Boxing day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I never heard of it until I saw it on this forum and now thanks to my British mother-in-law I know what it is! She said it started when the servants had to work Christmas day to wait on the rich folks, so the day after they were given the day off and allowed to box up the good Christmas leftovers from the rich people's parties to take to their families. I had no idea, how interesting. Well happy Boxing day to anyone who celebrates it!

yeowwwww boxing day! an english tradition if ever there was one, of which there are many i'll grant you. is nothing more than an extra day away from the nose to the grindstone but appreciated all the same.

So now you guys get 2 days off if you don't work for the rich 'gentry' folk?;)

I am so lame, I thought it had to do with boxing up decorations or taking stuff back or even boxing the sport :reject: My mother in law is from Wales near the English town of Chester.

We have Boxing Day in Canada. It's a holiday (along with Christmas Day) and essentially it's like Black Friday in the US - cheap shopping for people who don't mind crowds and fighting other women for that last pair of size 7.5 shoes.

We have boxing day (Uk & Ireland).
A lot of shops open on boxing day here (for a few hours). Usually it marks the start of the sales.

Boxing Day in Australia (those on the east coast), means the yacht race from Sydney to Hobart. Around about 100 yachts participate and it takes between 3 to 7 days to complete.

A friend of mine did it a few years ago and she lost about 6 kilograms (about 14 pounds) in 5 days from being so seasick. It is a very tough yacht race.

Boxing Day = really really cheaps cds and dvds

I haven't decided if I am going to join the crowd and do the crazy shopping thing. I'll have to check the flyers (which are all in todays paper)

anitram said:
We have Boxing Day in Canada. It's a holiday (along with Christmas Day) and essentially it's like Black Friday in the US - cheap shopping for people who don't mind crowds and fighting other women for that last pair of size 7.5 shoes.

Same here except it's called 2nd Christmas day. :|

Historically boxing day was the day the empty christmas boxes where put outside on the street for the garbage bin men to pick up. Thats my understanding.

Its a holiday here but not something that is actually celebrated though. Usually just a day of sleep and recovery from the previous days piggery.

anitram said:

Martina and I should have a shoe exchange. :hmm:

No, but it seems like 95% of women are a 7.5. The little spitfires fighting over the pumps while those of us with huge paws shop in peace. :wink:

Boxing Day
In England a long time ago…

Servants were required to work on Christmas. They were responsible for making the holiday run smoothly for wealthy landowners. They were allowed to take leave on December 26th and visit their families. The employers gave each servant a box containing gifts and bonuses. In addition, around the 800s' churches opened their alms boxes (boxes where people place monetary donations) and distributed the contents to poor. It is also St Stephens day (St Stephens at the Point) All shops/stores, aside from the odd garage/gas station, used to be closed on Boxing Day, so it was like Christmas Day part two. (Without the presents, visiting friends & family with plenty of good food and drink and loads of football/soccer)

Last edited:
Eliv8 said:
Boxing Day
In England a long time ago…

Servants were required to work on Christmas. They were responsible for making the holiday run smoothly for wealthy landowners. They were allowed to take leave on December 26th and visit their families. The employers gave each servant a box containing gifts and bonuses. In addition, around the 800s' churches opened their alms boxes (boxes where people place monetary donations) and distributed the contents to poor. It is also St Stephens day (St Stephens at the Point) All shops/stores, aside from the odd garage/gas station, used to be closed on Boxing Day, so it was like Christmas Day part two. (Without the presents, visiting friends & family with plenty of good food and drink and loads of football/soccer)

Thanks, that's just about what my husband's mum told me! Being an old lady from England she had heard about it. I had not until I read it on the forum, then I asked her.

BTW, does anyone take down and put away their tree and decorations today? Where I live, it's considered bad luck to take them down before New Year's Day or Jan. 2 (which leads many to not take stuff down till Feb. or March. :shifty: )

We leave ours up. Sometimes, they start to die and need to come down, but our friends own the biggest Christmas tree farm in the world and usually let us cut one fresh so it lives longer. It keeps the house smelling nice so my mom waits as long as possible.

U2Kitten said:

BTW, does anyone take down and put away their tree and decorations today? Where I live, it's considered bad luck to take them down before New Year's Day or Jan. 2 (which leads many to not take stuff down till Feb. or March. :shifty: )

In many Eastern European Catholic countries, it is tradition to leave your tree up until the feast of the Three Kings on January 6th. That's when we take ours down.

Back
Top Bottom