brilliant Movie you would recommend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mystery Date with Ethan Hawke & Teri Polo. Made in 1991. Cute movie, quotable lines. Sadly, few have seen it. I love it, but haven't seen it on DVD yet.

One Crazy Summer - It was made by the same guy who made Better Off Dead. This movie isn't as good, but the humor is very similar. Co-stars include Booger, Demi Moore and Bobcat Goldthwait. (The With Or Without You comedian) :laugh:

Practically anything by John Hughes (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, 16 Candles, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink) prior to 1992. (That's when he began making films for his kids (Home Alone, Dennis the Menace etc.)

A fewer of the lesser known films by him include:
Career Opportunities, Uncle Buck, Weird Science and Mr. Mom.

Oh and he co-wrote the classic Vacation! :up:

I enjoyed "Basquiat" very much. It's about the 80's artist, and stars Jeffrey Wright, who was brilliant as Belize in "Angels in America." David Bowie plays Andy Warhol in it.

"Ed Wood" is another biopic, this one about an extremely quirky 50's director. This movie stars Johnny Depp :drool: , and Sarah Jessica Parker in her pre-"Sex & The City" days plays a girlfriend who eventually bolts because she can't handle his weirdnesses anymore. It's in B/W, directed by Tim Burton, and very very good. I give it two :up: :up: !!

the woodsman

just finished seeing it about 30 minutes ago and it was quite a differentand interesting kind of story. there's a bit of unanswered questions towards the end that make it quite a strong film.

Clerks
Kevin Smith's first and best film.

Oldboy
Visceral, thrilling, stylish but extremely violent..

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy walk around Vienna and then Paris and talk and talk and talk...

Many many good offerings in here. I'll try not to name something already listed, or a big big film. Forgive me if I repeat something someone already mentioned.

I don't think I saw "Croupier" listed. Low budget British film, starring Clive Owen. I really really liked it.

"The Game", directed by David Fincher, starring Michael Douglas...Sean Penn is in it as well, in a small supporting role. Not the greatest film of all-time, but certainly interesting and visually riveting.

"Valdez is coming" Old, old film, great revenge tale.

"Sexy Beast" Watch Ghandi get very scary and intimidating.

"Excalibur" If you like Arthurian legend, this is pretty good stuff. It's pre-Braveheart/Gladiator, so the battle scenes might leave a little to be desired, but it's well done, and features small roles from a young Patrick Stewart, Gabriel Byrne and Liam Neeson.

"The Lion in Winter" Not the TNT version, but the 1968 film starring Kathryn Hepburn and Richard Harris. Also, a young Anthony Hopkins is in the film. If you like great dialogue tossed around by 2 masters, watch this film.

"Quick Change" Again, not the best comedy of all time, but funny nontheless, and even better if you're from NYC. One of the few films to feature a joust scene on bicycles.

"Ronin" Absurd plot, but, it has 2 great car chases, and DeNiro and Jean Reno running around Europe. Frankenheimer film.

Was "Swingers" listed by anyone? It should be.

"Barry Lyndon" If you are not a victim of late 20th/early 21st century television, and thus you have an attention span, check this Kubrick title out. Then watch Dr. Strangelove. Clockwork and 2001 go w/o saying, though, all of these films have their many detractors.

"All the Real Girls" Sappy at times, but, just visually mesmerizing. The sort of film that might stay with you for a bit afterwards, but, also the kind that could cause you to scoff at the romanticism of it all.

"Days of Heaven" Terrence Mallick film. Another director both revered and oft-criticized. Again, visually stunning, he loves nature and shoots it lovingly.

"Time Bandits" Terry Gilliam film, hilarious Cleese turn as a messed up Robbin Hood.

"Dark City" From the Director of The Crow, an interesting sci-fi film with William Hurt, Rufus Sewell, Kiefer Sutherland and the amazingly stunning, pre-anorexic Jennifer Connelly.

"Papillon" Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen try to escape a prison island.

"Marathon Man" Hoffman again, this time as a young marathon runner swept up into a crazy plot. Makes you never want to go to the dentist ever again. A great 70's film, could toss in Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, The French Connection, etc.

That's about it, tried to mention a few genres. Not everyone is going to like everything on that list, but, it's just a sample of some of my favorites, along with many of the aforementioned films.

I don't know if they're "brilliant" but I also liked

House Of Sand And Fog
Inventing The Abbotts
October Sky
Cider House Rules
The Virgin Suicides
The Ice Storm

and that one w/ the film of all the birds migrating, I can't remember the name of it

daygloeyes2 said:
Being John Malkovich. :up:

Charlie Kaufman...:bow:

Agreed, love this movie.

I like Jonze/Kauffman, but also really like John Cusack films. Gross Pointe Blank was entertaining, and I really like High Fidelity, amongst many others.

Requiem for A Dream
The last 15 minutes are brutal, but the acting is uniformly excellent. Ellen Burstyn especially. And the score is just perfect...

Back
Top Bottom