Brilliant, Alabama Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Ashley, if you're not making Cumby for the next thread, I've got Hooker, Oklahoma set to go. But I make too many bloody threads so I'd rather someone else do it.

Well if you couldn't even get through the first half, the second half has no chance. But you really should listen to With a Shout for the lulz.

JEH ROO SAH LUM
WHOA WHOA
JEH ROO SAH LUM

:lmao: true

also i kinda love I fall down...there's one live version of it where bono give's a nice speech introducing it that made me appreciate it a lot more

For the record, I already knew Gloria, Tomorrow, and October, and I freakin' love THOSE songs. But I believe it was on the strength of those three alone that U2 ever got the opportunity to make a third album, because JESUS, te rest :tsk:

Somebody clearly didn't get to Rejoice and Fire.

And you like Springsteen. How is anything on October even half as bad as TENTH TENTH TENTH TENTH TENTH TENTH Avenue Freeze-Out or Night?

:yikes: we've got a small suburban campus, i'm in the tallest building at 4 stories!!

but the urban campuses i've seen, like this one in ny, have interesting systems. this building i went to in ny, you took an escalator from the lobby (cause the rest of the building's first floor i think they'd rented for storefront revenue) to the 2nd floor. from there the elevators stopped every 5 floors and there were escalators in between

other systems have local and express elevators in office buildings, where you go up to a "sky lobby"

and there's new smart elevators where you go to a box and tell it what floor you want and it tells you which elevator to minimize stops

and ones that are 2 stories

<is kinda an elevator nerd, apparently

All of those sound better than the clusterfuck we have.

There's something about 50+ people trying to use 4 lifts with a very small lobby on the ground floor that feels hopeless. I try to never be less than 15 minutes early for class for this reason.

Oh, and what's rickrolling?

linking someone to this

YouTube - Rick Astley-Never Gonna Give You Up

but pretending they're gonna see something else....not gonna work with the link > title conversion

i don't get it either, i didn't even know it existed as a prank until recently, but i'd sure as hell encountered the much more damaging versions, goatsee and tubgirl (google image search if you really must know)

My mom rickrolled me. I had told her about rickrolling because she likes that song. And then way later I was in the kitchen and mom was like "Chasity! Come here, I want to show you something!" and she frequently makes me look at random stuff she finds online or on TV. So I went in there and as soon as I got near the computer she started playing the video. And I was like "ARGH I GOT RICKROLLED BY MY MOM!"

There's something about 50+ people trying to use 4 lifts with a very small lobby on the ground floor that feels hopeless. I try to never be less than 15 minutes early for class for this reason.

so i read this article recently in the new yorker about elevators, partly on a guy who'd been stuck 40 hours in one and it basically ruined his life (they even had a video of the security footage of the whole time, sped up) and also talking about how elevators can make or break a building - you want them to take up the least amount of space cuase you can't get rent, but under-elevator and your building is useless.

sounds like your building was under-elevatored.

optimizing elevators in skyscrapers are a really cool puzzle to solve, the article makes me wish a tiny tiny bit i was an engineer so i could do that!

Four lifts? Sounds like heaven compared to a few buildings I know.

In Queensland, this one nine storey building had two lifts. Two very agonisingly slow lifts. And almost always, one was out of service.

Both of them being out of service REALLY sucked. I was lucky that the worst I had was classes on the sixth floor, and the "ground" entry was actually the second floor on all sides but one.

<is kinda an elevator nerd, apparently

Keep working on this so that Ian and I don't look like the only inanimate object lunatics here. :wink:

I got really good with elevator efficiency when I used to play SimTower ... :lol:

Four lifts? Sounds like heaven compared to a few buildings I know.

In Queensland, this one nine storey building had two lifts. Two very agonisingly slow lifts. And almost always, one was out of service.

Both of them being out of service REALLY sucked. I was lucky that the worst I had was classes on the sixth floor, and the "ground" entry was actually the second floor on all sides but one.

ouch

the biggest problem is in urban housing developments, where you've got buildings in awful shape and people who for various reasons (they're already in bad shape, they're angry about the social situation, etc) vandalize the elevators including putting christmas trees in them and lighting them on fire. so then you've got a 30 story housing project and no elevator and damn does that make it tough on people who live on the upper floors and can't afford other options. that's like hours of your day climbing stairs! if you're elderly or sick, you're fucked.

It's a shame, because our new building has fucked up lifts but great stairs.

One floor stairs, one floor escalator to about 2/3rds up the building - then you have to search for the fire exit stairs if you want to keep walking up.

The lifts are fucked. If it's going down and someone gets on and presses a button to go up, the fucking thing will go up again.

Plus, it's a university building. Don't skimp on the elevators.

Keep working on this so that Ian and I don't look like the only inanimate object lunatics here. :wink:

I got really good with elevator efficiency when I used to play SimTower ... :lol:

i never got into the sim games but sounds fun

and no i doubt i'll be going around taking pictures of elevators any time soon thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom