Brilliant, Alabama Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's after death.

Sorry to press this, but again, because you say like me you're an atheist, and I don't think atheists think there is anything after death.... so what did you see? I am really curious.

And did you have a near-death experience or something? How did this happen.

Sorry if I'm pushing you, obviously you don't have to answer anything, but I am trying to understand where you are coming from.

Sorry to press this, but again, because you say like me you're an atheist, and I don't think atheists think there is anything after death.... so what did you see? I am really curious.

Sorry if I'm pushing you, obviously you don't have to answer anything, but I am trying to understand where you are coming from.

That's okay. I almost drowned in a pool. I could feel death wrapping itself around me but I wasn't alone. You can imagine how lonely death feels like. That's actually one of the reasons why I want people to know they are loved like the librarian because no one should feel that lonely. Well, then I was ripped away from death. A few hours later when I went near the pool I looked up at the sky and there it was. There wasn't God there was us.

Yeah, I'll join the baffled atheists club here. There's nothing after death. It's very simple really. You die and that's that. I've enjoyed life a lot more ever since I came to that realisation.

Screwtape do you think you have something related to PTSD? I have had PTSD and it really helps to see a psychiatrist and open up to them and let them help you.

I am incredibly intrigued by this conversation. But I must say, I don't remember a damn thing from when I was three, save a minute here or there that really wasn't of much significance.

yeah, ptsd sucks. i had it as well a few years ago. i still have it a little, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. i never sought therapy for it but i did open up to friends and family and tell them how i was feeling. i couldn't have gone on living the way i was living, with all that stress and such.

Screwtape, I have absolutely no psychological training, but from some things you've said, it sounds like you have some sort of mood depression that prevents you from enjoying life/relating to people, maybe related to this great thing after death that you refer to. Do you get pleasure from everyday things like good food or social interaction? You seem to certainly get pleasure from music. Anyway, I think it's really treatable if you see a psychiatrist, both through therapy and medication.

That is your belief and I respect that. I think you underestimate the universe. Things like love and dreams last forever.

As you all well know by now, I believe there is an afterlife but, like Vazza, I'm skeptical of it existing without some sort of supernatural being there to govern it. I also believe that an afterlife would serve a greater purpose; not just to float around for the hell of it.

Like I said I don't think a psychiatrist would help. I have to live with these things. I accepted that a long time ago.
no you don't. no one deserves such a burden and stress to have all their lives. i can understand not wanting to talk to a professional, but i suggest you at least speak with your family about your feelings. many times. or if not them, just someone you know you can trust.

Like I said I don't think a psychiatrist would help. I have to live with these things. I accepted that a long time ago.

But this isn't true! I know it's really hard to admit you need help, it took me two years to actually see someone (well I saw a different guy once and it was awful, partly i think the psychiatrist was no good and partly i just didn't want to have to need it). But if you give it a try I think things can be better and you can be happy and fulfilled in this life and not feel so isolated. I think honestly you've got a dopamine problem which can be treated with medication as well as with counseling. How can it hurt to try it out?

But psychiatrists are trained to make that decision, you are not. I don't think you should rule it out.

This is true, but let's face it, if he can't relate his feelings to them in a way that they can analyze, it rather defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Dreams are fleeting. Love is an all-too-subjective emotion.

I have to disagree here. After being faced with the difficult truth of life's fragility, I feel like people and situations are fleeting. Everything is temporary. But I think love is a renewable energy source, so to speak. People die, but I think their love for us will last forever. We'll take with us memories, images, etc. and feel that love again (eventually.)

Dreams are the only thing that can remain constant for me. When my world came crashing around me, and I didn't have dreams, or a goal or sense of purpose, I just felt like I was falling in a neverending well. But my dream is really all I can cling to right now, and lately it is what gets me through the day.

I think they are trained to deal with people who have trouble relating their feelings

Yeah, I'd say most people who go to psychiatrists are probably people incapable or unwilling to express and relate their feelings, and the psychiatrist's job is to use techniques to overcome this.

no you don't. no one deserves such a burden and stress to have all their lives. i can understand not wanting to talk to a professional, but i suggest you at least speak with your family about your feelings. many times. or if not them, just someone you know you can trust.

No Khan. Some things you have to deal with. I don't want them to tell me none of it is real when they don't know. It would be a useles waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom