Boston, here I come!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
southpaw_gil said:
I've never been to Boston but if you are in Boston on October 16th it might be worth checking out the Hynes Convention Center. Bono is scheduled to speak at the annual Mortgage Bankers Convention at 8:30 am.

How do I know? I work for a bank in the mortgage division and periodically receive information from the MBA about upcoming seminars.

OMG OMG that's during my october break i'll be home for it!!! So......how do I get in, or what door do I camp out at at 7am, and which hotel do we think he's staying in - fairmont? ritz?

southpaw_gil said:
I've never been to Boston but if you are in Boston on October 16th it might be worth checking out the Hynes Convention Center. Bono is scheduled to speak at the annual Mortgage Bankers Convention at 8:30 am.

How do I know? I work for a bank in the mortgage division and periodically receive information from the MBA about upcoming seminars.

Is his new crusade to save the world from evil mortgage lenders?

randhail said:

Is his new crusade to save the world from evil mortgage lenders?
He's just got some more tips to give out after his appearance a couple years ago where he advised them to dole out as many sub-prime loans as possible, cause "what could go wrong"?

southpaw_gil said:

Uh hello!!! Details please! **runs to put in for the day off**

Boston is a great city. And when the weather works, the fall is a beautiful time. Be sure to hit Newbury street and the public gardens. Great spot to people watch.

Varitek said:

:up:

verte, definitely hit up the North End for Italian food. For Middle Eastern, try Shwarma King in Coolidge Corner (Brookline, a Boston suburb just down the C line).

OK, sure will!

southpaw_gil said:

Oh, my goodness.........yes!

verte76 said:

OK, sure will!

Just an addendum then - north end is nice, range of prices (I like La Famiglia Georgio or something like that, but that's cause I have a fridge handy for the massive amounts of leftovers their 3-serving dishes give me). Shwarma King is more 5-10 buck range, good lunch spot or cheaper, semi-fast-food dinner spot. I am sure there are fancier middle eastern spots that I haven't been to - I tend to do Indian in Boston (or Cambridge) and Middle Eastern in Philly (where I go to school).

it's a little cheesy, but the DUCK tours are a great way to get a general introduction to the layout of the city and spend some time in the Charles itself. i'd give yourself at least a day to wander Cambridge as it's one of the best places to walk i can think of -- you'll wander into one amazing little bookstore/coffe shop/cafe/art store after another if you just follow your instincts.

also, i had dinner in the South End last time i was there and it was my first time in that section of the city (always stayed in Cambridge whenever i visited) and that was kind of amazing. and ditto to what everyone says about the Italian food in the North End.

it's a great city. October should be good -- bring a sweater and a jacket, it wil be in the 30s and 40s at night, but the weather is usually still cool and clear and you'll get that famous New England foliage.

and if you really had a bunch of time to spend in Mass, i'd recommend taking a day and doing the 3 hour drive across route 2 over the Mohawk Trail, into the Berkshires, and ending up in Williamstown. absolutely magical that time of year, and one of the best art museums in the country happens to be hidden there, the Clark Art Institute which has the largest collection of Renoir in the US, i think.

have a great time!

Irvine511 said:
and if you really had a bunch of time to spend in Mass, i'd recommend taking a day and doing the 3 hour drive across route 2 over the Mohawk Trail, into the Berkshires, and ending up in Williamstown. absolutely magical that time of year, and one of the best art museums in the country happens to be hidden there, the Clark Art Institute which has the largest collection of Renoir in the US, i think.

have a great time!

Renoir? Great! I'm an artist, so it's right up my alley.

I've lived in (or just outside) Boston my whole life... most of the places listed above I agree with! If the Sox are in the playoffs, the whole city will be madness.

Uh, you mean "The Sox will be in the playoffs, so the whole city will be madness."

But Duck Tours aren't a bad idea. If you like art definitely check out the MFA.

southpaw_gil said:

Ooh I might have to take the day off and go!

If you're interested in art the brand new location for the Institute of Contemporary Art just opened this year on the South Boston Waterfront it's excellent.

Have a good time in my favorite place, and watch out for rioting Red Sox fans during October.

powerhour24 said:
If you're interested in art the brand new location for the Institute of Contemporary Art just opened this year on the South Boston Waterfront it's excellent.

Have a good time in my favorite place, and watch out for rioting Red Sox fans during October.

Oh, thanks for the info! I'll check it out. And I hope there are rioting Red Sox fans! We pull for the Sox in baseball. We lived in Sherborn when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom