Boonoo Boonoo River, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh now I'm on a very complex bunch of medications, including a special prescription moisturiser that is the fucking bee's knees. I make sure my stocks are more than sufficient every time I leave the country because there's no way I'm getting half of this shit when I'm on holiday. Some of it even my GP here can't prescribe, only a dermatologist.

Yikes

This is surely the first time in my life that I have ever gone out intending to buy pizza and came home with soup.

I must be unwell!

I feel like I should have known....

Yeah, I doubt that comes as a surprise to anybody.

You know you're me when you think you're doing something quite gauche by drinking red wine from a white wine glass.

68 posts before we go to Te Waipounamu.

Tonight.

But where's our pick? Culverden? Cheviot? Hamner Springs? Kaikoura? Seddon? Too many places have had the unholy crap shaken out of them.

Also, the South Island has by FAR the better Maori name than the North Island. Te Ika a Maui lacks either the great symbolism or (to my ears) the aesthetic qualities of Te Wai Pounamu.

But where's our pick? Culverden? Cheviot? Hamner Springs? Kaikoura? Seddon? Too many places have had the unholy crap shaken out of them.

Also, the South Island has by FAR the better Maori name than the North Island. Te Ika a Maui lacks either the great symbolism or (to my ears) the aesthetic qualities of Te Wai Pounamu.

I think Te Wai Pounamu, Aotearoa (Kia Kaha) Superthread has a solid ring to it.

And yes, how about we just adopt the Maori names and own it? Even Te Ika a Maui is better than "North Island". I got my tatts and all future ones at Otutahi tattoo, which is the name for Christchurch.

I remain an advocate of mandatory Te Reo in education.

I think Te Wai Pounamu, Aotearoa (Kia Kaha) Superthread has a solid ring to it.

And yes, how about we just adopt the Maori names and own it? Even Te Ika a Maui is better than "North Island". I got my tatts and all future ones at Otutahi tattoo, which is the name for Christchurch.

I remain an advocate of mandatory Te Reo in education.

Let's go Kaikoura for the town, island, country Maori trifecta then.

We might confuse people a bit if we go for the Maori name of Wellington, Te Whanganui-a-Tara. "I'm going to Whanganui this weekend." "Which one?"

(I love it when people think Poneke is the Maori name. That's a cheap Maorisation of Port Nick!)

Also I must confess I still refer to Mount Egmont. "Mount Taranaki" is redundant and just saying "Taranaki" confuses people into thinking you mean the region.

But the real reason is that it was still Egmont - or at least commonly called Egmont - when I left New Zealand. I similarly have to make a conscious effort not to use "Wanganui" for Whanganui. What you grow up with dies hard.

And yes, I'm with you on compulsory te reo. It was a great part of my primary school education.

Also I must confess I still refer to Mount Egmont. "Mount Taranaki" is redundant and just saying "Taranaki" confuses people into thinking you mean the region.

But the real reason is that it was still Egmont - or at least commonly called Egmont - when I left New Zealand. I similarly have to make a conscious effort not to use "Wanganui" for Whanganui.

I can't roll my R's, but damn I try.

Also I say Mount Taranaki, or "that big motherfucker you're looking at, dad"

I can't roll my R's, but damn I try.

Also I say Mount Taranaki, or "that big motherfucker you're looking at, dad"

:lol:

I roll my R sometimes in Maori words. If I think about it I just can't do it, but as long as I'm just saying it like any other word the roll usually happens. For whatever reason I absolutely cannot roll Rs in English, even though my Central Otagonian mother retains a rolled R in a few words.

:lol:

I roll my R sometimes in Maori words. If I think about it I just can't do it, but as long as I'm just saying it like any other word the roll usually happens. For whatever reason I absolutely cannot roll Rs in English, even though my Central Otagonian mother retains a rolled R in a few words.
I can at times, but I seem to end up almost spitting the words. Going out with a Samoan girl for two years and I couldn't properly say her surname was fucking brilliant.

Oh, one thing I was super surprised to discover when I was reading a book for work: the language of the indigenous Easter Islanders is actually pretty intelligible even to somebody like me with only basic Maori.

Easter Island and New Zealand were the two most far-flung Polynesian outposts. Sure they were both settled from roughly the same part of Central Polynesia, but at very different times and would not have had any mutual exchange in the millennium between the latest date of divergence and European contact. You would expect their languages to diverge.

Yet I was completely taken aback when I discovered their traditional "birdman" was "tangata manu". It would be exactly the same in Maori.

/random

I'm gutted I missed it.

I'm going to try (and probably fail) to learn Te Reo and Samoan alongside my ongoing education.

Better to try and fail than never show intent, and care.

I really want to know what the policy on te reo education was in the nineties, because my school - like any other I knew in the Wellington region - had regular te reo lessons (hell, we even learnt some in kindy!), but whenever I talk to Aucklanders they didn't get that. Since NZ education is centralised I would have expected national consistency on this front.

I promise you, if I assembled a bike it would have one wheel for a handlebar and the other for a seat.

Also, I was pissed off once to discover a very effective steroid medication for eczema that's widely prescribed in Australia is not permitted in NZ!
which one? between my mom and me, i'm familiar with so many, at least the ones legal here.

like it shocked me that neosporin (antibiotic ointment for cuts) wasn't sold there. when i fell back in may and skinned up my knee and leg pretty badly (and then had to go camping that weekend thus meaning it couldn't be properly cleaned all weekend, yay) i'm sure putting neosporin on it immediately was what prevented it from getting infected.

I promise you, if I assembled a bike it would have one wheel for a handlebar and the other for a seat.
lol! i feel rather special in that we assembled it correctly. everything went where it was supposed to, no missing pieces.

it's a cute bike, very me. safely locked up out on our patio until he buys a new bike or brings back his old one from huntsvegas

fair warning i'm medsposting/remnants of uh, idk what you'd say? 420posting? this damn migraine won't go away so i'm trying everything but now i'm bored until i pass out so i'm on here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom