Brilliant, Alabama Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it good? Is it revealing of the characters? Will it make people think about their own beliefs?

I'm not sure I can really answer that, not being someone with much of a grasp of the medium. I feel like the conversation is stilted and contrived, but that's a quality I associate with comics in general.

Screwtape, you just don't get it. You're wrong. Everyone sees that. You're clearly out of your depth, but go ahead. I'm not sure if it's out of pig-headedness, arrogance or sheer naivete, but keep on trying. It'll only confirm everyone's thoughts more.

I know, since you're ignoring most of my responses.

I'm not sure I can really answer that, not being someone with much of a grasp of the medium. I feel like the conversation is stilted and contrived, but that's a quality I associate with comics in general.

They are, but in a pulpy, tongue-in-cheek, cavalier sort of way.

Screwy, what are you trying to go for here?

I don't know why I'm posting in there anymore, honestly. It's something I feel compelled by, I guess.

Reading the comic now, Screwy. First suggestion though, none of these characters are actually speaking to each other. They're all spouting off these aphoristic phrases on how to improve the world. I like the idea you have here and I'm sure it would translate better with the artwork intact, but there's absolutely no subtlety to the dialogue. Perhaps it's intentional, but it's coming off as heavy-handed.

It is actually supposed to be like that in a way. I want to fix the dialouge between Beholder and Nighthawk but for Nighthawk and The Voice it is meant to be an exchange of thoughts. I want the reader to think of it as two minds in one. The conversation is like passing thoughts instead of actual human communication. I want there to be a different feel when people are talking to The Voice than when they are talking to each other.

I know, since you're ignoring most of my responses.

They are, but in a pulpy, tongue-in-cheek, cavalier sort of way.

Screwy, what are you trying to go for here?

Like I said the conversation is meant to feel like two minds in one passing wandering thoughts like a tapestry out of an epiphany. What did you think of it overall?

Okay, that makes sense, but it comes off as incredibly self-righteous and heavy-handed. You're not giving these characters any individuality or defining traits - it was 3 pages and I had a hard time following who was saying what. People like Alan Moore can delve into these sorts of questions and philosophies through their comics and world they create. This comes off more like the author speaking directly to me. It doesn't go anywhere, or at least you're ideas aren't transferring well onto paper. And where did Mephisto's Realm come into play? As a reader, I don't like seeing the writer force his view onto me that severely, but if it was introduced into the dialogue/story with subtlety, then it's all good in da 'hood.

I didn't like reading this, but it's cool that you're trying. :up:

I don't know why I'm posting in there anymore, honestly. It's something I feel compelled by, I guess.

Reading the comic now, Screwy. First suggestion though, none of these characters are actually speaking to each other. They're all spouting off these aphoristic phrases on how to improve the world. I like the idea you have here and I'm sure it would translate better with the artwork intact, but there's absolutely no subtlety to the dialogue. Perhaps it's intentional, but it's coming off as heavy-handed.

I'd be inclined to agree with this assessment.

Screws, have you read/seen Waiting for Godot?

If you haven't, I highly suggest it. It could be very helpful for your writing. Basically, Beckett delves into these existential and religious themes through his characters while keeping the focus on them.

Screwtape, you just don't get it. You're wrong. Everyone sees that. You're clearly out of your depth, but go ahead. I'm not sure if it's out of pig-headedness, arrogance or sheer naivete, but keep on trying. It'll only confirm everyone's thoughts more.

If you all would stop to listen to me you would see I am right. It is that simply. Call me arrogant and whatever else you want because believe me I have been called worse here. I know I am right.

I have become rather convinced that anybody who boldly proclaims "I am right! I know I am right!" is actually going to turn out to be wrong a lot of the time, because such a proclamation is so lacking in nuance that it indicates the individual's own analysis is going to lack nuance too.

But shall we not drag the other thread's argument in here?

I have become rather convinced that anybody who boldly proclaims "I am right! I know I am right!" is actually going to turn out to be wrong a lot of the time, because such a proclamation is so lacking in nuance that it indicates the individual's own analysis is going to lack nuance too.

But shall we not drag the other thread's argument in here?

Fair enough.

So have you listened to my DI list yet, Ax? :wink:

Okay, that makes sense, but it comes off as incredibly self-righteous and heavy-handed. You're not giving these characters any individuality or defining traits - it was 3 pages and I had a hard time following who was saying what. People like Alan Moore can delve into these sorts of questions and philosophies through their comics and world they create. This comes off more like the author speaking directly to me. It doesn't go anywhere, or at least you're ideas aren't transferring well onto paper. And where did Mephisto's Realm come into play? As a reader, I don't like seeing the writer force his view onto me that severely, but if it was introduced into the dialogue/story with subtlety, then it's all good in da 'hood.

I didn't like reading this, but it's cool that you're trying. :up:

I am going to re-write it. Thanks for the analysis. It has been very helpful. :up:

If you all would stop to listen to me you would see I am right. It is that simply. Call me arrogant and whatever else you want because believe me I have been called worse here. I know I am right.

I will try to say this as nicely as possible. I don't think you're a bad person, in fact you seem to be just fine most of the time. But you need to get over yourself and take yourself just a little less seriously. You seem to take everything you think of incredibly seriously, and in some instances give it much more merit than it deserves. You would do well to be more critical (constructively, of course) of your own thoughts more often, and more open to changing your opinion when faced with evidence that goes against it. You are young, and it shows in how naively you believe your opinion to be the God-spoken truth of the matter, regardless of the mountain of evidence against it.

With regards to the art thread, you are wrong, and that has been entirely proven to everyone else's satisfaction.

:shrug:

Yeah for a few hours, probably.

Righto. I'm going out grocery shopping soon (ugh), but if you're around when I get back, I might as well give it a spin and do a running diary.

Otherwise, there's always tomorrow.

Righto. I'm going out grocery shopping soon (ugh), but if you're around when I get back, I might as well give it a spin and do a running diary.

Otherwise, there's always tomorrow.

Sounds good to me.

Yeah. I'll check it out. I'm going to work on the dialouge this weekend when I'm at my aunt's. Again, thanks for the help.

No problemo.

I think you'll really like Godot. That, Thornton Wilder's Our Town, and Woody Allen's fucking awesome Annie Hall have been pretty influential to me as I've been developing my new idea for a play.

Last edited:
hey screwy, how's it going? quick question, and this isn't meant to be insulting or anything, it's entirely honest.

i've noticed when you get into arguments with people, you are very inclined to stand your ground, which, has it's perks and flaws. but you get upset and offended when people don't agree with you. yet, when others ask you to consider another perspective, you tell them they are wrong and you are right.

why are you so inclined to isolate yourself from others instead of reach out to them? and i know this isn't always the case. we've had some nice exchanges here, you and i. but when it comes to a discussion with disagreements, i feel as though you climb up to a pedestal, sit atop, and look down on us, then get sad and feel alone. when you were the one who climbed!

that's just an observation. what do you think about that?

No problemo.

I think you'll really like Godot. That, Thornton Wilder's Our Town, and Woody Allen's fucking awesome Annie Hall have been pretty influential to me as I've been developing my new idea for a play.

Speaking of influential things, I've found the biggest influence on my own writing has actually been music. I think the only author who I would identify as strongly influential on my fiction writing would be Fyodor Dostoevsky.

hey screwy, how's it going? quick question, and this isn't meant to be insulting or anything, it's entirely honest.

i've noticed when you get into arguments with people, you are very inclined to stand your ground, which, has it's perks and flaws. but you get upset and offended when people don't agree with you. yet, when others ask you to consider another perspective, you tell them they are wrong and you are right.

why are you so inclined to isolate yourself from others instead of reach out to them? and i know this isn't always the case. we've had some nice exchanges here, you and i. but when it comes to a discussion with disagreements, i feel as though you climb up to a pedestal, sit atop, and look down on us, then get sad and feel alone. when you were the one who climbed!

Would you mind not taking my points, adding original thought, expanding on them and then presenting them nicely?

I can't help that my views and insights into the world are always different than everyone else. All I want is for people to consider and think about what I have to say not look at me as some kind of madman. I can't help that I know things. If it were up to me I wouldn't know anything at all. I just want to be normal but I'm not. I just want people to see what I see. Every time though they immediately say I am wrong or call me names. I don't want to be special. I'd like to hide away from the world if I could. Sometimes you are and you can't change that. I want people to understand but they never will. :(

Speaking of influential things, I've found the biggest influence on my own writing has actually been music. I think the only author who I would identify as strongly influential on my fiction writing would be Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Music's been huge for me as well. Radiohead's given me the title and main theme for it already.

It's a comedy/drama called Weird Fishes, tying into the theme of "big fish in the small pond," and it's about high school seniors reflecting on their past/present/future before they part ways to go to college. That's really all I've got so far... that and some jokes/gags, one of them involving Stephen Hawking, so that's good.

It ain't gonna change the world, but I hope it'll provoke some thought without being completely pretentious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom