Brand New Premiership Thread 06/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:
do you guys want sven back now?

i think you should pick a foreigner again. everytime you pick an english coach it seems to turn out as a disaster.

I don't want Sven back (Theo Walcott at the world cup anyone?).

However he had an excellent record in competetive matches and knew how to get us through the qualifying rounds of tournaments. I personally would like a foreign coach. There's not one english coach who is up to the job right now.

i'd be happy with any one of Hiddink, Scolari, Mourinho or Wenger as a future England manager. I think Mourinho would make a great england manager but there's a couple of reasons why this won't happen.

1. He's said already that he will retire in 10 years time and that he wants to coach portugal in that time which is fair enough. I can't see him making time for england.

2. The FA would never have the balls to approach him. Say what you like about him but he's a great manager and makes game changing substitutions quite often which is something that Sven was particularly bad at. He didn't want Ballack or Sheva at chelsea and it wasn't his fault that Chelsea didn't sign a defender in January to ease their problems. I hate Chelsea but i'm not blinkered enough to recognise the fact that he's a bloody good manager.

Uff, there's no fun without the WORLDCHAMPIONS here:wink:
long time never been here, pretty busy with what I'm doing. (Probably you won't see me back for another while...........)

so the english want to fire McClaren, too..............hmmmmmmmm, must be the "swede's malediction"! :wink:

A VERY VERY BIG HELLO TO THE ROCKING EDGE AND 1STEPCLOSER!!!:wave: :wave: :wave:
OLD FRIENDS NEVER GET FORGOTTEN!
don't worry about your national team, buddies, you will make it! ;)
as much as we will beat Scotland tomorrow, 3-0:wink: :wink:

England if you want cheering up just look across the water at how crap Ireland are doing:sad:

babyman said:
Uff, there's no fun without the WORLDCHAMPIONS here:wink:
long time never been here, pretty busy with what I'm doing. (Probably you won't see me back for another while...........)

so the english want to fire McClaren, too..............hmmmmmmmm, must be the "swede's malediction"! :wink:

A VERY VERY BIG HELLO TO THE ROCKING EDGE AND 1STEPCLOSER!!!:wave: :wave: :wave:
OLD FRIENDS NEVER GET FORGOTTEN!
don't worry about your national team, buddies, you will make it! ;)
as much as we will beat Scotland tomorrow, 3-0:wink: :wink:

babyman! it's been a while my friend. i wish england would take a leaf out of Italys book you know. Italy and England are probably equal in terms of player talent but the difference is Italy play as a TEAM. England are just a team of individuals, they remind me of Real Madrids "galactico's". They have good players but can't seem to string 3 passes together.

Say hello to Recoba for me :wink:

1stepcloser said:

babyman! it's been a while my friend. i wish england would take a leaf out of Italys book you know. Italy and England are probably equal in terms of player talent but the difference is Italy play as a TEAM. England are just a team of individuals, they remind me of Real Madrids "galactico's". They have good players but can't seem to string 3 passes together.

Say hello to Recoba for me :wink:

Can I also kick his ass? :wink: :wink:

Well, we did a fine worldchampionship, were good, concentrated, had luck, and everything you need to win. But by now, I don't know if we would have the same talent to win back such a competition. England, and history speaks, always had (and has) many super incredible talents who became champions. You talk of the individuals, but many teams win thanks to the individuals. I think, a few english players who should make the difference, must still take confidence with the will to win, and perhaps there are a few who should be maybe a bit more humble, and ready to sacrifice themselves for the team, and not for their selfish glory. By now, I see english players like sheeps without a shepherd, that's why they go astray. Probably, you haven't still found someone who teaches them football spirit marked by discipline and sacrifice. We had Lippi, and the only one who would open the road to a win for England is only Sir Alex Ferguson. He's the man you need right now, with all the respect to McClaren.

Some young fella called totti has been spouting some rubbish about English football;

TOTTI SPITS HIS DUMMY

By Ed Monday 2nd April 2007

He doesn't like England or its football
Roma's Francesco Totti has said he expects to be man marked by United and that he isn't very fond of English football preferring the corrupt and negative Italian version.
"I am not worried about what Ferguson thinks of me as - as (Roma coach Luciano) Spalletti says - he will see for himself. I hope I will make him remember my name."
Totti told Sky that he was expecting to be man-marked by United.
"So they are going to put me in a cage?"
"The opponents always make a cage for me.
"When I grow up I won't be a footballer but I will go and work at the zoo with all the cages people have made for me."
And as if at 30 years old he hasn't already grown up he went on:
He added: "I don't like the way English football is even if some great players play there.
"I don't like English football and I don't like England either because of the weather."
Former rent boy Christian Panucci also had some unkind words for Ronaldo before Wednesday's game.
Panucci said: "Ronaldo's class is unquestionable. But I believe he abuses his dribbling talents and always exaggerates his falls. He knows we will not fall for his tricks."

I was particularly amused by his, "when I grow up" comment, how old do italians have to be, before they're considered grown up.
Hope United ram his childish words right down his throat.

European Super League on the way, read on ,

EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE

By Ed Monday 2nd April 2007

Talks have already taken place

From the Guardian

Secret talks have taken place between Europe's leading football clubs and Brussels politicians that could lead to a breakaway super league. Sources involved in the discussions, held at the PSV Eindhoven-Arsenal Champions League match in February, state that a breakaway is the "ultimate threat" that could be exercised if Uefa and Fifa "run wild" in their governance of the game.

The talks were prompted by clubs' concerns over the findings of the Independent European Sport Review, a report commissioned by the sports minister, Richard Caborn, during the UK's presidency of the European Union last year. The review set in train a process that will come to an end when the commissioner Jan Figel, who attended the Eindhoven meeting, delivers a white paper for sport to the European Commission later this year.

Among the politicians present were Toine Manders, a Dutch MEP who is a long-standing advocate of free-market principles for football, and Ivo Belet, the Belgian MEP who drafted the European parliament's input into the white paper. Speaking on the BBC Parliament channel's Record Europe, Belet said: "We could have in five or 10 years a European Union super league; combined with collective selling of television rights that would be the perfect solution."

Manders explained on the same programme: "If we have a real internal market for the economic activities of professional football clubs, at the end you can have an EU league. If you have an internal market, that is feasible."

It is not known exactly what form such a league would take. However, the Guardian revealed 12 months ago a G14 strategy document drawing up a mechanism for a breakaway. That "Vision Europe" document envisaged "a detachment of the top professional level from all remaining levels underneath, if this was agreed upon by the clubs".

Those clubs would, according to that blueprint, then seek to run their own competition. This could effectively mean that the top clubs in each country would no longer compete in their home leagues.

For now there remains a strong commitment among the clubs to the Champions League and to domestic football. However, they are seeking to retain control over their own commercial activities and feel the politicians who joined them in Eindhoven have been sympathetic to their position.

This final issue will be analysed by Figel and the EC in their white-paper deliberations. Although in England the Premiership rights are sold collectively already, in many countries where clubs sell TV rights individually there is strong opposition. Milan earn more than £85m a year from their television deal while Real Madrid's seven-year deal with Mediapro, coming on stream from 2008-9, is worth about £110m each year. Moves to force them to share that cash could precipitate the exercise of their "ultimate threat" of a breakaway.

That last sentence is the key, whatever authority, wether its the fa, uefa, or fifa, tries to get clubs to share that kind of money, which will be on offer to all potential "super league" clubs, the clubs are just gonna tell them to shove their leagues, cups, & champs league, & form their own with the G14 clubs, & others, such as maybe Celtic, & Rangers from Scotland, Chelsea, maybe Newcastle, from England, & other continental clubs capable of attracting large crowds, sponsors etc. its gonna happen!

i can't see that super league ever happening. It's been talked about for a few years now and nothing has ever come to fruition. If talks ever got serious i think the very idea would face a huge backlash in this country.

Totti might be in the mood for fighting talk but i don't really blame him. Roma are playing well under their new coach and i don't expect this game to be a walk for United at all. And Totti himself, although he has never really cut it at international level, is still a bloody good player. To me he's like the Italian version of Scholes. Take your eye off him for one second and he will punish you. I still expect United to win although the loss of Vidic could be key as he's been excellent this year.

And i agree with Totti's comment on the weather, i went to Villa vs Liverpool a couple of weeks ago and it was f*cking cold! I'm going to the everton game tonight and i'm gonna be wearing at least 4 layers of clothing. The fact that it's april now isn't gonna fool me :wink:

Last edited:
1stepcloser said:
i can't see that super league ever happening. It's been talked about for a few years now and nothing has ever come to fruition. If talks ever got serious i think the very idea would face a huge backlash in this country.

1Step, do you seriously think if United, arse, l'pool, chelski, or any of the other G14 clubs, & other major clubs around Europe were offered £90-120 million a year for TV rights alone they would give a damn about any kind of backlash, maybe now were beginning to see the reason why gl*&^r tookover United, I said it from the start, sole TV rights, the TV companies WILL own the major clubs around Europe, & the fa, uefa, & fifa will be powerless to stop a breakaway, how soon I don't know but it will happen, don't get me wrong I don't want to see it, but it's coming.

jimmmm said:
"We could have in five or 10 years a European Union super league; combined with collective selling of television rights that would be the perfect solution."

How sad that the perfect solution when it comes to football first of all concerns the financial issues. Never mind the opinions of the fans and the complete disregard for the footballing traditions of the nations involved. Afterall, it's not the fans that are important anymore is it? Greedy bastards.

A perfect solution? Oh yeah, of course. Travelling a few thousand miles on a regular basis for away games is ideal aint it?

European Super League.... Good, let it happen. Then we should all boycott attending and watching these matches on TV, so these greedy clubs can slowly shrivel and die, a fate that they would certainly deserve.

What exactly is the purpose of the G14 anyway? What is their goal? To kill football?

Woah there fella, I've already stated I don't want to see it, as I'm sure most United fans, & fans of all major clubs around Europe don't want it, but since when has the fans viewpoint ever counted.
The main reason the G14 was set up, imo, to set up such a league, the clubs have been meeting regularly over the years, & I for 1 don't believe for 1 minute this league has not been discussed, its not exactly the sort of thing that could be set up overnight, but, & again this is just my opinion, all the details could well be already sorted out, & the clubs are just waiting for the right moment to breakaway, why else are so many billionaires looking at buying clubs, by the very definition BILLIONAIRES, are very astute, & successful businessmen, at present not 1 single club on the planet makes enough money to interest a billionaire, purely for financial gain, & I do not believe they're doing it for anything other than financial gain, whether that be now, or in the near future, when the clubs have the right to negotiate their own deals with TV companies for matches at their own grounds.

Kill football, as we've known it, yes I think it would, not only domestic football, but international football as well, because obviously any player with the breakaway league would be banned from fifa tournaments, domestic leagues would lose their "big" clubs, it would/will be a mess, but people would tune in to watch, the suits, & TV companies know this, & thats why IMO IT WILL HAPPEN!

Wasn't having a pop at yourself there, don't worry! Just that EU fella monsieur Belet who proposed the super league would be a Perfect Solution wound me up.

And although I suggested not supporting this super league by attending matches and watching it on TV, I know millions will, and it will no doubt be a success.

Whats all this about then?

http://home.sky sports.com/articlefp.aspx?hlid=457343&channel=plato

Never heard of this fella. When I click on the news reports I'm directed to a very strange looking site that seems to be run by Sony. This man a fictional player? Never heard of the clubs he has played for, and with them transfer fees you would have thought he'd be well known.

This some bizzare publicity campaign by Sony?

Remember to take the space out of sky and sports.

jimmmm said:

The real Blues, thought Birmingham played yesterday.:wink:

.....:wink: ...how did they fair? See we did our usual everything but win trick:mad: .......as for all that european super league stuff, suits me, get rid of the top 4 for all i care, ruining the game with their billionairs and bottomless money bags...it'll be as corrupt as the italian league soon (if it isnt already)....:ohmy:

im really annoyed at scholes after wednesday, losing his head and getting sent off.:down:

having said that i think utd have a good chance, 2nd leg at home is very important.

chelsea not looking so great, and now they've gotta go away to spain for leg 2.:drool:

Totally agree with you there GP, he not only let the team down, but the fans and himself, Scholesy is a legend at United, but at a time in the season when injuries are really affecting the possible progress of the team, to get yourself sent off twice in a matter of a few weeks, is at best unprofessional, & at worst totally F***ING stupid!

Perhaps because united don't have a real ball winner in midfield, scholes feels the need to do some of that kind of dirty work himself. Which is quite silly as everyone knows he can't tackle for beans. He's one of the finest footballers of his generation and i can't understand why for the last 12 years or so that i've seen him play he feels the need to do a job that he's simply not good at. He let his side down in 1999 and if united go out next week (which with their depleted defence is about 50/50 i'd say) then many fingers will be pointed at him.

norwich 2 utd 0
wolves 1 utd 0
palace 0 utd 0
utd 0 s'land 0
pompey 2 utd 0
pompey 1 utd 0
pompey 2 utd 1

the consistant in all those results, utd played "weakened" teams, when the FUCK will they learn, play weakened teams in prem. matches you'll get your fucking arse kicked, who in GODS name starts a prem. match at this time in the season with chelsea breathing down your necks with fucking fletcher & richardson in the starting line up, time & again they proved beyond all shadow of doubt they haven't got what it takes at this level, take nothing away from pompey, but if giggs, & solskjaer had started the match the utd would have had far more attacking options, & IMO the outcome would have been totally different, & don't anyone dare say he probably had 1 eye on tues. night, fuck tues. night, the league is every teams bread & butter, Europe is just a bonus, take what comes in that competition, but don't weaken your team in the domestic comps. for it, especially at a ground where we've had our arses kicked more than once in recent seasons, if chelsea win the league this season, this weekend, more than any other will have been the turning point for them, they've been patiently waiting for a slip, a sign of weakness & fergie's handed them 1 on a fucking silver platter! Its only my opinion, but I'll put a tidy wager that chelsea start banging the goals in with far more frequency now.

If any good can come from that shambles it surely must be that even fergie will see just how FUCKING totally useless richardson, & fletcher are, & the pair of useless wankers will have played for UNITED for the last time, but I'm not holding my breath on that 1!

Well at least the title race is a bit more interesting for neutrals! (although i'm technically not a neutral as i really don't want chelsea to win it again and united play better football)

I still think united will win the title. Chelsea have a more difficult run in.

Man United run-in:
Sheffield United (H)
Middlesbrough (H)
Everton (A)
Man City (A)
Chelsea (A)
West Ham (H)

Chelsea's run-in:
West Ham (A)
Newcastle (A)
Bolton (H)
Arsenal (A)
Man United (H)
Everton (H)

The next 2 games for united are very winnable and chelsea's next 2 are both potential banana skins.

ferdinand probably should have looked up first before he... um... scored on his own keeper.

Zoomerang96 said:
ferdinand probably should have looked up first before he... um... scored on his own keeper.

Ya think? :wink: Perhaps lack of communication? I dunno...:mad:

We had our chances. Portsmouth was clearly prepared at the start to be quick on the ball whereas Man Utd. seemed a bit slow.

The first goal...it starts with Fletcher. Yeah he got his foot on the ball, but personally, I think he was out of position on the throw-in causing his deflection to go backwards right? Then, Richardson...GET IT OUT!! And finally, Ferdinand...slow on the challenge. Goal. The rest is playing behind and the breaks didn't go our way.

Give credit to James though too...

Anyone somewhat upset with the offsides call on Rooney?

Got Philk? said:

Give credit to James though too...

Anyone somewhat upset with the offsides call on Rooney?

Fair point on James, he did make some good saves, the offsides, in some matches they go for you in others they don't, as I said yesterday IMO, the main reason for the defeat is fielding a weakened, unbalanced side, in previous seasons its backfired on Utd. but the overall outcome probably hasn't been as bad, because the chances of winning the title haven't been as great as this season, I don't know, maybe its just me over reacting to a defeat, but I can't help thinking we've handed chelsea exactly what they've been waiting for,a chance, even with the far superior goal diff. at present, its now back in chelsea's hands as much as it is Utd's, if for example they beat Utd, at the bridge, & win all their other matches, & Utd win all but the chelsea game its down to goal diff. at present Utd are favourites, but its not beyond the realms of possibility for chelsea to bang 3 or 4 in, in a couple of those matches, plus a repeat of last seasons scoreline at the bridge & all of a sudden goal diff. is very tight.
I think fergie dropped a major clanger in trusting in fletcher & richardson to do a job they aren't, & have never been up to.
1 more thing, again its only my opinion but I have a really strong feeling a certain scouse member of the OT playing staff could be making a shock departure in the summer, & also a certain yorkshireman, although in his case I have a great amount of sympathy for him, as I don't think he's been given a fair crack of the whip since coming to OT, hope I'm wrong on both counts, but, certainly with the scouser there's something in Rooney's body language that says to me all is not right!

1stepcloser said:
Well at least the title race is a bit more interesting for neutrals! (although i'm technically not a neutral as i really don't want chelsea to win it again and united play better football)

I still think united will win the title. Chelsea have a more difficult run in.

Man United run-in:
Sheffield United (H)
Middlesbrough (H)
Everton (A)
Man City (A)
Chelsea (A)
West Ham (H)

Chelsea's run-in:
West Ham (A)
Newcastle (A)
Bolton (H)
Arsenal (A)
Man United (H)
Everton (H)

The next 2 games for united are very winnable and chelsea's next 2 are both potential banana skins.

Hope you're right 1Step, & yes chelsea's next couple of matches do look tricky, plus the arse game, but I just feel Utd handed them enough of a psychological edge yesterday to do enough in all their remaining league games to gain maximum points between now & the end of the season, I think the arse game really is their toughest challenge remaining, how ironic would that be if that nice man arsene wengers team took 3pts off them, & gave Utd a big boost in the run-in.

i think Wigan could be in real trouble if they lose to villa tomorrow. They took a demoralising defeat yesterday to bolton and with the way we played at blackburn yesterday they could be in for a real last few games dogfight.

A shame really as i quite like wigan, they're not afraid to try and play nice attacking football (although signing emile heskey in the summer did some damage towards their idea of playing nice football). Watford are already down. My other 2 preferred choices are west ham and sheff united. I think charlton may well stay up now. I like alan pardew and he was treated so badly at west ham. 4 games is all he got under magnusson. Pretty shameful i think.

Back
Top Bottom