Boonoo Boonoo River, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've put on Black Holes & Revelations. Just to see if there really is a massive gulf between even that and Drones-era output.

Listening to Map of the Problematique, I would suggest that there is quite a bit of a gulf there.

I think I hated absolutely everything on Drones.

There is literally nothing worth hearing on Drones. Black Holes & Revelations was a right letdown when it came out, but in hindsight it's not so bad. There are some good songs, or songs that became good in concert (I never quite warmed to "Map of the Problematique" in the studio but it's pretty enjoyable live). Drones makes me embarrassed to be listening for it, and disappointed that anybody willingly participated in recording it.

I'm not sure what's worse, Drones or that Dream Theater album, The Astonishing. Both are good examples of bands thinking they have a worthwhile message or story that is so poorly conceived it has the coherence of dog vomit.

Here comes that rain! Bloody glad I'm not outside now. Not very heavy but definitely almost horizontal.

Good lord, are you travelling to- oh wait you're in Auckland, yes, that makes complete sense.

You could just drive. I mean, that's what Auckland's been built for since the 1950s.

How on earth do you survive in Auckland without a car?!

I kind of hope I never score a job at an Auckland university because I've fuck all idea how I would get around.

Admittedly I'm somewhat spoiled with the convenience of where I currently live, to the point that if I get this job at La Trobe I'm going to keep living here despite about an hour-long commute. On the occasions I look around at other places none of them can offer such a good location - or, for that matter, it seems rare to find anywhere with a similarly well-sized kitchen.

I confess a strong aversion to commuting, in part because of just how unbelievably spoiled I was with my very first place back in Brisbane when I studied at UQ. I lived off campus, yet almost every class and the library was within ten minutes' walk from my door. I was closer than the people living in halls of residence!

So every commute since then has seemed long, even if my current one is all of about 18-20 minutes, maybe 25 if I make the mistake of going at the worst part of the morning peak.

I'm pretty spoiled now. I've got a direct route to town, or two choices of buses to connect to the bus way, with 2 to 4 minute frequencies. Not to mention I also have the Shore campus if I just need to be on site to focus.

I don't mind commuting. It gives me mental prepare/debrief time.

Actually in a way I do see the perk to a longer commute. I used to live a little further out, and it was just long enough a tram ride to get a decent bit of reading done. But now the tram part of my commute is only about 10-12 minutes (the rest is walking the couple of blocks to my office), so it's not really worth getting out a book. I just get out my phone and flick through the news in the morning and Twitter in the evening instead.

So at least I'll get more reading done if I end up working at La Trobe!

Haha yeah your commute definitely has better views than mine.

Though I do reckon I'm on probably the best tram line in the city. The route through Royal Park is lovely.

Speaking of good commutes, when I lived in Brisbane, even if it took longer, I usually chose the river ferries to get to the CBD rather than the bus/train combo. Those were a great way to travel, especially standing up the front on a hot summer day.

It's a shame that the fuck-ugly Southeastern Freeway buggers up some of the view along the way.

I'm actually not sure I ever used a bus in Queensland until after I stopped living there (school excursions excepted).

And holy shit that bus attack in Moorooka.

Bad week for Queensland. I'm still a bit stunned by the Dreamworld thing - that was possibly my favourite ride there. Can't count the amount of times I did it and tried to get as soaked as possible. I get how the two poor sods who fell into the conveyor belt didn't emerge alive, but I'm a little flummoxed how it could possibly have been going fast enough that the two flung out also died.

Yep. No reports of deaths so far, but by the sounds of the reports about how much has collapsed, this doesn't seem like it will have a happy ending.

I had set myself a couple of writing goals for tonight.

Instead I just found myself reading about Kim Philby and other double agents. Oops.

Fuck I'm pleasantly cool after a weekend that was too warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom