Brit- Pop ( The 90's Incarnation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZeroDude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Ok, big question here about that old term Britpop and that "movements" bands and why thet didn't crack America.

The Bands ( My favorites from that time, others could be mentioned):

Oasis
The Verve
Pulp
Blur
Suede
James
et al only really got cult sucess in the states, ok it's true that Radiohead did break America but they where very much seperate from the others after there first couple albums, just wondering, A why didn't Grunge take the UK by storm thread has it's answer here............

Brit Pop days were awesome and have left me with fond memories. I'm happy to have grown up with bands like Blur and Oasis on the radio.

Last edited:
Manic Street Preachers tried touring with Oasis for Everything Must Go or This Is My Truth (I don't remember which) but that tour got cancelled half-way and forever consigned the Manics to obscurity throughout the USA.

Also, a lot of bands apparently didn't like travelling the USA because they had to play small theatres whereas in the UK and Europe they were filling stadiums or playing huge festival audiences.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Manic Street Preachers tried touring with Oasis for Everything Must Go or This Is My Truth (I don't remember which) but that tour got cancelled half-way and forever consigned the Manics to obscurity throughout the USA.

Also, a lot of bands apparently didn't like travelling the USA because they had to play small theatres whereas in the UK and Europe they were filling stadiums or playing huge festival audiences.

Yup... if you wanna make it big in America... you gotta gove a little.

And Elastica! :drool:

My guess is that, apart from the reasons mentioned above, many of those bands were probably too British to make it in America. Although if asked I'd find it hard to define what exactly "too British" is, :)

Saracene said:

My guess is that, apart from the reasons mentioned above, many of those bands were probably too British to make it in America

That's what I think too. A lot of what Brit Pop was about wasn't relevant to US culture. The film Live Forever talks about this.

i'd definitely agree it's because a lot of the brit-pop bands shared a certain english identity which doesn't appeal to most americans. i mean, how many americans living in some middle class suburb are going to relate to lyrics about growing up on a council estate in northern england? it's more than that of course, you'd have to think about the history and development of english pop music which is a whole other topic in itself.

MrBrau1 said:
Go back further:

Happy Mondays
The Wonder Stuff
Stone Roses
Ned's Atomic Dustbin
The Farm
Ride
Inspiral Carpets

Yeah I didn't want to go that far back though, it just seems a same all these bands never got the recognition they deserve on the other side of the Atlantic btw time for a bit O' "Step On "then............ ( Starts dancing, puts on some baggy clothes):wink:

Holy crap the La's:bow: :bow:

Last edited:
Catherine Wheel
The Boo Radleys
Supergrass
Teenage Fanclub
Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine
Curve
Chapterhouse
Slowdive
Charlatans UK
Revolver