Brest Railway Museum, Belarus Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I think I'll take this moment to say this:

I've seen 3 Hitchcock movies (in recent times enough for me to remember what they are about, I saw a LOT of his films between the ages of 5-10)

They were: Strangers On A Train, Rear Window, and North by Northwest.

I'm about to get shot for what I'm going to say, but, Strangers aside, I do NOT get the appeal for Hitchcock.
All Rear Window and North by Northwest seemed to be were thinly veiled sexual inuendo, and super cheesy, convenient plots. Honestly I wasn't even close to impressed.

You may put me before the firing squad now.

Be glad NSW isn't here to read this.

I'd try and relate to you right now, but I'm too tired to be that sympathetic. That's cool if you don't like the guy, as long as you acknowledge his importance to suspense/thriller genre and film as a whole, it's no big deal.

I think abortion is way overblown as an issue. I'm much more worried about other things.

But politicians need their precious moral panics to keep the voting sheep onside. Won't you think of the poor politicians trying to stay in a career!

Be glad NSW isn't here to read this.

I'd try and relate to you right now, but I'm too tired to be that sympathetic. That's cool if you don't like the guy, as long as you acknowledge his importance to suspense/thriller genre and film as a whole, it's no big deal.

I know, I know it would hurt him inside.

Like I said, I really have only seen those three, I'm gonna keep checking them out because, I really DID like Strangers on A Train, I thought that one was fantastically well done.

I don't know, the other two were just...not what I was expecting at all

A guy's a guy, and a girl's a girl, and that's that to me. I'm not saying that both have to be radically masculine or feminine, that would be ridiculous, but they were born that specific gender for a reason. Circumstance and environmental issues (not global warming, guys) breed that thought, not actual genetics and shit.

But you should be who you want to be. You can't run away your whole life from your identity. If they feel they should be a different gender than they have every right. Think of it like this: life is a journey you may start out as one person and one gender but life can take you places that change you.

The biggest issue to me (and to NSW, I believe) is the death penalty. The economy and ending the war are right behind it.

I know, I know it would hurt him inside.

Like I said, I really have only seen those three, I'm gonna keep checking them out because, I really DID like Strangers on A Train, I thought that one was fantastically well done.

I don't know, the other two were just...not what I was expecting at all

I'm a relative novice on Hitch's work, too, so don't feel too bad. Rear Window and North by Northwest are two of my favorite films, along with Psycho and Vertigo. I will agree that The Birds is pretty overrated, while Marnie is just plain bad. Still need to see Strangers.

Do you like Howard Hawks, Ashley?

All I've seen of his is The Big Sleep, and that is my least favorite Bogie Movie. Why he decided to add more scenes with bogie/Bacall just because they were recently married is beyond me, it ruined the film for me.

The biggest issue to me (and to NSW, I believe) is the death penalty. The economy and ending the war are right behind it.

I'm moderate and even I can't see how someone who's read up could possibly support the death penalty. I understand the surface appeal, but not much else.

I'm a relative novice on Hitch's work, too, so don't feel too bad. Rear Window and North by Northwest are two of my favorite films, along with Psycho and Vertigo. I will agree that The Birds is pretty overrated, while Marnie is just plain bad. Still need to see Strangers.

GOD! How did I forget Psycho! Jesus, I loved that movie.

I knew how it ended, and was still tricked into believing that couldn't possibly be how it ended. That was f'in epic.

But politicians need their precious moral panics to keep the voting sheep onside. Won't you think of the poor politicians trying to stay in a career!

Ha.

As far as issues go, there's only two I'd say definitively have a right side and a wrong side: gay rights and the death penalty.

But you should be who you want to be. You can't run away your whole life from your identity. If they feel they should be a different gender than they have every right. Think of it like this: life is a journey you may start out as one person and one gender but life can take you places that change you.

Every one goes through life picking up new things every once and a while... at least most do. You can learn to use a whole array of emotions, but that doesn't mean you switch genders as a result of it.

I don't like penises, yet I have one. I love boobies, does this mean I should have boobies? No, it doesn't.

Every one goes through life picking up new things every once and a while... at least most do. You can learn to use a whole array of emotions, but that doesn't mean you switch genders as a result of it.

I don't like penises, yet I have one. I love boobies, does this mean I should have boobies? No, it doesn't.

You're holding yourself back, man. Think of the possibilities.

I'm moderate and even I can't see how someone who's read up could possibly support the death penalty. I understand the surface appeal, but not much else.

The death penalty is my issue. I wrote a six page epic paper on the issue and got a 100% from my very conservative English teacher.

I'm not sure which I'd view as the biggest issue personally, the environment or social justice. I suppose they tie together as the social environment we create within the physical environment. I mean, we're pretty fucked without a decent environment to live in, and I don't want to live in any society rife with injustice, marginalisation, and inequity. The situation of the Aborigines here in Australia, for example, nauseates and sickens me beyond words.

If I were in the US, then ending the war would be right up there too.

I don't get involved in environmental issues because I hate nature. It bores me and gives me allergies. Fuck.

:lol: That may be word for word everyone's response here in the superthread when talking about abortion a month or two ago.
My two cents:

Abortion should be legal, but it shouldn't be used as a birth control method. Some sort of records should be kept, so that if a woman gets more than two or three abortions, she can be counseled about her sexual practices.

I use birth control, but no method is 100% effective. If through some fluke I ended up pregnant, I'd certainly want the option to have an abortion.

I'd also like to add that the morning-after pill (which is not to be confused with the so called 'abortion pill', as the morning-after pill actually prevents conception), should be more easily available, when needed.

And schools should definitely be teaching safe sex practices, rather than that stupid 'abstinence-only' crap which doesn't accomplish a damn thing.

And condoms. Condoms should be fucking everywhere, and everyone should be using them. They should put them in cereal boxes as prizes.

I'm sorry but that is incredibly narrow-minded. Everyone should have a right to be who they feel they are inside. If they feel they are a different sex inside then they should be able to make the transition. It is basic human freedom.

All I've seen of his is The Big Sleep, and that is my least favorite Bogie Movie. Why he decided to add more scenes with bogie/Bacall just because they were recently married is beyond me, it ruined the film for me.

Oh, I've never watched all of The Big Sleep, to be honest. I have been meaning to but since noone seems to know exactly what the hell goes on in it, I get sort of put off by that. But he's a great director and you should definitely check out more of his stuff, he worked in like a million genres too. The Cary Grant movies of his are always good.

My two cents:

Abortion should be legal, but it shouldn't be used as a birth control method. Some sort of records should be kept, so that if a woman gets more than two or three abortions, she can be counseled about her sexual practices.

I use birth control, but no method is 100% effective. If through some fluke I ended up pregnant, I'd certainly want the option to have an abortion.

I'd also like to add that the morning-after pill (which is not to be confused with the so called 'abortion pill', as the morning-after pill actually prevents conception), should be more easily available, when needed.

And schools should definitely be teaching safe sex practices, rather than that stupid 'abstinence-only' crap which doesn't accomplish a damn thing.

And condoms. Condoms should be fucking everywhere, and everyone should be using them. They should put them in cereal boxes as prizes.

Fuck yes. You win.

Oh, I've never watched all of The Big Sleep, to be honest. I have been meaning to but since noone seems to know exactly what the hell goes on in it, I get sort of put off by that. But he's a great director and you should definitely check out more of his stuff, he worked in like a million genres too. The Cary Grant movies of his are always good.

I'll maybe check him out then. I was really turned off by The Big Sleep, as a director, that was some poor work.

I understand the plot a little better now that i've seen it twice, but Jesus, the movie doesn't even really get started til about an hour and 15 minutes in

I'm sorry but that is incredibly narrow-minded. Everyone should have a right to be who they feel they are inside. If they feel they are a different sex inside then they should be able to make the transition. It is basic human freedom.

It's quite unnatural. I don't see how it relates to human freedom.

I don't have much opinion on it, but I don't think it relates to gay and lesbian issues, or civil rights issues. I think it's a totally different thing.

Damn straight.

Anybody who thinks abstinence-only education actually works needs to look up from the script for a second and have a look at the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom