Brideshead Revisited Appreciation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aardvark747

Blue Crack Addict
The finest Drama Series to come out of England. It is being re-shown on UKDrama right now, and is still utterly superb!

Here is a review off Amazon, it describes it better than I can!

Fill a bowl with alpine strawberries, break out the Château Lafite (1899, of course) and bask in Brideshead Revisited, the 1981 miniseries based on Evelyn Waugh's classic novel, adapted for the screen by John Mortimer.

In his breakthrough role, Jeremy Irons stars as Charles Ryder, a disillusioned Army captain who is moved to reflect on his "languid days" in the "enchanted castle" that was Brideshead, home of the aristocratic Marchmain family, whose acquaintance Charles made in the company of an Oxford classmate, the charming wild-child Sebastian. Anthony Andrews costars as the doomed Sebastian, whose beauty is "arresting" and "whose eccentricities and behaviour seemed to know no bounds".

The "entitled and enchanted" Sebastian takes Charles under his wing ("Charles, what a lot you have to learn"), but vows early on that he is "not going to let [Charles] get mixed up with [his] family." But mixed up Charles gets. He becomes a friend and confidante, not to mention a lover, to Sebastian's sister Julia (Diana Quick). Meanwhile, the self-destructive Sebastian's life spirals out of control.

Brideshead Revisited boasts a distinguished ensemble cast, including Laurence Olivier in his Emmy Award-winning role as the exiled Lord Marchmain, Claire Bloom as Lady Marchmain, and the magnificent John Gielgud as Charles's estranged father. Grand locations and a haunting musical score make this a memorable revisit of an irretrievable bygone era.

:bow:

They're re-showing it? Oh excellent!

I just spent a month in Oxford, and spent a decent amount of my time paying homage to Brideshead. My friend and I actually bought a bear, named him Aloysius, and brought him punting with us.

Regina said:
They're re-showing it? Oh excellent!

I just spent a month in Oxford, and spent a decent amount of my time paying homage to Brideshead. My friend and I actually bought a bear, named him Aloysius, and brought him punting with us.

:up: Cool! I want to go to Castle Howard one day where they shot most of the Brideshead home footage.

Btw - I hope u didnt get too drunk with ur friend and end up throwing up in thru the window of an Oxford student's digs!:eek:

;)

It was repeated on UK Drama about 2 years ago.

I don't think I have ever watched the entire series back to back, I vaguely recall watching bits of it when it first came out, then a few bits more some years later, etc.

But one of best series ever.

Aardvark747 said:

:up: Cool! I want to go to Castle Howard one day where they shot most of the Brideshead home footage.

*Feels she should do her bit for Yorkshire Tourist Board*

Castle Howard is so gorgeous!! The grounds especially are just :drool: words cannot describe it. The journey to Castle Howard also has some reallly, really, stunning views.

I've not been up to Castle Howard for years but I remember going there with Mum and Dad on days out in the summer hols when I was younger. Happy Times. :)

Back
Top Bottom