Brian Eno Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XHendrix24

Refugee
How is it possible that there's only been one thread for this man in this forum? There's about five thousand Coldplay and Radiohead threads, and this will be Brian Eno's second. On a U2 forum nonetheless. For shame, interference. For shame.

:tsk:

Anyway, I guess I'll kick off the appreciation by heaping some praise on Here Come the Warm Jets. What an album. All of you folks on here that are into "experimental" music or even just quirky pop music really must check this one out, at least. Some truly amazing work on here.

Baby's On Fire :drool:

Now... appreciate. :wink:

I just own "Music for Airports", I think is fantastic... and beautiful

I don't know which one I should get next, any suggestions?

To be honest, I'm no expert concerning his music myself, and mainly posted this after looking for reccomendations and coming up fruitless, which I would never have expected on a U2 forum, considering the man played such a large part in U2's best works. :wink:

I just picked up Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy, Before and After Science, and Another Green World - all of which I've heard great things about - but I haven't gotten a chance to listen to them yet.

I have heard Here Come the Warm Jets and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (his collaboration with David Byrne of Talking Heads), which are both marvelous. HCTWJ puts most of the focus on his strange (and extremely interesting, I might add) pop songs with guest musicians such as Robert Fripp, and MLITBOG puts more focus on rhythmic instrumentals. Both are brilliant in their own rights, though. I was really hoping someone could give some input on the rest of his work, but I'm not so sure if that's going to happen anymore. ;)

I may check out Music For Airports after I'm done with these, though. I've heard good things, and you seem to like it a lot. I've yet to venture into his ambient period myself, but once again, I've heard good things (though that may be because he's basically the father of the genre).

Another Green World is absolutely amazing. I can't believe it's the only album I own of his work. But just form this one release it's brutally obvious how much this man has shaped the past 30 years of popular music. AMAZING.

My favorite Eno albums, in none too particular an order, are Here Come the Warm Jets, Discreet Music, Another Green World, Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy), Apollo, and both Ambient 1: Music for Airports and Ambient 4: On Land.

Even some of these records are patchy and uneven, at times, but they burst with genius in ways that few other records do. Even a mostly forgettable effort like Before and After Science is well-stocked with unforgettable moments of pure transcendence. It`s like, a lot of his less prominent works are only less prominent because they were produced by him. While it`s true that he is beyond worthless, these days, his back catalogue is still impossibly rich.

Try out his collaborations with Cluster and Robert Fripp to get an even better idea of some of the great stuff with which he`s been associated, over the years. And if you want stuff with which he didn`t have anything to do with, but which he influenced, all the same, try out the first three Wire albums--Pink Flag, Chairs Missing, and 154...especially Chairs Missing, though. I mean, seriously. Chairs Missing, motherfuckers. It`s Eno sans Eno. It`s also amazing both as a piece of art and as a shocking testament to the man`s importance...as if his work with the Heads and Bowie alone weren`t already proof enough, you know...?

I still don't know what "Enossification" he did on Genesis' materpiece Lamb Lies Down On Broadway :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom