Brilliant, Alabama Superthread - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2008, 03:52 AM   #631
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Ultimately, I feel sorry for folks who just give up on any sort of spiritual life because evolution has a larger amount of material evidence than creationism. But maybe they just don't want to waste their time. It's an odd subject.
This isn't why I'm an atheist. I've never had spiritual beliefs or believed in god, ever. My parents raised me as a secular jew with a congregation that is god-free - I'm sure there are congregation members who believe in god, but it isn't in the services outside of tradition and wasn't in the sunday school education I received. I was never told there was a god but I also have never been told there isn't a god, and honestly I don't know for sure what each of my parents believe because we have NEVER talked about it. (I know their thoughts on morality, and how you should live a good life, and on political aspects of religion, and we agree that certain religious figures are crazy in their extremity...but never have we discussed god.) So all on my own, I have always felt that there isn't - no spiritual connections, no logical path to thinking there should be, nothing.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:53 AM   #632
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:42 AM
I'm atheist, but I don't like being called an 'atheist' - does that count?

Old 05-24-2008, 03:54 AM   #633
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Quote:
Spiritual beliefs change for many reasons. I don't believe FACTS really have much to do with spiritual faith. At all. My faith has been strengthened by my personal experiences, while others have become discouraged because of them. I think that's mostly what it comes down to...you become biased and you find what you look for. Ultimately, I feel sorry for folks who just give up on any sort of spiritual life because evolution has a larger amount of material evidence than creationism. But maybe they just don't want to waste their time. It's an odd subject.
If I can't prove it, if facts do not sustain the assertion, then I see it as a thorough waste of time. This whole "leap of faith" stuff strikes me as believing something because it suits you, not because it actually has any demonstrable validity. This isn't to say that I won't accept something unless it has been definitively proven - very little, if anything, can be. What I am trying to say is that I seek the conclusions of falsifiable, verifiable evidence, and anything that cannot offer falsifiable, verifiable evidence to substantiate its claims is unprovable and, in all likelihood, completely wrong. After all, if it were correct, should I not be able to demonstrate that with appropriate evidence?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-24-2008, 03:54 AM   #634
The Male

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitek View Post
This isn't why I'm an atheist. I've never had spiritual beliefs or believed in god, ever. My parents raised me as a secular jew with a congregation that is god-free - I'm sure there are congregation members who believe in god, but it isn't in the services outside of tradition and wasn't in the sunday school education I received. I was never told there was a god but I also have never been told there isn't a god, and honestly I don't know for sure what each of my parents believe because we have NEVER talked about it. (I know their thoughts on morality, and how you should live a good life, and on political aspects of religion, and we agree that certain religious figures are crazy in their extremity...but never have we discussed god.) So all on my own, I have always felt that there isn't - no spiritual connections, no logical path to thinking there should be, nothing.
No, I'm not talking about folks like you in particular...I'm just talking about someone who's on the fence. Folks that aren't interested will probably just stay uninterested.

Now.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:55 AM   #635
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I found one of the bottles. It is Fluoxetine.

My mom usually comes along but I can her to leave the room. I know I should tell my shrink all this but I just want to accept it and move on. I don't want them to...I don't know. I just want to move on.
It is wildly inappropriate for your mother to be at your therapy sessions if you are 20 years old, and it is clearly preventing you from getting certain things out into the open and dealing with them with your therapist. Furthermore, I think a therapist that would allow your mom to be there and not want to see you alone is probably not a good therapist. I really think you need to find someone you click with, as DOL and I have both talked about, and see them one on one and open up to them.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:55 AM   #636
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I'm more comfortable with the agnostic label, but it seems some people misinterpret it, and frankly, I need to be honest with myself and say that I don't qualify as an agnostic any more and shouldn't use the label. I am perhaps an agnostic atheist, but not an agnostic.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-24-2008, 03:55 AM   #637
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
why not? :curious:
Old 05-24-2008, 03:57 AM   #638
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Let's see...who else...

I don't think Mia is atheist...I just don't think she really cares that much.

Pfan believes in an afterlife, not sure what faith he subscribes to though.
I think Mia and Pfan have both "lost" some faith or whatever, and are questioning their churches (and parents!) and moving away a little....but I can't speak for them, that's just what I've picked up in conversation
Old 05-24-2008, 03:58 AM   #639
Blue Crack Distributor

This my be too heavy a conversation fo r me to join in on tonight, religious as I am, but also as inebriated as I am...don't think I'd be useful,

But Screwy (is it ok if I call you that?) I liked what you had to write, but are you planning on making it very similar to X-Men, or are you going to veer away soon?
Old 05-24-2008, 03:58 AM   #640
Blue Crack Addict

damn it i just realized eits guy ate my cookie earlier!!!!!

i'm hungry : pouts:
Old 05-24-2008, 03:59 AM   #641
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
If I can't prove it, if facts do not sustain the assertion, then I see it as a thorough waste of time. This whole "leap of faith" stuff strikes me as believing something because it suits you, not because it actually has any demonstrable validity. This isn't to say that I won't accept something unless it has been definitively proven - very little, if anything, can be. What I am trying to say is that I seek the conclusions of falsifiable, verifiable evidence, and anything that cannot offer falsifiable, verifiable evidence to substantiate its claims is unprovable and, in all likelihood, completely wrong. After all, if it were correct, should I not be able to demonstrate that with appropriate evidence?
I dunno. After all these years, I've just found that science is at odds with spirituality and shouldn't be mixed. People try, but I don't get it. You find what you look for by just living life and letting things happen. But you can't prove or disprove God by measuring the strength of the magnetic field around the earth or some shit. I know people who waste their days arguing over fossil records and ancient ruins, looking for truth. More power to them, I guess. I just feel that you're more likely to find God when taking a walk or having a chat with someone you love.

Now.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:59 AM   #642
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
This my be too heavy a conversation fo r me to join in on tonight, religious as I am, but also as inebriated as I am...don't think I'd be useful,
sounds like you had a fun night
Old 05-24-2008, 04:00 AM   #643
Vocal parasite

As an aside, I find myself quite interested in ignosticism/theological noncognitivism and perhaps I may actually be classifiable as one.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-24-2008, 04:01 AM   #644
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I dunno. After all these years, I've just found that science is at odds with spirituality and shouldn't be mixed. People try, but I don't get it. You find what you look for by just living life and letting things happen. But you can't prove or disprove God by measuring the strength of the magnetic field around the earth or some shit. I know people who waste their days arguing over fossil records and ancient ruins, looking for truth. More power to them, I guess. I just feel that you're more likely to find God when taking a walk or having a chat with someone you love.
I think you've finally put into words what I've been trying to say for quite some time
Old 05-24-2008, 04:01 AM   #645
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:12 PM
I wouldn't call myself an atheist despite my atheist beliefs. It's such a generic tag. How about i don't really care either way?

Tags
superthread