Brilliant, Alabama Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way y'all. I'm an agnostic, leaning toward Christianity but not really wanting to go there :lol:

I certainly believe in a higher power/deity, and my mind leans toward the God of Christianity/Judaism simply because I was raised in it and spent several years quite religious (I certainly know my bible, and can usually quote circles around bible-thumpers. It's quite fun to quote parts of it that make no sense at them!) but really, I try not to put a label/name/face on my beliefs, because if I think about it too much I just get confused.
I'm a believer because I've personally felt the presence of something bigger than us, and have felt loved by it, but mainly because I need to ("And though I can't say why, but I know I've got to believe...") because if I didn't, I'd feel hopeless and depressed. I cling to it in a vague way.

That said, I kind of don't want there to be an afterlife. One life is enough. When I get old and tired (hell, I'm already tired), I'm gonna want it to END. I just... I just can't imagine myself being happy in heaven... but maybe that's because Christians annoy the hell out of me.

We have a lot in common in this area, Chass. I don't agree with EVERYTHING!!!1 but I definitely understand where you're coming from. :up:

The walking and talking are symbolic of daily life...didn't mean that literally. :lol:

Again, I maintain that people's own viewpoint on life slants their spiritual beliefs in many ways. Honestly, the whole issue is so open-ended that everyone has evidence for what they believe in some capacity. Just not necessarily enough to win over someone else.
Well I did mean that I take everyday life literally....

btw screwtape, re: meds. i looked up what you're on and it deals with seratonin. i really think you have some dopamine imbalance problems so that might be why the meds aren't working. but there are meds you can try for dopamine issues.
Cymbalta deals with dopamine :up: That may be why it's the first medication that's ever worked for me. And that's after: Zoloft, Buspar, Prozac, Wellbutrin, and Celexa.

ax i had to wikipedia several of those words

put me in the category of i don't care (hence i had no idea what any of that meant) but i also do firmly believe there is no god, and i believe that organized religion can be dangerous (put me also with the interest in the political and social effects of religion), both as it manipulates followers and tries to restrict everyone to fit its vision.

I should emphasise that the primary motivator in my interest in eschatology is the alarming influence premillennial dispensationalism has in the Protestant world, and particularly the influence it seeks to have within US politics. While its arguments can be very easily be refuted from a secular context, and marginalised as inappropriate in a political context, I think it is also essential to combat it internally, from the religious context within which it lives, as those arguments are those most likely to be taken seriously by those who actually hold such views. For that reason, I take an effort to understand its Biblical and other origins, and to study whether these origins possess validity or not (I believe that such study demonstrates that they are, to put it mildly, spurious).

So even that comes back to socio-politics in the end.

BTW, I've been to counseling and suffered from depression/anxiety attacks from the age of 9 on to 13. Never been on medication though. Went through all that cold turkey. :crack:

So, are you not done writing yet? was that only a first few page? It ended so upruptly. I cna't wait to see it with illustration so I can get a better feel, but I really did turly like where itwas going....Truly I mean

I think I am going to rework it a bit and make it longer. I want to put more character into Beholder and smooth out the dialouge between The Voice and Nighthawk. I introduce two more main characters in the next issues. So you thought it was a good first draft?

If I had my choice I wouldn't be on any medicine. My main concern is if this isn't the right therapist than where do I turn?
You get a new therapist. There is nothing wrong with that. It might be hard but a professional must respect your decision to see someone else. Now as for the question of finding a good therapist, I don't know what to say. Maybe DOL can advise you.

My experience was that a trusted professor recommended a specific person at our college's psych services to me. I tried to get an appointment with him and they gave me someone else who I didn't like and who I really felt I was smarter than. (I think your therapist needs to be as smart as you or more!) I had just one appointment. Then this fall I saw the originally recommended guy and it was a lot better. I was kind of borderline in terms of I didn't really need therapy as regularly as we had it, but I kind of wish I'd continued this spring, at least on an every other week or once a month basis.

I should emphasise that the primary motivator in my interest in eschatology is the alarming influence premillennial dispensationalism has in the Protestant world, and particularly the influence it seeks to have within US politics. While its arguments can be very easily be refuted from a secular context, and marginalised as inappropriate in a political context, I think it is also essential to combat it internally, from the religious context within which it lives, as those arguments are those most likely to be taken seriously by those who actually hold such views. For that reason, I take an effort to understand its Biblical and other origins, and to study whether these origins possess validity or not (I believe that such study demonstrates that they are, to put it mildly, spurious).

So even that comes back to socio-politics in the end.

:up: interesting

I know I should read the Bible so I can have it as grounds to refute people but I really can't be bothered. I know there's other smart people who agree with me who have read the bible, so I let them do the talking.

If I had my choice I wouldn't be on any medicine. My main concern is if this isn't the right therapist than where do I turn?
Are you seeing a therapist in a private office? If so, rather than turning to the phone book and simply picking another name out, perhaps you should see if your city has a behavioural health center type of place, which would be a large office with several different therapists and psychiatrists operating under one roof, with different specialties. That's where I go, and usually you go for an assessment appointment first (which is held with a nurse) and you can then talk to the nurse about the different therapists and ask for a recommendation of one who would be best for you. And if that one doesn't work, you can switch to a different one in the same office.

Cymbalta deals with dopamine :up: That may be why it's the first medication that's ever worked for me. And that's after: Zoloft, Buspar, Prozac, Wellbutrin, and Celexa.

My sister's been on zoloft and wellbutrin i want to say...she's been on a lot, she's got ocd and anxiety and several other problems, combined with some phsyical stuff (migraines, gi stuff, asthma)....

Are you seeing a therapist in a private office? If so, rather than turning to the phone book and simply picking another name out, perhaps you should see if your city has a behavioural health center type of place, which would be a large office with several different therapists and psychiatrists operating under one roof, with different specialties. That's where I go, and usually you go for an assessment appointment first (which is held with a nurse) and you can then talk to the nurse about the different therapists and ask for a recommendation of one who would be best for you. And if that one doesn't work, you can switch to a different one in the same office.

That sounds ideal. I guess in theory that's how my college counseling is supposed to work (the switching part and office working together, no initial assessment) but I coudln't get an appointment with the guy I'd been recommended to because he was so busy. Because he's good!

:up: interesting

I know I should read the Bible so I can have it as grounds to refute people but I really can't be bothered. I know there's other smart people who agree with me who have read the bible, so I let them do the talking.

:laugh: Well, I've read the New Testament about nine times and the entire Bible twice. I still genuinely enjoy Ecclesiastes. It has always been my favourite book of the Bible, ever since I first read it.

You get a new therapist. There is nothing wrong with that. It might be hard but a professional must respect your decision to see someone else. Now as for the question of finding a good therapist, I don't know what to say. Maybe DOL can advise you.

My current therapist is good for social anxiety but not much else. She thinks everything stems from anger issues and I honestly think she would ignore anything new I'd have to say. I just don't know if I could afford two therapists.

:laugh: Well, I've read the New Testament about nine times and the entire Bible twice. I still genuinely enjoy Ecclesiastes. It has always been my favourite book of the Bible, ever since I first read it.
Know what's a fun part of the bible?

Proverbs 5:18-19 --

18 Let your wife be a fountain of blessing for you.
Rejoice in the wife of your youth.
19 She is a loving deer, a graceful doe.
Let her breasts satisfy you always.
May you always be captivated by her love.

Song Of Solomon.

Bow-chicka-bow-wow.

that is totally freudian!

wife of your youth = mother
breasts satisfy you always = nursing

:yuck:

hmmm drugs and mental illness , good subject.

i have what is called a borderline (psychotic) mood disorder. at first i thought i had depression, then bi polar , but im classified as borderline psychotic. im not like it very often but i do know when i am becomming unewell. it makes me not sleep, DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK and use drugs , and spend alot of money , i can become very very aggressive, see nd hear things or have huge bouts of depresssion and need to sleep alot. i also have anxiety attacks and my u2 obsession is part of it all. i also used to self injure. it also gives me a perfectionist drive.
its very important that i regulate my chemicals.

zoloft- nothing better than a fucking placebo. and only works for seratonin.

Olanzapine- great anti psychotic took away my mania but made me want to sleep 23 hrs a day and kiled any creativity i had.

valpro (epilium 1000 mg per day) is what works for me at the moment. JUST. but if i miss a dose im fucked. it seems not to have any side effects, keep me stable.

i have had issues since i was a kid, started seeking answers when i was about 18, im almost 28 now- it has taken me this long to get a reasonable diagnosis and some sanity. and it isnt permanent. you need ot keep persaviring with many many drs and councellors.

Thank fuck for u2 or i would be dead.
YouTube - U2 - Mysterious Ways + Sexual Healing [Live]

best drug eva.

Ecclesiastes 3:19-22 for the win. See, I don't disagree with EVERYTHING Biblical! But then you get the feeling a lot of today's religious people don't read or just flat-out ignore this:

For that which befalls the sons of men befalls beasts; even [in the end] one thing befalls them both. As the one dies, so dies the other. Yes, they all have one breath and spirit, so that a man has no preeminence over a beast; for all is vanity (emptiness, falsity, and futility)! All go to one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again. Who knows the spirit of man, whether it goes upward, and the spirit of the beast, whether it goes downward to the earth? So I saw that there is nothing better than that a man should rejoice in his own works, for that is his portion. For who shall bring him back to see what will happen after he is gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom