Bringing Down the House - Martin/Latifah movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Hi everyone :)

Did any of you see Bringing Down the House with Steve Martin and Queen Latifah? I just rented it this weekend and found it to be rather disturbing on a few accounts...

One was that in the beginning when Queen's character shows up to Steve Martin's house, he manhandles her like she isn't a human being or a lady. Many racial comments had preceeded this - and I just felt it was so patently offensive.

Next, was the stereotyping of Whitey and African-Americans... this facet made my heart ache. I didn't find any of this material funny in the least - I was too busy being horrified by the social commentary that it was addressing (yes, I am very aware of racism in everyday society, unfortunately) that I couldn't even begin to enjoy this movie.

Another was how Queen's character is treated in a country club, and the physical fight she gets into later at the club - this really bugged me because the white character was fighting her because she was very racist, and didn't think Queen belonged at the Whitey club - I thought this was sick. To fight based on racial bias in a comedy was disturbing to me. I wanted to puke.

Did anyone else see this movie and find it to be more offensive than necessary as a mass marketed movie?

I never saw it, but it did look like it used the stupid stereotypical jokes they always use in movies with 'WOW' both white and black people in it. :down:

The entertainment industry is more to blame than anyone for the continuation of racism and bigotry.

Back
Top Bottom