Brilliant, Alabama Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help that my views and insights into the world are always different than everyone else. All I want is for people to consider and think about what I have to say not look at me as some kind of madman. I can't help that I know things. If it were up to me I wouldn't know anything at all. I just want to be normal but I'm not. I just want people to see what I see. Every time though they immediately say I am wrong or call me names. I don't want to be special. I'd like to hide away from the world if I could. Sometimes you are and you can't change that. I want people to understand but they never will. :(

but see, there's no need to hide away man! i'm very much curious to hearing different opinions than my own. but i feel like you jump to the "you're wrong, i'm write thing", and i just think, as an observation, that it's actually ironic that you want people to see what you see...but you don't want to see what they see. you see?

Music's been huge for me as well. Radiohead's given me the title and main theme for it already.

It's a comedy/drama called Weird Fishes, tying into the theme of "big fish in the small pond," and it's about high school seniors reflecting on their past/present/future before they part ways to go to college. That's really all I've got so far... that and some jokes/gags, one of them involving Stephen Hawking, so that's good.

It ain't gonna change the world, but it'll be fun to write.

My titles invariably reference music. My current main fiction project's title comes from a misheard Cure lyric - and given the amount of mishearing, miscommunication, and misunderstandings that are central to the story, I think that's quite appropriate. The title is Monuments Of A Ruined Cage, from "a monument to a ruined age" in Cold. The story itself examines the social disintegration of a fundamentalist religious community, and more centrally the mental disintegration of a character who loses his faith. The challenge is presenting a myriad of views separately, and I would hope different readers would come out of it seeing different characters as heroes - one may find the story to be the triumph of agnosticism, while another may see the success of fundamentalism in devoutly fighting the tide of modernism, and a third may see the illustration of a pressing need for social liberalisation within the context of Protestantism.

I can't help that my views and insights into the world are always different than everyone else. All I want is for people to consider and think about what I have to say not look at me as some kind of madman. I can't help that I know things. If it were up to me I wouldn't know anything at all. I just want to be normal but I'm not. I just want people to see what I see. Every time though they immediately say I am wrong or call me names. I don't want to be special. I'd like to hide away from the world if I could. Sometimes you are and you can't change that. I want people to understand but they never will. :(

I am right. You will never understand what I am saying because you are unwilling to listen. You wish to speak and not examine. Call me what you, say about me what you will but I am right. I'm sorry that none of you will understand like most things. :(

Screwtape, see the underlined text there, that you wrote about the rest of the world? It is really quite applicable to the way you act.

My titles invariably reference music. My current main fiction project's title comes from a misheard Cure lyric - and given the amount of mishearing, miscommunication, and misunderstandings that are central to the story, I think that's quite appropriate. The title is Monuments Of A Ruined Cage, from "a monument to a ruined age" in Cold. The story itself examines the social disintegration of a fundamentalist religious community, and more centrally the mental disintegration of a character who loses his faith. The challenge is presenting a myriad of views separately, and I would hope different readers would come out of it seeing different characters as heroes - one may find the story to be the triumph of agnosticism, while another may see the success of fundamentalism in devoutly fighting the tide of modernism, and a third may see the illustration of a pressing need for social liberalisation within the context of Protestantism.

Sounds pretty interesting.

come here baby and gimme some suga :kiss:
:kiss:
hump.gif

but see, there's no need to hide away man! i'm very much curious to hearing different opinions than my own. but i feel like you jump to the "you're wrong, i'm write thing", and i just think, as an observation, that it's actually ironic that you want people to see what you see...but you don't want to see what they see. you see?

There is plenty of reasons to hide away. People aren't willing to listen what I bring the world. I do consider all opinions but some things are fundamentally true like what art is. I never should have opened my mouth. I should never say a word. I'm sorry.

Thanks. Now I just need time to continue writing! Damn university.

Same here. School's up for me in the next 2-3 weeks, so I've just gotta gun it until then and then plow into the outlining/writing process.

There is plenty of reasons to hide away. People aren't willing to listen what I bring the world. I do consider all opinions but some things are fundamentally true like what art is. I never should have opened my mouth. I should never say a word. I'm sorry.

Fuck, dude. Don't say that kind of stuff. It's always great to hear different opinions, that's not the issue here. The only problem anyone has is the way in which you express them. No one's asking for you to change who you fundamentally are, that would be foolhardy, just that you have a little more tact when engaging in discussion with others.

see, when people challenge what you say, you don't need to just draw back into your shell and apologize for saying whatever you did. you didn't insult anyone or anything. you just need to learn how to engage in debates :wink:

Fuck, dude. Don't say that kind of stuff. It's always great to hear different opinions, that's not the issue here. The only problem anyone has is the way in which you express them. No one's asking for you to change who you fundamentally are, that would be foolhardy, just that you have a little more tact when engaging in discussion with others.
exactly. and foolhardy is an awesome word.

sorry for what? don't be sorry. it's okay. i was just sayin. i know you've said before that you feel sort of socially outcast...and i noticed in your discussions on the boards here you actually actively outcast yourself is all. and i just wanted to see if you knew you were consciously doing that. because every disagreement doesn't have to take place like that, ya know? people can agree to disagree. and i think when you consider your opinions more valid than others, you're selling yourself short, and you'll miss out on the opportunity to learn more about people and the unique gifts and perspectives they bring to this world.

All I want is for people to consider and think about what I have to say :(

You know, it is possible for someone to consider and think about what you have to say and still disagree with it. Not everything you think is right. Same goes for us all. It just happens that on the subject at hand most everyone disagrees with your argument. It's ok though, disagreements happen. But refusing to yield any ground at all and then claiming the other side is unwilling to listen isn't exactly conducive to good discussion. If you want people to consider what you're saying and think about it, you should also show them the courtesy of responding with consideration and thought for their side.

I really have nothing to add to this Screwy situation. Enough amusing comments and sage advice has been given. But I'll add to the popular opinion that he's overreacting and needs to realize that people sometimes - or even *gasp* often - disagree with you.

If you want people to consider what you're saying and think about it, you should also show them the courtesy of responding with consideration and thought for their side.

Yeah, frankly I feel every single point that the rest of us have made has been completely ignored, or dismissed without due consideration, just a simple "you're wrong".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom