!! Why the hell is that so fucking hard to understand? Forget accountability for one freaking minute and ask yourselves if any person, famous or not, would behave like that if there was nothing wrong!

You're sick of feeling bad for people? Oh poor you. :hug: Show me where you defended any of those people you just listed and I will give you a break.

And for those who called AngelaH's post harsh...I disagree. The only people I don't have compassion for in this world is for the people who refuse to have compassion towards others. If you feel the need to go around and talk trash about someone you don't know and don't understand, you deserve it because it is the truth.

Sicy said:
Can we stick to the discussion without name calling please.
I realize its a touchy topic for some apparently but lets not personally attack each other.

Come on, people, please lay off each other.

ylimeU2 said:

She needs help!!! Why the hell is that so fucking hard to understand? Forget accountability for one freaking minute and ask yourselves if any person, famous or not, would behave like that if there was nothing wrong!

You're sick of feeling bad for people? Oh poor you. :hug: Show me where you defended any of those people you just listed and I will give you a break.

And for those who called AngelaH's post harsh...I disagree. The only people I don't have compassion for in this world is for the people who refuse to have compassion towards others. If you feel the need to go around and talk trash about someone you don't know and don't understand, you deserve it because it is the truth.

look.. the people here who are making such demeaning comments about britney are just as guilty as far as being harsh but she could of worded it with a little bit less of a attacking tone. It just shows she is no better than them in the way people are coming across here. Just my IMO...that's all. take it or leave it I guess. :shrug:

Dwight Schrute said:

Exactly, where are her handlers? Clearly, she's not capable of making any rational decisions so others should be making the decisions for her. Sounds like some great friends that don't care that she's self destructing. Her friends should be smacking some sense into her. Tough love is definitely what's needed.

Who's got her power of attorney to be making her decisions?

This is part of the problem, I think. How many true friends do you think this girl has? Her "friends" probably don't want to come near her for fear they will start getting bad publicity.

No one just has power of attorney. She would have to have given it to someone, or someone will need to go to court and prove that she is in no position to be making decisions for herself.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

look.. the people here who are making such demeaning comments about britney are just as guilty as far as being harsh but she could of worded it with a little bit less of a attacking tone. It just shows she is no better than them in the way people are coming across here. Just my IMO...that's all. take it or leave it I guess. :shrug:

I'm not perfect and I have my flaws, and maybe this is one of them. I still agree with everything AH said and I will repeat what I said.

I believe that those who don't have compassion for others, don't deserve it themselves.

I feel really sorry for Britney. I've gone through dangerously low times in my life where I've done things that weren't good for me, but at least I also didn't have the entire world watching and discussing my every move. I hope she finds help so she can be happy again.

I just heard on my local news that K-Fed has said he will drop his petition for custody if Britany stays in rehab and continues to get some help. :up: That may help her wake up.

Oh my God, somebody tie her up or something!

Britney makes Federline look like Mr Rogers and Michael Jackson look sane.

She brought it all upon herself. All the money in the world and couldn't just enjoy it and be grateful. I feel sorry for people who have nothing to eat and starve to death. I feel sorry for people who have been raped and tortured. For Britney? Please. She's a spoiled kid throwing a colossal hissy fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom