Boston, here I come!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I'm going to Boston in October. Any sight-seeing ideas? I'm going to the Freedom Trail. Where else should I go? Museums? Old churches?

Doozer61 said:
Walking the Freedom Trail is great. We also took the train to Salem to learn about the witches. :D

:up:

The Freedom Trail was awesome!

And don't forget "the world's most unforgettable taxi ride!" :yikes: :lol:

I've never been on the Freedom Trail, as it's not something residents typically do, but here are some recommendations:

Museum of Fine Arts and lunch/dinner at El Pelon in the Fens (google it), swing by Fenway before or after for a tour (good luck getting tickets in October though...)

Legal's is a good call.

Sam Adam's Tour

If you have kids, the Children's Museum and Science Museum are pretty nifty

If you're interested in area activities, Sturbridge Village is an 1830s "outdoor museum" an hour or so down the highway

If you want fancy shopping, the Prudential Center and Copley Mall are downtown and attached by a walkway. Also in the area is Newbery St. Also in the area are old churches to tour, but I've never done that either so I can't give you names.

What's the world's most unforgetable taxi ride?

I just came back from Boston. I'll post some pics in my journal in the next few days. I really loved the city - very walkable if you enjoy that sort of thing. I'd also really recommend getting out to Cape Cod if you've got the time. I imagine it's stunning in the fall.

Things I did - the Freedom Trail (a lot of the stuff is free, like climbing up the Bunker Hill monument...although I got dizzy), walked around Boston Common and the public garden, had a great time walking around Beacon Hill too. My hotel was right around Newbury/Dartmouth so I checked those shops out - very fun even if you're not buying. I also went out to Cambridge for a day and walked around Harvard and MIT and liked that a lot.

If the weather cooperates (not likely in October), a whale watch excursion can be a good time.

Depending on your interests, there's museums as mentioned above, the New England Aquarium, and at both the Aquarium and Museum of Science are Imax theaters.

While on the Freedom Trail you'll get to see the Old North Church, site of the lanterns for Paul Revere...there are some other very old churches. If you're interested in that, the one to put atop your list to see would be the Trinity Church in the Copley Square area (corner of Clarendon and Boylston Streets, in the shadow of the Hancock tower).

Plenty of restaurant options. People have mentioned Legal Seafoods, they are good, a little pricey. There's plenty of other good seafood options and as mentioned a plethora of Italian places in the North End. Depending on what type of food you like I can make some specific recommendations.

There is also Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, which is one of the more popular tourist spots, lots of shopping and eating to do there.

Are you gonna be strictly in the city, or have a car and look to explore other areas?

I spent a week in Boston. Absolutely magical city.....go to Fenway, Boston Common, Freedom Trail.....just BE THERE, doesnt matter what you do, you'll love it.

Hewson said:
Depending on what type of food you like I can make some specific recommendations.

There is also Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, which is one of the more popular tourist spots, lots of shopping and eating to do there.

Are you gonna be strictly in the city, or have a car and look to explore other areas?

I love Middle Eastern food, also Italian. I haven't talked to my travel agent so I don't know where I'll be.

DaveC said:

That's a great idea. Much better than spending money to hang out with Bostonians. :huh:

Not sure what your beef is. I had a great time and the people were great (and I've seen about 30 of the states....was really pleasantly surprised re: Boston).

Dave just has bad memories of Tedy Bruschi making Donovan McNabb blow chunks of Chunky Soup all over the field in the Super Bowl 3 yrs ago.

I've never been to Boston but if you are in Boston on October 16th it might be worth checking out the Hynes Convention Center. Bono is scheduled to speak at the annual Mortgage Bankers Convention at 8:30 am.

How do I know? I work for a bank in the mortgage division and periodically receive information from the MBA about upcoming seminars.

Boston is a very cool town. Great walking town too. I've walked from Fenway to the North end, stopping at bars on the way - good time. And the funniest goddamn people - every now and then just stop and listen to the people, it's great.

So he's never been there I presume, maybe I'm wrong. If so his judgments have to do with sports teams?

I've never been to Canada but I refrain from making any judgments unless and until I go there.

Whatever :shrug:

Hewson said:
Dave just has bad memories of Tedy Bruschi making Donovan McNabb blow chunks of Chunky Soup all over the field in the Super Bowl 3 yrs ago.

:up:

verte, definitely hit up the North End for Italian food. For Middle Eastern, try Shwarma King in Coolidge Corner (Brookline, a Boston suburb just down the C line).

Back
Top Bottom