Brian Eno & Danny Hillis at Skirball in LA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ladera Heights

The Fly
Anyone go to this? I went last night and it was pretty highbrow...in fact probably a little too highbrow for the Hollywood meatheats in the audience.

No U2 was mentioned, but Eno and Danny Hillis are both part of the Long Now Foundation and they discussed this quite a bit. But the purpose of the talk was to discuss creative thinking and how major "events" or ideas are really the culmination of long gestation periods.

Danny got Eno to talk about his jam session a few days ago with Herbie Hancock. Eno discussed "regenerative" music as the future of music.

I could listen to Eno lecture for hours. He's really interesting and has everything well thought out. No wonder U2 always run things by him.

Lots of luminaries in the audience too. I rode the elevator with Chris Martin from Coldplay, who are playing Coachella this weekend. Saw video director Mark Romanek, Eric Erlandson from Hole, and a lot of people who look famous.

Fun in LA!

Sherman Oaks is a stones throw from the Skirball! It was really really great. I saw the ad in the LA Weekly last Friday, so I barely got tickets last minute.

He also talked about being creative in a collaborative environment, which applies to his work on U2 albums. He said things that are second nature to him and obvious to his way of doing things can often be new to his collaborators. He also said his favorite music is usually about yearning, about not being able to be what one isn't or can't ever be, and that that tension produces the most interesting and passionate music. This is the vein that runs all through U2 songs and explains a lot of what we heard on JT and AB.

Back
Top Bottom