breaking bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel that way about The Wire. I know my son will enjoy it, but at 14 I feel he's a bit too young. It's not like the language is worse than anything else he's been thru in life (ie, school LOL) but it's the amount of swearing, it's non-stop. And the violence is pretty stark, especially the executions. I'm thinking 16/17. I dunno.

I just started watching The Wire these last 2 months. I tried watching my Season 1 set a year ago and couldn't get past the first 5 eps. I found the ebonics and technical terms used by the police incomprehensible. I have to watch that show using subtitles.

Personally, I don't know if I would have appreciated it at 14. Heck, it took me years to appreciate Millennium Season 1 (after initially finding it too depressing when I was 16) which is much more frightening, but amazing. Then again, I'm only up to the end of Season 2 on The Wire.

I guess it's better to be safe with your child.

I asked my big brother to get Season 1 for my birthday. I pretty much watched all of Season 2 on TV. I love the lawyer guy who used to have a comedy sketch show with David Cross and was on "The Larry Sanders Show". I think my big brother would love it, too. In fact, I enjoy it most when I imagine how he'd react to it. Kind of a weird reason to enjoy a show

Can you imagine if one watched season 2 of BSG before season 1.

I am a little impressed that you bought into BB starting with season 2.

I think I would have found it a bit too far-fetched, that a family man would become a meth producer and know how to get along in that world.

Season one sets the premise up so good that one can buy the premise. And there is an evolution of small steps that show why and how the character makes the choices he makes.

"Breaking Bad": Exciting, funny, with a little politics thrown in

I was shocked that there's no thread on this amazing show. With "Battlestar Galactica" ended and "Mad Men"'s most recent season not being as good as this show's 2nd season, this is the best show on TV.

It's by Vince Gilligan, former X-Files writer (Season 2's "Soft Light", Season 3's "Pusher", Season 4's "Unruhe", "Paper Hearts", and "Small Potatoes", Season 5's "Bad Blood", etc). The main actor is Bryan Cranston, the dentist from Seinfeld and the dad from "Malcolm in the Middle". He's backed by many wonderful actors, including guest actors like "The Mr. Show"'s Bob Odenkirk.

It airs on AMC at 10 pm Eastern Sundays. The 3rd season premiered in March, but it's not too tough to get into it. I got into it in a very rough way and loved it enough to buy the first two seasons on DVD.

It's about a brilliant high school chemistry teacher who is paid poorly and has to work another job to make ends meet, who then finds out he has cancer. He decides to manufacture crystal methamphetamines (which are damaging and addictive drugs) to make enough money to provide for his family when he's gone.

It sounds really depressing, but I swear it's not. It balances the serious elements of life with a wonderfully unpredictable and unique story-telling approach that's both exciting and funny without being ridiculous or over-the-top like so many comedies nowadays.

Non-spoilery sample:
YouTube - Breaking Bad - bench scene.

The political insight is very slight, but there's some stuff referring to tough economic times (the costs of health care, poor work pay, etc) and race relations with Latin Americans that's quite touching.

If you get caught up on DVD, there's a mini-marathon of Season 3 to date starting on Friday, April 23 from 8pm Eastern to midnight of the first 4 episodes of Season 3, then resuming with the fifth episode on Saturday, April 24 at 12:08 am Eastern (actually early Sunday, April 25), and then we’ll all be ready for Episode 6 on Sunday, April 25, 2010.

I've been enjoying the show, although this season so far isn't holding my interest as much. It's just all so fucking bleak.

I've been enjoying the show, although this season so far isn't holding my interest as much. It's just all so fucking bleak.

I missed the 2nd episode because I was out of town and also catching up on Season 2 on DVD with my father. Good thing for the marathon.

I'm really enjoying it. It's very surprising.

I thought Jesse trying to exchange gas for drugs to that sweet teen was heart-breaking. It was a real shocker the way Walt's wife chose to deal with his persistence.

I missed the 2nd episode because I was out of town and also catching up on Season 2 on DVD with my father. Good thing for the marathon.

I'm really enjoying it. It's very surprising.

I thought Jesse trying to exchange gas for drugs to that sweet teen was heart-breaking. It was a real shocker the way Walt's wife chose to deal with his persistence.

so you are watching out of order?

I try never to do that :shrug:

I thought season 2 was damn good.

At season 3 they are where that are at, I wondered how long he could keep this his activities from his wife. All the characters choices are believable to me. It is in a bit of a bleak place now. The cartel guys are keeping it interesting

They have kind of left this where he could reconcile with his wife for economic reasons and benefit of the kids, but an estrangement would remain.

I also understand why his wife would bang her boss and tell him, that was her last ditch attempt to drive him away.

That clip above doesn't even remotely do the show a shred of justice.

And please, can we keep the political commentary out of this? The healthcare thing, maybe, but that would be impossible to not - at the very least - imply by virtue of it being a central part of his rationale for embarking on the path he does.

And finally, why would the mods need to close this thread?

Back to the program...I believe it is a bit bleak, and it's slower than the first two seasons - so far. I have a feeling things are about to blow up again fairly soon, however. Things are coming to head.

That clip above doesn't even remotely do the show a shred of justice.

And please, can we keep the political commentary out of this? The healthcare thing, maybe, but that would be impossible to not - at the very least - imply by virtue of it being a central part of his rationale for embarking on the path he does.

And finally, why would the mods need to close this thread?

Back to the program...I believe it is a bit bleak, and it's slower than the first two seasons - so far. I have a feeling things are about to blow up again fairly soon, however. Things are coming to head.

I like that clip a lot

I also like the bit where the kid on a bike, blows the guy away.

I think both are good examples of the writing and casting.

The 'close the tread' request was in a new thread that got merged into this one. So don't worry.

And I do like the political aspects of the writing in this show, I tend to like shows that deal with things like that.

Some people post about how 'hot' or attractive some actors are, I don't usually participate alot in those aspects of the discussion. I think it is more of a personable choice what any of us want to write about or respond to.

just my 2 cents.

So far I think this has been the best season. Skylar has in the past seasons made me fast forward or mute, as I found her ridiculously annoying, but this season, I think her scenes are well done and interesting. Not sure if it's the writing or the character, but I'm all for it.

I also think that Giancarlo Esposito is great.

Good stuff, good angles, I think they can keep it up. Shows like this really make me enjoy shorter seasons / better stories type shows. I think that's why I have a tough time keeping up with Fringe and regular network shows. They get drawn out, silly and weak.

^ Yep...close to one of the best hours of TV I've watched in a very long time. It's too bad Hank has to die, though. While not a huge fan of the DEA, his personal struggle has made him somewhat endearing. Maybe endearing is a bit too far, but compared to his wife he's positively likeable. :lol:

this is a great show, i started watching last season sometime.

its funny, out of all of my favorite shows, none of them are on the "major" networks. BB, Rescue Me, Southland, Southpark, Entourage....probably several more. I guess Big Bang would be one exception, other than that most everything else kinda sucks. Boston Legal was fun but its gone.

well anyway...

i caught up on the last two episodes earlier this week

i wish we could have a mesh of BB and dexter so the trinity killer could kill walt's wife

she's an absolute show killer. been one since the first episode

Wow that last ten minutes was intense!

Awesome episode tonight.

This is my favorite show on television right now.

Why bleak?

Hank will pull through, and most likely the surviving cousin will escape from the hospital.

They will think Jesse is one bad MF.

They may even think Jesse is Heisenberg.

Back
Top Bottom