Boy show? Girl show? Do you watch both?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
So I heard a conversation on the radio today trying to define boy shows vs girl shows. And they also discussed who watches each.

What do you think is a girl or boy show? And do you watch because you want to or because a significant other is making you watch?

They talked about Heroes and labelled it a boy show. Whereas Grey's Anatomy was a girl show. Their consensus was that the gender of the audience was predominantly boy and girl respectively. It was interesting to hear how they characterized what makes up each show.

I watch both.

I am certain that Gilmore Girls qualifies as a girls show.

You can smell the vagina a mile off when Grey's is on, but I still watch it. Drama FTW?

So is that like "chick flick"? I can't stand that term, I think a movie is a movie and appeals to individuals or not. I will see any and all types of movies other than gruesome horror or extremely violent movies. I saw Shooter a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

I don't watch Heroes only because I never started watching it and would be totally lost now-same for 24. And I have enough shows to keep up with already :wink:

Here's all the shows I like (but don't necessarily watch) and what I'd guess:

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (both)
CSI: Miami (boys)
CSI: New York (boys)
MXC (boys)
Survivor (girls)
The Bachelor (girls)
Supernanny (girls)
Law & Order: SVU (girls)
Law & Order: CI (both)
Real World (girls)
Real World/Road Rules Challenge (both)
Run's House (boys)
Animal Cops/Animal Precinct (girls)
Untold Stories of the E.R (both)
Shark (both)
What Not To Wear (girls)

The shows on my weekly watch list are:
Simpsons
Family Guy
Amazing Race
Lost
South Park
Survivor

I'd guess the regular programs would all be considered "boy" shows and the reality shows as "both" with a leaning to "girl".

There's other shows I'll watch on occasion, but would not consider myself a dedicated viewer. And then sports will fill remaining TV time.

I think the easiest way to tell which gender your show is targeted to is by the commercials.

If you see beer and truck commercials, its a "boy" show, if you see tampon commercials, its a "girl" show.

One guy has argued that guys could care less if there girlfriend watched their shows while in the meantime, girls need to have their boyfriends watch the same shows as themselves or at least sit through an episode or two.

trevster2k said:
So I heard a conversation on the radio today trying to define boy shows vs girl shows. And they also discussed who watches each.

What do you think is a girl or boy show? And do you watch because you want to or because a significant other is making you watch?

They talked about Heroes and labelled it a boy show. Whereas Grey's Anatomy was a girl show. Their consensus was that the gender of the audience was predominantly boy and girl respectively. It was interesting to hear how they characterized what makes up each show.

I watch both.

I am certain that Gilmore Girls qualifies as a girls show.

Was that on CBC radio? I heard the same discussion on Monday. I watch and enjoy both, too.

trevster2k said:
One guy has argued that guys could care less if there girlfriend watched their shows while in the meantime, girls need to have their boyfriends watch the same shows as themselves or at least sit through an episode or two.

I find this to be true. Although, I gave up on my hubby a while ago. If he doesn't wanna watch Survivor with me, I'm not gonna make him. But I did get him hooked on Sex and The City. Go figure.

Yes, this was on CBC on Q. Sex and the City was an exception, men learned stuff from that show, it was educational.:wink:

trevster2k said:

For me that's showing interest in what I am interested in even if you don't like the show. You don't like it and might even hate it but you will make a "sacrifice" anyway and watch it. It can be sort of a bonding experience too, and you can talk about the show, etc. Of course that should be mutual and work both ways, I would think males would want that same interest too. I like to watch sports, I guess most guys don't care if women watch sports with them.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I guess most guys don't care if women watch sports with them.
It goes further than that, many guys don't want women to watch sports with them.

Thats a generalization, from my perspective its about not wanting to watch with someone unfamiliar with sports who's gonna sit and ask a lot of questions. I had a male roommate years ago who was worse than any woman I've met to watch sports with, it was a painful experience trying to watch a football game with him in the room.
If a woman understands the sport and want to watch, I have no problem, but I don't wanna be watching the AFC championship game and get bombarded with questions like "Why did he do that?" "How come that happened?" "Whats that yellow flag for?" and the like. And its downright embarassing when a grown man asks those questions.

Well I know guys who aren't into sports, and I don't care if they know nothing about them :shrug:. I don't know about all the technical aspects but I can still appreciate the game and enjoy watching-I know the most about baseball. And you don't have to know the rulebook inside and out to be able to rag on A Fraud :D

MrsSpringsteen said:

For me that's showing interest in what I am interested in even if you don't like the show. You don't like it and might even hate it but you will make a "sacrifice" anyway and watch it. It can be sort of a bonding experience too, and you can talk about the show, etc. Of course that should be mutual and work both ways, I would think males would want that same interest too. I like to watch sports, I guess most guys don't care if women watch sports with them.

I don't understand that reasoning. IMO, it's good and healthy to have separate interests - why would you sit there and pretend to enjoy something you don't for the sake of your SO? And why would you expect your SO to do it for you? :huh:

Hewson said:
It goes further than that, many guys don't want women to watch sports with them.

Thats a generalization, from my perspective its about not wanting to watch with someone unfamiliar with sports who's gonna sit and ask a lot of questions. I had a male roommate years ago who was worse than any woman I've met to watch sports with, it was a painful experience trying to watch a football game with him in the room.
If a woman understands the sport and want to watch, I have no problem, but I don't wanna be watching the AFC championship game and get bombarded with questions like "Why did he do that?" "How come that happened?" "Whats that yellow flag for?" and the like. And its downright embarassing when a grown man asks those questions.

My ex said that I "ruined" baseball for him, when I got into it and became more enthusiastic and knowledgeable than him. :rolleyes:

I rarely watch TV. When I do, the shows I watch tend to be unisex.

MrsSpringsteen said:

:up:

I see it less as a need for validation and more for a desire to share something they enjoy in their lives.

VintagePunk said:
Wow. Why do some females have the need for their choices in television to be validated by the men in their lives? :huh:
Everyone needs to follow the Hewson household TV formula to be happy:

Number of people living in household +1 = number of televisons required in household to keep the peace.

Yes I know people need to have separate interests. I really can't believe the leaps in logic :huh: I don't need my choices validated by anyone, I usually watch all my shows alone anyway.

I just happen to think that once in a while you should do things that you really aren't all that interested in as part of a relationship, it's part of the give and take of a relationship. That doesn't mean I think it should be suffocating with no separate interests.

Back
Top Bottom