Brian Eno?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenny

The Fly
Hey all,
Lately i've been listening to Brian Eno's 'Songs for Airports' and i'm loving it!
It's so relaxing!
So I'm checked online for his other albums and there's heaps of them :(
I'm just wondering which albums are the best to buy off him? and which ones to look out for
Thanks!

If you ask me, you absolutly MUST purchase only two more albums, although there are many others which are worthwhile. No matter what, I think that these work best AS ALBUMS and are the most cohesive works he's ever released, probably because he hadn't yet spread himself in 1000 directions and lost his sense of direction and his focus on HIS OWN music. Amazing, amazing, amazing music:

Here Come The Warm Jets
Another Green World

But, if you're diggin' on Ambient 1: Music for Airports, then you might enjoy some of the other albums from the same series:

Ambient II: The Plateaux of Mirror
Ambient IV: On Land

All of these albums have recently been remastered and rereleased, and they REALLY benefit from this work (also reissued were Discreet Music [which is more along the lines of his ambient works], Before And After Science, and Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) [the latter two are more like Warm Jets and Green World]). As far as his older stuff goes, I'd stay away from the rest of it for now simply because a lot of it doesn't sound very good on CD.

As for more recent work (and it's here that I'm not as well-informed, because Eno has become increasingly, maybe even completely, irrelevant as the times have passed him by), I often read positive reviews for the very-ambient (I think he called them "holographic," actually, because they had visual components, too...?) Thursday Afternoon and Neroli, both of which were originally released in (I think...) the early-'90s and the latter of which was reissued maybe a year or two ago. Something like that...!

I hope that that helps! Sorry for the deluge...
His work with Roxy Music, David Bowie, and the Talking Heads is also quite amazing and worth investigating.

Back
Top Bottom