Born Into Brothels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
Has anybody seen this great documentary?

It won the Oscar last year, and it's basically about giving cameras to childrend of prostitutes in the red light district of Calcutta, letting them photograph the world they live in, the people they live with, and so on.

Obviously, it's a heartwrenching tale in many ways. Schools won't take these kids because their parents are criminals. Their parents need them to work and earn money and join "the line" so they are reluctant to let them leave and go out in to the world, but it's also hopeful and some of their artistic achievements are really extraordinary.

I loved these quotes from it:

"I keep thinking if I could go someplace else and get an education, I wonder what I could become."

"I used to want to be a doctor. Then I wanted to become an artist. There is nothing called 'hope' in my future."

"I take pictures to show how people in this city live. People here live in chaos. In the village, people may have a mud house, but they are happy. Nobody lives as filthily as we do in our country. Wherever there are dirty plates, we find shoes right next to them. In no other country have I seen this. That is why I like photography...I want to put across the behaviour of man."

Go watch it if you have time, you won't regret it. :)

Back
Top Bottom