Brand New Premiership Thread 06/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1stepcloser

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Another weekend, another thread.

Pretty good weekend for me anyway so far

:dancing: Villa finally win and Chavski got beaten :dancing:

Just been reading an interview with SAF, on the RED ISSUE website, he's looking back at his time at OT, talking about players who came through the ranks from kids-superstars, how hard it was to let the likes of Phil Nev, & Nicky Butt leave, because of their passion for the club, but not a single word about Becks, that disappointed me, say what you like about the fella, & the media circus that surrounds him, but when Becks was at OT, there wasn't a more commited person to the team, he worked his socks off everytime he played for UNITED, & to be completely overlooked like that is really sad. He is definetly one of THE all time great UNITED legends.

'ARROGANT'

By Ed Sunday 21st January 2007

Keano has a blast at the Match of the Day team.

The People:

Roy Keane has blasted the BBC's Match of the Day team as being "arrogant and ignorant".

The Sunderland boss was left fuming after Birmingham were given little credit for hammering Newcastle in the FA Cup last week.

He said: "Not once did someone say that actually Birmingham had played well. I think it shows how ignorant and arrogant people can be."

Didn't see the prog. myself, but if noone on the show gave any praise to BRUM, & just kept banging on about the barcodes injuries, have to agree with him.

Just been on the Beeb's predictor again, & guess what, its all change since last time, so for what its worth here's how I think the final table will look in May(again)

Team Plc Pts
Man. United 38 93
Chelsea 38 86
Liverpool 38 75
Arse 38 74
Bolton 38 60
B'Burn 38 57
Spurs 38 56
Pompey 38 55
Reading 38 53
Villa 38 51
Newcastle 38 43
'Boro 38 43
Everton 38 42
Sheff. Utd. 38 42
Fulham 38 40
City 38 38
Wigan 38 38

Charlton 38 37
West Ham 38 34
Watford 38 33

So, there you have it, exactly how the table will look on Sunday 13th May, 2007:wink:

jimmmm said:
'ARROGANT'

By Ed Sunday 21st January 2007

Keano has a blast at the Match of the Day team.

The People:

Roy Keane has blasted the BBC's Match of the Day team as being "arrogant and ignorant".

The Sunderland boss was left fuming after Birmingham were given little credit for hammering Newcastle in the FA Cup last week.

He said: "Not once did someone say that actually Birmingham had played well. I think it shows how ignorant and arrogant people can be."

Didn't see the prog. myself, but if noone on the show gave any praise to BRUM, & just kept banging on about the barcodes injuries, have to agree with him.

i'll probably agree with that assessment, even though birmingham are my most hated team they still played quite well. Newcastle were dreadful, probably the worst i've seen a team play all season but you have to give credit where it's due, they were beaten by a better team. The MOTD team didn't really seem to acknowledge that and they did just talk about how bad newcastle were.

jimmmm said:
Just been on the Beeb's predictor again, & guess what, its all change since last time, so for what its worth here's how I think the final table will look in May(again)

Team Plc Pts
Man. United 38 93
Chelsea 38 86
Liverpool 38 75
Arse 38 74
Bolton 38 60
B'Burn 38 57
Spurs 38 56
Pompey 38 55
Reading 38 53
Villa 38 51
Newcastle 38 43
'Boro 38 43
Everton 38 42
Sheff. Utd. 38 42
Fulham 38 40
City 38 38
Wigan 38 38

Charlton 38 37
West Ham 38 34
Watford 38 33

So, there you have it, exactly how the table will look on Sunday 13th May, 2007:wink:

Let's all hope west ham get relegated once again :D

Arse 2 Utd 1, much as it pains me to say it, UNITED deserved that, when oh when are the powers that be at OT going to realise that 4-5-1 just isn't going to work, especially when you include Carrick in their, it effectively becomes 4-4-1, the kid's about as much use as a chocolate teapot!
But back to the game, & although United started brightly, & also took the lead, for me at least their attacking play seemed almost half-hearted, & they definetly made the mistake of thinking 1 goal would be enough, no matter who you are, if you invite a team like Arse to attack you, 99 times out of 100, you'll deservedly get punished, United have wasted a glorious chance to open up effectively a 3 game gap, even a draw would have meant a 7 point lead, & at this stage of the season that would have been very handy, sooner or later Chelsea ARE going to find their form, & probably go on a run of 10/11 consecutive wins, United could well rue missed chances of hanging on to leads at Newcastle, & Arse.

I think arsenal deserved to win overall. United played well until they scored then they just seemed to sit back absorb the pressure until arsenal inevitably scored. Quite a few teams have taken the lead at the Emirates only just to sit back and let arsenal drive forward and get an equaliser.

Fergie would have definitely settled for a point today and now that goal by henry could spark chelsea back in to life.

jimmmm said:
Just been reading an interview with SAF, on the RED ISSUE website, he's looking back at his time at OT, talking about players who came through the ranks from kids-superstars, how hard it was to let the likes of Phil Nev, & Nicky Butt leave, because of their passion for the club, but not a single word about Becks, that disappointed me, say what you like about the fella, & the media circus that surrounds him, but when Becks was at OT, there wasn't a more commited person to the team, he worked his socks off everytime he played for UNITED, & to be completely overlooked like that is really sad. He is definetly one of THE all time great UNITED legends.

i know, it's lame. i read that a while back too.

no word of van nistelrooy either.

when SAF gets his grudge on, he never lets go it seems. poor old man...

Arsenal won't be champs this year, it's between man united and chelsea really. However i would like them to finish above chelsea, my dislike for that team knows no end.

Dunno if anybody cares about Fulham here, but I saw this article on Deadspin (a really snarky US-based sports blog, but they do write about the EPL frequently). Hilarious quote:

I asked him why Fulham was so sweet on American players--McBride, Bocanegra, and now Dempsey. "They're cheap, they're available and they speak the language," explained the eminence gris of British soccer writers. Here he paused a beat. "Unlike, say, Beckham."

Mcbride is a class player, i've always said he is and im surprised no bigger teams tried to sign him when he was younger. Best player at heading a ball in the Prem if you ask me.

I've been away for a while, but I'm back for good now, so I'll be forcing my opinions on you all soon enough.

SQUAD DEPTH TO BE TESTED

By Ed Friday 2nd February 2007

Every player will have his chance

Ferguson has said to expect more starts from Richardson, Fletcher and O'Pie as the season draws to a close.

"The idea is to make sure all the squad have some football behind them," he said. "We did it over the Christmas period, and the lads are starting to get some miles on the clock - which is important. When it comes to the busy period in March and April these players will play their part for us, no question about that."

I was beginning to be quietly confident of United winning the title this season 'til I read that, fletcher, richardson, & o'shea, Jeez chelsea, liverpool, & arse must be absolutely SH&^%$G themselves!

jimmmm said:
SQUAD DEPTH TO BE TESTED

By Ed Friday 2nd February 2007

Every player will have his chance

Ferguson has said to expect more starts from Richardson, Fletcher and O'Pie as the season draws to a close.

"The idea is to make sure all the squad have some football behind them," he said. "We did it over the Christmas period, and the lads are starting to get some miles on the clock - which is important. When it comes to the busy period in March and April these players will play their part for us, no question about that."

I was beginning to be quietly confident of United winning the title this season 'til I read that, fletcher, richardson, & o'shea, Jeez chelsea, liverpool, & arse must be absolutely SH&^%$G themselves!

Darren Fletcher is not good enough to play for united if you ask me. And i must say, if fergie's willing to let those players get their chances soon then you have to wonder which way some of uniteds more tricky away games might go if they're in the side. I think the title race is still open, despite chelsea slipping up over xmas.

I also think that united have an excellent chance of winning the champions league. With teams like bayern, lyon and real madrid in dissarray and with barca still having no samuel eto'o in the side then i think united could really do it this year. They've been lucky with no long term injuries to key players but SAF won't moan. It really could be their year. Ironically i see their main threat to the Champions league being barcelona, who i mentioned earlier, despite eto'o being injured they have still been playing well and are top of La Liga with ronaldinho in inspired form of late. And eto'o will return before the season is over. I'd love a barca - man united final :drool:

Hope you're right about that 1Step, did you go to Villa yesterday?
listening to McInally's updates on skysports news yesterday, Carew & Taylor seemed to be settling in well, both recieved high praise from the big fella.

Nah i didn't go down yesterday, im back at uni now but come easter i'll be at each game once again. Haven't seen the highlights cos i was out yesterday night and 24 is on tonight so i can't even watch MOTD 2! Anyway, glad we won, the new signings have made a huge difference. Carew looks like the big striker we've missed since Dion Dublin in his heyday and the pace of Young and Agbonlahor is really stretching defences. Ever since Luke Moore got seriously injured we've missed that pace (we didn't lose a game while he was in the team at the start of the season). And now with Young and Carew we seem to have found the right balance. Carew still isn't 100% fit but hopefully he will be soon.

McInally was going ballistic towards the end when West Ham were throwing the kitchen sink at us, was quite amusing. Although i must admit i don't really like it when Sky have reporters on matches that are linked to that club because they are inevitable going to be slightly biased. McInally is a legend at Villa and he always seems to report on our games, just like Tony Cottee does with West Ham and Phil Thompson does with Liverpool.

Best part of the day yesterday - Upson getting injured after 28 minutes. Seeing players get injured is never nice but you just have to laugh at that one :lol:

2 straight 4-0 wins, great stuff!

the last few minutes at spurs was hilarious with O'shea in goal after edwin went off injured cos utd had already made all 3 subs.:lol:

utds goal dif is now 43.:ohmy: and according to the commentator, this is the most points that man utd have ever had in the epl at this stage of the season!

anyone have any good feelings about england playing this week? i dont.:wink:

The lunatics really are taking over the asylum!

US pair agree Liverpool takeover

Gillett and Hicks will be co-chairmen of Liverpool
American tycoons George Gillett and Tom Hicks have reached an agreement to take over Liverpool.

the rockin edge said:

anyone have any good feelings about england playing this week? i dont.:wink:

Since last years lamentable effort in Germany, & with steve "interesting" mclaren in charge I'm finding it almost impossible to have any interest in the england team whatsoever.

The disaster that was the World Cup I think was down to Sven. As far as McLaren goes, I think he needs to be given a bit longer, at least till after the Israel game. That is the crunch game for England in these qualifiers.

Nothing to do with my club bias, but I honestly think Big Sam would have been the right man. But, I do think McLaren needs to be given more time.

Keep the faith, it will all be worth it by 2010 when England bring home the trophy with Sam as the boss and Steve Coppull as his number two!

I would rather have Big Sam than steve mclaren. I'm hoping for Mclarens immediate resignation after the Spain game. I don't think he should be given anymore time.

Time and time again it's clear that Gerrard and Lampard cannot play in the same side and to keep them happy he has to fit both of them into his first team plans every single time. Lampard has never played on the left of midfield and nor is he suited to. He's not famous for hugging the touchlines, his ability to go past players or having any tremendous pace andwhat does mclaren do? Put's him onto the left wing. What a joke. Unsurprisingly overlooking Gareth Barry for this role despite him arguably being the best left sided english player this season.

And then just to take the piss even more, the spot of left back, a position Barry is equally adept in, such is his versatility, goes to right footed 30 year old phil neville who has spent the majority of this season at centre midfield or right back! What on earth is there to gain out of a friendly from playing him at left back??

Heaven knows what the FA were smoking the day they decided to overlook the likes of Allardyce, Big Phil Scolari, Guus Hiddink, Martin O'Neill ect..

With you on that 1Step, how Phil Nev has won so many caps has always been a mystery to me(big club syndrome?)Gerrard & Lampard CANNOT perform to the top of their undoubted ability together, so whoever is in charge should have realised that by now. Also, just watching skysports news, mclaren, explaining Fosters inclusion, "Paul Robinson has absolutely nothing to worry about, he IS Englands no.1, " well why not let him think he's got something to worry about, let him think, unless he performs to the very best of his ability, he will lose his place, or are all footballers so mentally fragile mac doesn't want to risk poor paulie waulie having a breakdown, for F%^KS sake they're grown men treat them as such!

On the subject of Barry, obviously you've seen more of him than I, 1Step, but listening to any reports from Villa matches on the skysports results service, most analysts agree he is having a great season, also Joey Barton, in the squad but no start, Kevin Nolan, surely this is exactly the sort of match to try these players, instead we go for the tried, & failed Gerr-Lamp, midfield pairing, such lack of imagination is what has pissed me off about England since I've been interested in football.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom