BOWIE...ch-ch-ch-changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I heard this story on the radio yesterday and thought I'd like to share it here. I have mentioned before I was a David Bowie fan, serious Bowie fan, before I heard U2. So this incident would have just been the icing on my particular fantasy cake.

David Bowie owns a house at Whale Beach, Sydney, Australia. A friend once told me he met Bowie while he was working on a building site down there. Bowie was genuinely interested in the paving and rock landscaping they were doing at the time. Cool:up:

David Bowie is currently renovating his house there and on the weekend the sound of the builders was getting to him. He wandered down to the local hotel and had a jam with some of the lucky local yokels. A private Bowie performance for those lucky souls who happened to be there. !WOW! :faint:
"...these are the things, these are the things, these are the things my dreams are made of........." eh musiclovers?

and ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...
my middle son has had long hair since he was about 8 years old. He is in his senior year of high school now and is thinking about joining the military:faint:( thus my tears in the topic heading) and wants to get his hair cut this week.
I am so full of mixed feelings at the moment. One friend said"DON"T let him join up!!" That has made me feel even worse. How can I stop him? He is an adult now and makes his own decisions. I am so afraid for him..and me.

"No one cries , like a mother cries , for peace on earth..."

I never in my wildest dreams ever imagined this happening.

So anyway, I want to try and get a photograph of him with long hair, before it is all gone. Little brother took this pic yesterday afternoon(I have been promising a more recent pic of me..yesterday, very recent) It doesn't really flatter either of us. He has the most beautiful blue eyes, that sparkle when he smiles. He looks so dark in this one, but it is Ok of me. I'm not whistling, just giving orders to baby bro....:)

I love my sons so much, the youngest one played the most fluid, sensitive rendition of More Than Words as I was making dinner last night. I don't want to lose any of them.

I, I wish I could swim... like dophins, dolphins can swim
just for one day...for ever and ever

Attachments

• raa25-5-03.jpg
    raa25-5-03.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 61
Got to keep searching and searching
Oh, what will I be believing and who will connect me with love?
Wonder who, wonder who, wonder when
Have you sought fortune, evasive and shy?
Drink to the men who protect you and I
Drink, drink, drain your glass, raise your glass high

Thank you each for your regard . It certainly is a quandary, one I don't think I will ever reconcile. He's got himself in the mindset that the military has a peace-keeping role and he will never have to take a life. He hasn't been accepted yet...maybe they won't want him.
He is the one who accidently was given the same name as BB King.( I still find that fact so groovy..all these years later).
I am so proud of the good-hearted, perceptive men they have grown into and I know growth and change is inevitable, but the military, of all things.....

I'm back here woohooing about radiohead being on the radio next week, but I still feel so confused about all this. A soldier, a combat engineer. I don't like it.

a night of bad dreams, I'm worried about the boy.
As I lay awake I remembered a song I learned from my junior high school music teacher. She and I became friends, I loaned her my records to tape, she allowed me to copy lyrics and chords from her music book. I remember shakily playing this song for my family, my bro-in-law said it brought tears to his eyes. It was churning thru my mind last night. It is from the American Civil War

The cruel war is raging and Johnny has to fight
I want to be with him, both morning and night
I want to be with him, it grieves my heart so
Won't you let me go with you?
No my love no

Your waist is too slender, your fingers are too small
Your face is too tender, to face the cannon ball
Your face is too tender, it grieves my heart so
No, my love no

I'll tie back my hair, men's clothing I'll put on
I'll pass as your comrade, as we march along
I'll pass as your comreade, no one will ever know
No my love no

Oh Johnny, oh Johnny I think you are unkind
I love you far better than all mankind
I love you far better , than words can e're express
Yes my love yes.

it must be teribbly hard to let your child go his own way.. but I think at some point parents have to accept thta children go their own ways, even if they don't approve of it
ask my mom.. she had/ has troubles with the way I went... but it was very important that we didn't split over it. I always know she'll back me up and loves me
providing this security is all a parent can do at a certain point in a childs life

:hug:

I am so sorry, cass.

What else can I say...

My best wishes and sympathy go out to you and your son.

:hug:

thanks for your kind words a-mole and hip hop.
I have already seen one son on his way, I accept that part of it( and actaully I have plans when the baby is grown..BMW900 roadtrip around Oz, a grey Ulysses wanderer) It's the military thing I am having trouble with.His dream was to be a professional musician, but he knows that is just a dream.

a-mole...the man in your signature looks like my husband..well before his beard went grey. It really does. Sweet.:)

**cass sits here admiring the man in the beanie**

It is not just a dream to be a professional musician, but it takes a lot of power, everyday struggle, confidence, unhappiness, asslicking and financial insecurity. There are some positive sides, though ;)

His dad is a professional muso. So he well and truly knows about the financial insecurity bit.
Indulge me...today is the day. He has a hairdresser's appointment for 6 pm. I don't think I'll go along. I think I'd start crying and appear foolish...more foolish. She is going to plait it and cut it off in one piece so I can keep it. I have locks of all my sons golden baby hair. I have his older brother's dreadlocks..and now RAA's ponytail. I embrace change...but it does make me sad while it happens.

my blue-eyed boy....such a nice young man

:wave:

Attachments

• raawinter1-6-03z.jpg
    raawinter1-6-03z.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 18
Here while I'm at it.... a story,a soccer story.

All my sons play soccer, and LOVE it. Weekend before last we were told to go to the wrong field for the senior men's game, so we were late getting there. The ref told them, 3 minutes to get on the field or it would be declared a forfeit. They ran on, pulling on their boots and shin pads. Then the ref noticed RAA's necklaces. He usually puts them in the car, but had no time. He dropped them next to the goal post and then came home without them. I thought maybe it was an omen, he won't be wearing them in the army. I decided to drive back to the field during the week... and they were still there, lying in the grass. I'm glad he got them back. I gave him the wooden beads, they do have sentimental value.
Our team the Bears are getting done this year. We were called the "cellar dwellers" in the local newspaper. We are on the bottom of the ladder. Our goalie got wiped out at Saturday's game..a knee to the face. He spurted blood everywhere, staggered off the field( I think he has concussion) and had to go to hospital. The other team still went in hard on the very young boy that took his place. It was rough.

Not as rough maybe as on the dance floor with me. The woman I took along to see pennyblack with me on Friday night, put her hip out whilst dancing to "steal my kisses". She is now on crutches....woops.

PS: I know this probably all belongs in dear diary, but I am out of time.

PSS: David Bowie performed at the Whale Beach Surf Lifesaving Club, not the pub, as I was first told.

well, no laughing this time.
My dancing friend who is on crutches is the mother of my youngest son's best friend. He was tackled during a soccer game two weekends ago and broke his collarbone.. I saw the father of the family outside the radiologists today and asked who he was waiting for, wife or son? He was there by himself. His leg has swollen up and they think he has a blood clot somewhere, could be life-threatening.
Just awful...3 of them in pain...not good.
I never take good health for granted.

PS: our goalie is OK, a few stitches, no concussion.

lucky last...me glorious me...not

one last pic of me and my bambino. What I find funny about this one( apart from my fat head) is Gustovox, lurking, always lurking.
He loves having his photo taken and when he doesn't get invited to officailly be in the shot he is often seen in the background. he is so smart i think he knows exactly what he is doing. We have lots of photos with him in the background.
:heart: my dogs
:heart: my children
:down: my fat ***...working on it :dance:

Attachments

• raawinter1-6-03a.jpg
    raawinter1-6-03a.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 14
one more quick pic..and story

It's done, it looks great. She is a good hairdresser, very funky.

At soccer on Saturday some fo his school friends came along to watch the game. I heard the girls gasp when he said he was cutting his hair and then heard him joke..."my soccer power is in my hair":)
we'll see eh?

maybe it was. The hairdresser commented that she can usually just snip a pony tail off. She said she nearly needed a chainsaw for this one. She worked a/h's and only charged $15 and sent him home with an almost full tub of gel. I want to buy her a gift...hmmm. I know , I should give her the U2 best of... video I have spare..she really likes good music.

Anyway...my keepsake

Attachments

• raawinter3-6-03.jpg
    raawinter3-6-03.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom