Brand New Premiership Thread 06/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
West Ham should have had a points deduction. Very dodgy that Bury and AFC Wimbledon, teams with far less money than West Ham, can get thrown out of the cup while West Ham are given just a big fine.

Same should have applied to Leeds as well regarding the fielding of loan players earlier in the season.

1stepcloser said:
If i was a united fan i wouldn't be too dissapointed. Out of europe but with the league all but won and in the FA Cup final they have still had the kind of season supporters of other clubs can only dream about.

this is the kind of thinking i don't understand.

apparently SAF is more interested in winning the premier title than anything else this season. i'm pretty sure he's said so himself not that long ago.

to me, winning the champions league title has to be the most important thing any top-flight club should look to win.

nevertheless, i look forward to the fa cup. can't wait to see how that plays out.

Well done united, they deserved the title this year. They played better football than Chelsea so i think the best team won.

Bit of a shame for us neutrals as i wanted chelsea to win today because it would have given wednesdays match some spice but as it is now it's a dead rubber so i won't bother watching it. I've got an essay to write anyway so it's probably a blessing in disguise :wink:

Went to Villa vs sheff united yesterday, wonderful atmosphere throughout and three excellent goals scored too. Can't wait for the summer now, Martin O'neill will have lots of money to spend and the team can train at the new 13m state of the art training ground that's just been built :drool:

Will be interesting to see how sunderland do next year considering most of the team are unknowns and dwight yorke now plays in a holding midfield role. very strange. but intruiging too.

So we have Keane, Bruce, Hughes........and Coppell...all ex-united players now managers in the Premier League...must be something they have in the water.

intedomine said:
All the Bandwagoners will be happy

Yeah well Match Of The Day last night followed some of London based man united supporters watching the arsenal chelsea game yesterday as they watched it in a bar. They seemed pretty happy about it all. It still pissed me off though. There's about a million teams in london to choose from. Why don't they support their local one? i don't get it :|

1stepcloser said:

Yeah well Match Of The Day last night followed some of London based man united supporters watching the arsenal chelsea game yesterday as they watched it in a bar. They seemed pretty happy about it all. It still pissed me off though. There's about a million teams in london to choose from. Why don't they support their local one? i don't get it :|

Indeed, why not support Chelsea or Arsenal, or even Charlton, Fulham or Crystal Palace with their beautiful traditonal stadia?

If I was a Pom, my priority would be to support my most local League club, be it Yeovil or Colchester or Bolton.

Most frustrating is the disgraceful Roman Abramovich using his money to make Chelski a top team. If I had that money, I'd wanna steer Yeovil or Halifax to a European title. That'd be cool

intedomine said:

Indeed, why not support Chelsea or Arsenal, or even Charlton, Fulham or Crystal Palace with their beautiful traditonal stadia?

If I was a Pom, my priority would be to support my most local League club, be it Yeovil or Colchester or Bolton.

Most frustrating is the disgraceful Roman Abramovich using his money to make Chelski a top team. If I had that money, I'd wanna steer Yeovil or Halifax to a European title. That'd be cool

Yeah i just can't imagine supporting a team hundreds of miles away from where i live and never going to matches to experience the sounds, sights, smells and atmosphere of a game.

I suppose Rupert Murdoch is partly to blame as Sky is always shoving the likes of arsenal, man united, liverpool and chelsea in your face whenever you turn the TV on. No wonder a lot of smaller clubs are going out of business and the local game is dying on its arse.

1stepcloser said:

Oh dear 1Step, I'm really surprised at that comment coming from you, the Cockney Reds have been following United for decades, the reason United have such worldwide appeal, is first & foremost the Munich disaster, & the way the club rebuilt itself thereafter, & the style of play United have always tried to play, they are THE glamour club, not only in England but worldwide, madrid, barce, milan, & munich have global appeal now since football's profile has been raised so much in the last decade or so, but Uniteds worldwide appeal has been there for decades, & has obviously been enhanced since SAF started bringing so much success to the club, I seem to remember doug ellis being interviewed a few years ago bragging about how Villa had over 1.5 mill. fans in the UK, obviously not all LOCAL,any team in the Prem. La Liga, Serie A & The Bund, will have support throughout their own nations & beyond, its just that UNITED have soooooo many more, it really is a boring old chestnut of a subject, that should be laid to rest, or at least left to people who know sweet FA about the game, always have to laugh when I hear that "Glory Hunter" Shite, funny thing is, during the '70's &'80's I never once heard such a pile of shite levelled at liverpool fans, as they were winning titles, & Euro trophy's for fun, & don't for 1 minute try & make out they were all scousers who supported them, its the nature of the beast, kids see top teams on the box, usually a youngsters first introduction to the game, & soon they develop an allegiance to a team, nowadays, usually, United, arse, divvypool, & chelski, in England, & all the other usual suspects abroad.

Well let me make myself a bit more clear then. I know football is a global brand now so i don't have any problems with people from oversea's supporting the big teams or people who live in small towns and villages in england whos local team play in the Birds Eye Crispy pancakes league to 300 people every week or whatever. I just can't get my head around people living in a town or city with a well established team or even a number of teams (London for example) and yet supporting somebody else from a completely different city who are conveniently challenging for major honours every single year. Maybe i'm a bit old fashioned but it does baffle me genuinely.

I've never heard Doug Ellis say that although it wouldn't surprise me. He's come out with a lot of crap over the years. You'd think if we had a fanbase that large we'd be able to fill our stadium every week!

By the way i'm not having a go at united (i've never heard of the 'cockney reds'). It's just slightly worrying that the same four teams always finish in the champions league spots in the england as opposed to other european leagues where the likes of Seville, Devortivo, Werder Bremen ect will happily break the mould. And part of this is to do with fans just not bothering with their local sides and just liking what they see on tv (the same 4 big teams playing each other in cup finals) and following it.

It's just a nature of a big club, more coverage (esp. globally), more money + well known players hence supporters everywhere. Actually, come to think of it, if I was still in Germany, I would've grown out of Bayern support and gone for a more local club. (Not to say that all big club supporters are just kids of course!)

^Grown out of supporting a team, WTF is that all about? How on earth do you grow out of supporting a team? Jesus, I've heard some shite when people start banging on about United but that is right at the top of the pile!

1Step, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I was just disappointed that someone of your undoubted interest & knowledge of the game decided to latch onto that particularly boring subject. To the vast majority of United fans, United are FAR more than just a football club, after my Wife & Kids, there's nothing I care more for than United, & thats coming from a fan who won't attend another match ( at least unitl the yank has F***ED OFF)

jimmmm said:
To the vast majority of United fans, United are FAR more than just a football club, after my Wife & Kids, there's nothing I care more for than United, & thats coming from a fan who won't attend another match ( at least unitl the yank has F***ED OFF)

And for Yeovil fans, Yeovil FC are FAR more than just a football club.

In the 21st Century, the vast majority of Man Utd fans are based outside of the land of Pom.

We must have about 500,000 folk down under who claim to support Man Utd. Probably 90% of them epitomise the term "bandwagoning."

This is by no means an anti-Man Utd jibe (it could apply to Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, West Ham) , but the reality is that if you were to compare the percentage of genuine, passionate fans for Yeovil with the percentage of fans who are equally as passionate for Man Utd, Yeovil would probably have a more pasisonate fan base.

It's unfortunate in this globalised world that passion is measured by quantity rather than quality.

Most Man Utd fans are not proper fans. They are unable to be, because they are based in foreign countries where EPL coverage is not a top priority.

Man Utd is the most "bandwagonised" club in the world, a "dishonour" previously held by the Chicago Bulls.

jimmmm said:
thats coming from a fan who won't attend another match ( at least unitl the yank has F***ED OFF)

To change the topic slightly, this is another thing that confuses me. You love the club dearly by all accounts and yet refuse to go to matches simply because of who is on the board. The greatest thing about being a football fan is going to matches and supporting the players on the pitch. I hated Doug Ellis and his unbelievable lack of ambition but still tried to go to villa park as often as i could because it's a wonderful experience and the players need lifting.

The Glazers have always backed the manager and with the news that Fergie will be buying 3 more players this summer means they are backing him once again. And we know that a club of uniteds stature won't simply be buying cheap players, they will want the very best which means a significant financial outlay. They may not be dream chairmen (i'm no economist so i don't know the financial details of the takeover) and they may not be manchester born and bred but at least they back the manager and that's the main thing you want from a chairman.

I can't see why a fair few fans are boycotting the club they love and support just because of the personell in the board room who are quite clearly not just going to go away after making such a huge investment. I'm not having a go but i'd just like to know the reasons why.

^ So the glazers are backing fergie, hey, since they took control over 30 players have left OT, many promising youngsters, who undoubtedly will go on to become good/great players, the incoming? the highest profile, carrick, £18mill, outgoing Ruud £8mill, & £10 mill for mikel, seems to cancel out the carrick fee, as I said last year, its all well & good having sounds coming out of OT were gonna buy this & that & the other, Hargreaves springs to mind, looks good in the press just after purchasing carrick, to make out they were also going after hargreaves, but Utd knew full well, that particular deal wasn't going to happen then, straight after bayern had sold ballack, but hey if its in the press most people will believe it, & secondly its ok fergie saying he wants 3 players but just wait & see how hard it will be getting said targets for one reason or another, also, the glazers are good for OT, why then, when most if not all Prem. clubs are either freezing ticket prices, & in some cases even lowering them, are United raising prices for the third consecutive season, thirdly & to UNITED fans most importantly, WE didn't, & don't want people who know nothing about the clubs history USING it as a cash cow, I've said before 1Step, do not think for 1 minute billionaires from across the globe are buying up Prem. clubs just for the prestige of owning them, billionaires by definition are very clever, astute businessmen, WHEN, not if TV rights are negotiable for each club, if you think there's a gulf between the big clubs now, just wait to see the chasm that will open up when it happens, & happen it will.
If fans of Villa, Arse, & any other club are happy to see their club taken over good for you, but a hell of a lot of longstanding United fans weren't, & still aren't happy with the glazers presence, & never will be, do you seriously think I enjoy not going to OT anymore, but as a matter of PRINCIPAL, & I believe every human being should have principals, I will not hand over 1 single penny of my hard earned cash to that family!

Oh, nearly forgot, when they tookover in May of that year, by september of the same year, over 25% of staff at OT had been given their marching orders also, funny how that didn't make headline news, wonder if the billionaires have friends in the press.

Just been looking at the RED ISSUE website, also, & that reminded me, 3 players coming in? I'll personally guarantee UNITED won't make 3 major signings in the summer, or IF they do, at least 1 high profile departure WILL occur from OT, how the hell can any business with debts, now over £700 mill BTW, spend so much money in the transfer market! I suppose the main difference with the UNITEDtakeover, to all the rest, is the fact UNITED'S buyers put the club into so much debt, would YOU feel happy if Villa were £700mill.+ in debt I very much doubt it, you see its not all about winning trophy's, supporting a club, as you so obviously know, PRINCIPALS! & IF they are still at the club say 5 years from now, I doubt for 1 minute I'll be posting any comments on this or any other football related forum, or even bothering to read about, or watch anything about UNITED, there are other things in life, funny/sad thing about the weekend, I really didn't celebrate the title win anything like I remember celebrating the '77 Cup final win over the bindippers, Uniteds first trophy since I started supporting them!

Just 1 more thing 1Step, this, by M.U.S.T puts it all into perspective:

'The interest payment is one thing but what about the actual £660million? It is difficult to see how these sums can be reached without significant increases in ticket prices, which, as we always suspected, means the fans will effectively be paying for someone to borrow money to own their club.

Now can you see why the more CLUED up UNITED fans are, to say the least PISSED OFF!

M.U.S.T . BTW, is the MANCHESTER UNITED SUPPORTERS TRUST, a large group of match, & non match going UNITED fans, who are still raising funds in the knowledge that 1 day when glazers business plan fails WE will be able to buy a large chunk of UNITED, & put the club in the hands of people who actually care about it, yes I DO donate, on a regular basis, as do tens of thousands around the globe!

:up: good answer

It wasn't long after i'd written that post actually that i thought about the rise in ticket prices. That's quite shameful really isn't it. The worlds richest club significantly increasing ticket prices. And the thing is they know that they'll still always sell out each match even if they do increase the prices.

Although don't forget it wasn't the Glazers who decided to sell Van Nistelrooy, it was Fergie himself because he apparently disrupted team harmony. And that sale hasn't exactly backfired this season has it?!

I suppose the difference between the Glazers at united and Lerner at villa is that united were already rich enough as it was and didn't need a new board as things were going swimmingly anyway. a case of if it's not broke, don't fix it. Whereas villa are a fairly big club that were going nowhere under Ellis and really did need the investment. Lerner has been a dream chairman so far. He's invested in a 13m state of the art training ground, sorted a money spinning kit deal with Nike for next season, has had proposals accepted to enlarge the stadium to 52,000 seats, made significant funds available for martin o'neill in the summer and handed out 40,000 free scarves to fans last weekend. So not all billionaires are bad eggs. But i can see where you're coming from.

1stepcloser said:
:up: good answer

So not all billionaires are bad eggs.

Absolutely not, but when 1 comes along, puts a perfectly well run, profitable club £650mill + into debt, then transfers that debt to the club, & continually raises admission prices, & parking fees around the stadium, etc, he is not going to be welcome, ever!

Re; Ruud, glazer didn't sell him, but if that sale hadn't gone through, + the unexpected windfall for mikel, I seriously doubt the money would have been available for carrick, & the 3 targets for this summer, lets wait & see, I'm not saying UNITED won't make 3 signings, but I very much doubt, if they do, they'll be high profile, big money purchases, unless there's at least 1 big name departure, + many other lesser names leaving, unfortunatley I can see SMITHY going, which IMO would be a terrible move, but, again IMO I don't think the lad is getting a fair crack of the whip.

Whilst he works hard for the team, i've never ever rated alan smith and was absolutely gobsmacked when united spent that money on him. He was linked with Villa in the jan transfer window and i was praying desperately that we didn't get him.

Leeds - 172 (38)
Man United - 60 (7)

For a striker that record is abysmal although i can see why he endears himself to the fans with his workrate.

And so to this weekend. HOPEFULLY West Ham will get relegated but it's looking unlikely. United will probably beat them but i can't see Wigan beating Sheff united unfortunatly. Unless they conspired to save both themselves. i.e. finding out at half time that west ham are 3-0 down and then sheff united letting wigan get a last minute penalty or something. Let's all pray that west ham go down. Cheats never prosper.

jimmmm said:
Big Sam, didn't see that 1 coming, be interesting to see if Bolton can maintain their form now, should think Stuart Pearce will be sifting through sits. vac. columns soon.

Hate to say I told you so, but, I told you so, Citeh have sacked Psycho!

Well i'm not surprised he's been sacked after their strikers have barely managed 5 goals between them, their best player is on the verge of leaving and their best defender is going to leave on a free too.

I wonder if Jewell will go there?

Back
Top Bottom