Bowie fans: Where the hell do I start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Bowie has sooooo many albums. I want some, but I have no clue where to start. I don't feel like importing Changesbowie, I could just borrow that from my English teacher again. Besides, I've been told that a few of the songs on there are all chopped up. So where should I start? The Man Who Sold the World? Low? Heroes? Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust? Help!!!!

I've got none of his albums, but I think I will start with Ziggy Stardust soon.
Btw, does any of you like "Ashes to Ashes" as much as me? I love the synthie-sounds at the end of the song!

------------------
Take the money and run

ashes to ashes.. I remember seeing it on video as a teen. Back when videos were quite odd things to see from artists, not to mention this one in particular. Kinda creepy and sad.

love the "I've never done good things..bad things.. never done much of anything at all" lines the most. they resonate with me, (unfortunately).

oh i dunno which album to get but which one has the song "the laughing gnome" on it?...cus i love that wee tune
biggrin.gif
so id suggest that album
biggrin.gif

The very first record I ever bought was "Space Oddity"...Wildeyed Boy From Free Cloud, Letter To Hermoine ahhhhhhh what beauty.
You are in for such a ride UL. He is a brilliant artist imho. I played Alladinsane to death when i got it..Drive in Saturday, Lady of the Grinning Soul...
China Girl..oh baby just you shut your mouth...**cass faints**
We were discussing him the other day, he holidays in Oz a bit. This guy met him on a construction site in Sydney, said Bowie was more fascinated by their work than swanning about like a star, very down to earth man, even though he has an ethereal quality. Old drinking buddy of Eno's I think too, somewhere here there is a Bowie thread, I included his funny quote about Eno in the 70's. Those were the days my friend.....enjoy his work.

I worked in a record store for a long time back in the day, and whenever someone was 'discovering' an artist, namely an artist with a ton of records under their belts, I always recommended they get a compilation of some sort just to get their feet wet.

The most comprehensive David Bowie collection is the Sound and Vision box set which chronicled his whole career up until the early 90's. It's got all the greats like Andy Warhole, Dream Genie, Let's Dance, China Girl, and so on and so forth. Only problem, I think it's out of print - and even when it was out it did cost a pretty penny.

So what you should do is try to find a compilation cd or 2 disc set that has Bowie songs - that should get you started, and then you can go from there.

Hope I kinda helped!

The first Bowie album I bought was "Changesbowie" and thought it was the best sampler of his career (1969-1985). My only qualms with that record are the version of "Fame", which was the remixed edit heard in the film "Pretty Woman", and the exclusion of the hit songs, "This is Not America" and "Under Pressure".
After I bought that album I went with his newer stuff. "Black Tie, White Nose", which I found in the used rack and never seem to listen to. "Earthling" which is personally one of my favorite Bowie albums. It features "Little Wonder", "I'm Afraid of Americans", and "Dead Man Walking". "Hours..." is his most recent album, and is much more subdued than other albums release in the 1990's.
I've heard that "Heros" is a good album, and "Young Americans" has some good songs.

Back
Top Bottom