Bridget Jones - Chubby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
I was reading a review of the movie today in which they refer to Bridget/Renee Zellweger as "the plump protagonist" "chubby" and "...the extra pounds are carried around by Zellweger's pouty Bridget, like someone trying on a fat suit..."

And it's not just this one paper, everyone is making a huge deal about it. It's one thing if she were now drastically overweight, but she looks perfectly normal to me! She's no heavier than ME, and I resent being considered chubby. She may not be a stick insect model, but this is ridiciulous!

It also blows my mind to think she had to gain 40lbs to look this normal. That is really scary.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Renée Zellweger looks unhealthy at her "normal" weight...It's weird how they focus on her weight gain for this movie when most North Americans are that weight or more, including some of those people who review the movie.

It really bugs me too. Especially considering the point of the book was that she *wasn't* fat, but she thought she was. In the movie, they deliberately stuffed her in small clothes and did close-ups of her butt like "look at this fat cow!"

And they sell it to women like look, someday you fat girls can get a man too, it's not all bad. The books were hysterical, but I hated the first film and I doubt even Colin Firth can get me to watch the second. (He said she looked better in the movie too.)

Renee Zellweger makes it worse by constantly going on the record by saying how she's really thin in real life, "once I stop stuffing my face, I look like this," etc. Which is a lie if you go back and watch Jerry Maguire, where she looks healthy and normal. I used to think she was very pretty, but now she just looks pinched and sick.

Consider what Hollywood deems normative through diet and plastic surgery.

It seems she had to gain 40lbs to move out of the Hollywood norm and join the rest of us.

Hewson said:
Is it me or does Renee always look like she has just sucked on a lemon?

:yes:

She does some sort of a weird pouty thing with her lips ... I think she is trying to be drmure or coy, but she ends up looking ridiculous.

I wonder if she's had Botox or something done, because now she doesn't seem able to open her eyes or mouth fully. Whenever I see her interviewed, it's like she's paralyzed. :eyebrow:

I read somewhere that her "fat" Bridget Jones weight is the totally normal weight for a woman of her height and structure to have. Her usual wieght is almost severely underwieght. Great message to send to young girls huh?

she does have a strange face sometimes it looks like the lemon sucking thing and sometimes it looks a little bloated- i liked her in jerry mcguire- i think she looked pretty normal in that.... not normal but balanced..that weight up and down thing is confusing!

I think it's sad that it would even be such a big deal that the romantic lead in a movie isn't a size 6. :(

Personally, I think the whole character of Bridget Jones (at least the movie version - I've never read the books) is a whiny, insecure, shallow, clueless, annoying mess, regardless of her size.

everybody knows we net surfers are a bunch of lard asses

something like 30-40 per cent of americans are overweight

i am 15 pounds over my bmi index.

i am working on it
instead of burying my head in the sand.

Renee probably does what probably the rest of Hollywood does to retain their "NORMAL" weight.

Take loads of diet pills
Get so high off the crap that they run 5-6 miles a day.
Afterwards eat a chicken breast
Liposuction

They will do anything to maintain their "natural size 0" Vainity bugs me.

Bono's shades said:

I think the whole character of Bridget Jones (at least the movie version - I've never read the books) is a whiny, insecure, shallow, clueless, annoying mess, regardless of her size.

I saw the movie but didn't read the books-is the message of either that she is that kind of mess BECAUSE of her weight? That's the impression the movie gave me.

Sometimes I think perhaps people say one thing and think another. When I was about 19 I was almost as thin as Renee is (and I was almost starving myself) and got so many compliments. Once my metabolism went south and my body changed permanently (and I wasn't starving myself as much), the compliments about my weight vanished. No one ever questioned why I was so thin, but they sure question (ed) why I'm not anymore.

I'd rather get compliments about other things, but still..

Yeah...I was really underwieght around that age to....I was touring the national circuit for kenpo and I was in the gym bout 3 hours a day and really not eating enough. Now I'm 'normal' but it's really messed with me because I miss being more tiny.

starsgoblue said:
Yeah...I was really underwieght around that age to....I was touring the national circuit for kenpo and I was in the gym bout 3 hours a day and really not eating enough. Now I'm 'normal' but it's really messed with me because I miss being more tiny.

Yeah...*sigh* I REALLY miss gymnastics, and not just b/c I was thinner, but b/c I FELT better - more awake, more energetic, more alive. I don't really obsess over gaining weight in the past few years, mostly b/c I know it's my fault b/c of no exercise and poor diet, but that's just how college is. A full class load, hours of homework, and two jobs just doesn't leave room for workout time :(

Back
Top Bottom