Brilliant, Alabama Superthread - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2008, 11:57 PM   #331
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
Would you mind not taking my points, adding original thought, expanding on them and then presenting them nicely?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
unico is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:59 PM   #332
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I can't help that my views and insights into the world are always different than everyone else. All I want is for people to consider and think about what I have to say not look at me as some kind of madman. I can't help that I know things. If it were up to me I wouldn't know anything at all. I just want to be normal but I'm not. I just want people to see what I see. Every time though they immediately say I am wrong or call me names. I don't want to be special. I'd like to hide away from the world if I could. Sometimes you are and you can't change that. I want people to understand but they never will.

but see, there's no need to hide away man! i'm very much curious to hearing different opinions than my own. but i feel like you jump to the "you're wrong, i'm write thing", and i just think, as an observation, that it's actually ironic that you want people to see what you see...but you don't want to see what they see. you see?
__________________

__________________
unico is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #333
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,044
Local Time: 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Music's been huge for me as well. Radiohead's given me the title and main theme for it already.

It's a comedy/drama called Weird Fishes, tying into the theme of "big fish in the small pond," and it's about high school seniors reflecting on their past/present/future before they part ways to go to college. That's really all I've got so far... that and some jokes/gags, one of them involving Stephen Hawking, so that's good.

It ain't gonna change the world, but it'll be fun to write.
My titles invariably reference music. My current main fiction project's title comes from a misheard Cure lyric - and given the amount of mishearing, miscommunication, and misunderstandings that are central to the story, I think that's quite appropriate. The title is Monuments Of A Ruined Cage, from "a monument to a ruined age" in Cold. The story itself examines the social disintegration of a fundamentalist religious community, and more centrally the mental disintegration of a character who loses his faith. The challenge is presenting a myriad of views separately, and I would hope different readers would come out of it seeing different characters as heroes - one may find the story to be the triumph of agnosticism, while another may see the success of fundamentalism in devoutly fighting the tide of modernism, and a third may see the illustration of a pressing need for social liberalisation within the context of Protestantism.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #334
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
"you're wrong, i'm write thing"
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #335
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I can't help that my views and insights into the world are always different than everyone else. All I want is for people to consider and think about what I have to say not look at me as some kind of madman. I can't help that I know things. If it were up to me I wouldn't know anything at all. I just want to be normal but I'm not. I just want people to see what I see. Every time though they immediately say I am wrong or call me names. I don't want to be special. I'd like to hide away from the world if I could. Sometimes you are and you can't change that. I want people to understand but they never will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I am right. You will never understand what I am saying because you are unwilling to listen. You wish to speak and not examine. Call me what you, say about me what you will but I am right. I'm sorry that none of you will understand like most things.
Screwtape, see the underlined text there, that you wrote about the rest of the world? It is really quite applicable to the way you act.
__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #336
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
My titles invariably reference music. My current main fiction project's title comes from a misheard Cure lyric - and given the amount of mishearing, miscommunication, and misunderstandings that are central to the story, I think that's quite appropriate. The title is Monuments Of A Ruined Cage, from "a monument to a ruined age" in Cold. The story itself examines the social disintegration of a fundamentalist religious community, and more centrally the mental disintegration of a character who loses his faith. The challenge is presenting a myriad of views separately, and I would hope different readers would come out of it seeing different characters as heroes - one may find the story to be the triumph of agnosticism, while another may see the success of fundamentalism in devoutly fighting the tide of modernism, and a third may see the illustration of a pressing need for social liberalisation within the context of Protestantism.
Sounds pretty interesting.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:06 AM   #337
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post

come here baby and gimme some suga
__________________
unico is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #338
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
come here baby and gimme some suga
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #339
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,044
Local Time: 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Sounds pretty interesting.
Thanks. Now I just need time to continue writing! Damn university.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #340
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
but see, there's no need to hide away man! i'm very much curious to hearing different opinions than my own. but i feel like you jump to the "you're wrong, i'm write thing", and i just think, as an observation, that it's actually ironic that you want people to see what you see...but you don't want to see what they see. you see?
There is plenty of reasons to hide away. People aren't willing to listen what I bring the world. I do consider all opinions but some things are fundamentally true like what art is. I never should have opened my mouth. I should never say a word. I'm sorry.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:09 AM   #341
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Thanks. Now I just need time to continue writing! Damn university.
Same here. School's up for me in the next 2-3 weeks, so I've just gotta gun it until then and then plow into the outlining/writing process.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:09 AM   #342
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
wtf. i don't even know how to respond to that.
__________________
unico is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #343
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
There is plenty of reasons to hide away. People aren't willing to listen what I bring the world. I do consider all opinions but some things are fundamentally true like what art is. I never should have opened my mouth. I should never say a word. I'm sorry.
Fuck, dude. Don't say that kind of stuff. It's always great to hear different opinions, that's not the issue here. The only problem anyone has is the way in which you express them. No one's asking for you to change who you fundamentally are, that would be foolhardy, just that you have a little more tact when engaging in discussion with others.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #344
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
There is plenty of reasons to hide away. People aren't willing to listen what I bring the world. I do consider all opinions but some things are fundamentally true like what art is. I never should have opened my mouth. I should never say a word. I'm sorry.
see, when people challenge what you say, you don't need to just draw back into your shell and apologize for saying whatever you did. you didn't insult anyone or anything. you just need to learn how to engage in debates
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #345
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
wtf. i don't even know how to respond to that.
then my work here is done.
__________________

__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com