Brand New Premiership Thread 06/07 - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #211
Refugee

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Yeah... Rooney. No wonder with so many brilliant players as Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard and Terry, team England is on top of the world right now? what's the secret...do tell!

Old 04-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #212
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:53 AM
Sarcasm on my part didn't ring through eh?

hmm...interesting point. Which is why I hate all the talk about best player. You can't win with just a "best player" on a TEAM!

I do think all this talk has gone to Ronaldo's head a bit.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #213
Refugee

Sarcasm doesn't come across well over msg boards I guess (or maybe it's the German in me with no sense of humour and all )

Seriously though, the trouble with England is the lack of cooperation between the players as well as the Coach obviously. Lampard for instance does so much better in Chelsea because of all the support in midfield that eventually leads to him scoring, where as that's what's missing in the NT. Ronaldo could be a great player if he drops his school-boy antics and grows up. I remember I actually used to respect his talent in 2004 Euros. (same goes for the mighty Rooney!)
Old 04-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #214
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yes. Here's what I know about Chelsea. if they didn't have Drogba, it would be a totally different season. Talk about the epidomy of a team player.

Because of that, I am forced to hate the man. kidding.

Ronaldo has gotten (somewhat) better with the whole diving thing. I just get annoyed at times with his antics. It's the facial expressions that do it to me. They just say, "I'm Ronaldo...I can't believe you didn't give me that call."

Rooney is just a hothead through and through. Between him and Rio Ferdinand, there is enough testosterone on the field for many!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #215
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:53 PM
Chelsea were excellent against west ham tonight. That winning mentality is really in them. Tevez equalised and they hit back 31 seconds later! Once again Lampard was excellent for chelsea but you can bet your bottom dollar he will inevitably be anonymous the next time he pulls on the england shirt.

At least they are making the title chase interesting. I really don't want them to win the Champions League though. That would be my worst nightmare.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #216
Refugee

I wonder if Chelsea fans or the critics are starting to warm up to Ballack having saved their asses in 2 different major competitions. I'm guessing not, god forbid if the golden English boy Lampard doesn't get all the attention/praise. Honestly, Lampard's true ability is shown in the national team. If it wasn't for all the others at Chelsea he wouldn't be a "star" today.

Out of the England squad... Gerrard is the most impressive, IMHO.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #217
Rock n' Roll Doggie

One of the reasons i dislike Chelsea so much is that their style of football has totally nullified the likes of Ballack. i used to love watching him play football for leverkusen, bayern and germany. Now he finds it really difficult to get into matches with their formation and we have to resort to watching lampard have endless pot-shots from 20 yards.

I think Mourinho always knew though that Ballack and Sheva's experience in Europe would be priceless.

Gerrard is probably englands best and most consistent player. Rooney hasn't played well in the last couple of years but he has so much natural talent it won't be long until he finds his feet again in the national team.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:05 PM   #218
Refugee

Exactly.... him and Lampard are playing the same position. I'm surprised they don't step on each other's toes. He's not as free on the pitch as he was in Bayern, but I'm glad he moved on to a different league. Mourinho sure knows how to make it work.

Gotta love him...

Old 04-18-2007, 11:16 PM   #219
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Speaking of playing the same position. This is older news, but did you watch Arsenal this past weekend? I realize Arsenal won, but there was a point where Baptista and someone...I think it might have been Adebayor...had a great run. Only to fight each other off the ball and pretty much ruin another great chance to score.

Now that's team football!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #220
Refugee

No, I didn't get a chance to watch that game, (might have been a Bundesliga conflict) but Arsenal have been going downhill after the winter break. Competition could be a reason, although they used to work quite well as a team as early as last year's CL.

Don't know that much about Chelsea either but that could also be the reason Sheva has been faltering there... with all the balls going to Drogba. Obviously, whenever I get a chance to watch the Premier League it's either Chelsea or Arsenal (for obvious reasons), but I gotta say Premier League is not as exciting as the other leagues. Every year the same 4 teams end up on top, with others miles behind.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:35 PM   #221
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

That's the thing! Arsenal's passing was brilliant all game! I'm just not sure about that Baptista yet.

So I've got this Premiership thing down pretty well for me. What is better football? Eredivisie? Spainish Premiera? Italian Serie? Futbol de Mexico?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:42 PM   #222
Refugee

I'm partial to Bundesliga but that's a very very biased decision. But let's say comparing to Bundesliga... right now a couple of points separate the top 5, with a team who've never won the title on top. Can't really compare the Leagues, 'cause that's a personal choice but other leagues like Spain or Italy (albeit a few yrs ago) seem more tactical, to me anyway. I'm guessing Premier League is popular in the states because of great marketing, like Bundesliga was back in the 70s.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:48 AM   #223
Refugee

Local Time: 02:53 PM
Since the first bundesliga title was won back in '63, 11 different teams have won the german c'ship, in the same time 11 different teams have won the English title, but in that time bayern have claimed 19 titles(not much of a 1 horse race there then, hey!) also since the inception of Euro. club football, a total of 13 different clubs from England have won a major Euro. trophy, 4 of whom have reigned as Champions of Europe, Liverpool, Man. Utd., Notts. Forest, & Villa, for a total of 10 wins, more than any other nation, Spain has 11 wins, but only 2 teams have won the Euro. cup. In all English clubs have brought back 28 major Euro trophies, all this despite a 5 year ban in the '80's, & most English clubs not even bothering to particpate in the comps. in the first couple of years, don't judge the strength of any league on just the last couple of seasons, the English league is 1 of the 4 best leagues in Europe undoubtedly, along with the bundes. serie A, & La Liga, but based on European success not just this season, but throughout, only La Liga, & Serie A come close, & as we've seen this season the English clubs haven't done toooooo badly so far!

The main reason the Prem. is so popular around the world is the pace, skill, & excitement, displyed on a weekly basis!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #224
Refugee

Sure, the same skill present in the all England squad..... whatever you say.

Next thing you know all the Brazilians want to start for Man U because they wanna learn all those precious skills. Come on, you can't deny marketing had nothing to do with it!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #225
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Probably the best leagues to watch i think are the Premiership and La Liga in Spain.

Stay away from Ligue 1 in France, it has the least goals scored of all the major leagues in europe. i think last weekend or the one before only 8 goals were scored

Serie A is good to watch but only on highlights programmes. Live matches can get really dull due to the defensive nature of Italian football.

I like the Bundesliga but it gets very little coverage here in england, not sure about the rest of the world. I like watching it when i get the chance but i simply don't the get the chance often enough.

The Prem and La Liga are the best to watch for good attacking football and if anyone wants to disagree just look at Man United 7-1 thumping of Roma or this absolute beauty from Leo Messi last night -

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance...-getafe-180407